Burning The Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Burning The Bible?
Here's a questions, is it okay the burn the bible?

I mean, if it's okay to use any other book as kindling for a fire, why is it people get so angry when one does so to the bible.
I have seen plenty of youtubers burn the bible, and all the comments shouting disrespectful. But yet... If a Christian were to burn the Quran, no one really bats an eyes (Well save for left wing apologist but you get what I mean) but it seems both sides get up an arms if one were to burn the bible?

So what gives? What makes it so disrespectful to burn a bible on the internet? Why is it I see so many people telling said youtubers to do the same in front of radical Muslims (although these youtubers have gotten death threats from both sides) and see what happens. Granted even though one is in a American it's like one can't do their own freedom of speech.
All for what, living your life in fear that if you don't respect another religious belief you might die?

What do you think? Are these people just butthurt or is it disrespectful to burn a religious text?

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2017, 01:46 PM
RE: Burning The Bible?
It's as ok as any other book. Though I personally wouldn't, because I don't believe in burning literature.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 5 users Like Loom's post
16-02-2017, 01:49 PM
(16-02-2017 01:44 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  What do you think? ...is it disrespectful to burn a religious text?

Yes. Most people who burn Bibles are doing so for the specific purpose of showing their disrespect.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
16-02-2017, 01:50 PM
(16-02-2017 01:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(16-02-2017 01:44 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  What do you think? ...is it disrespectful to burn a religious text?

Yes. Most people who burn Bibles are doing so for the specific purpose of showing their disrespect.

Big Grin

Okay then how come it's okay to burn the American flag in the same sentence? Just curious. Because many who say it's not okay to burn bibles it's okay to burn a flag?

"Governments don't want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking That is against their interests.
They want obedient workers people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork And just dumb enough to passively accept it."

- George Carlin
16-02-2017, 01:57 PM
(16-02-2017 01:50 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  
(16-02-2017 01:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Yes. Most people who burn Bibles are doing so for the specific purpose of showing their disrespect.

Big Grin

Okay then how come it's okay to burn the American flag in the same sentence? Just curious. Because many who say it's not okay to burn bibles it's okay to burn a flag?

I think the two are roughly equivalent. I have no problem with people burning either Bibles or flags (as long as they're observing fire safety principles), but in both cases, they are doing so specifically to piss of those who revere Bibles and/or flags. Being disrespectful is the whole point. I don't think either practice is more or less disrespectful or offensive than the other. The flag is just as much a sacred object to a patriot as the Bible is to a Christian. I know people who would be extremely upset by flag-burning (my father was one of them).
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
16-02-2017, 02:06 PM
Guess that makes sense, I just don't see the reason why people are not allowed to do certain things because it might offend people? I think those who do so should be allowed to do so if they live in America they can if they so feel like burn the flag or bible.

I think what I don't get is why if they can do so, why are people so hateful when they do so telling them they are just horrible people? Sure say a mean comment, but the fact you do so won't change that they can, just as burning the book or flag wont' change anything either.

So why all the controversy and anger? Can't things just be that simple?

- George Carlin
16-02-2017, 02:08 PM
(16-02-2017 01:44 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Here's a questions, is it okay the burn the bible?

I mean, if it's okay to use any other book as kindling for a fire, why is it people get so angry when one does so to the bible.
I have seen plenty of youtubers burn the bible, and all the comments shouting disrespectful. But yet... If a Christian were to burn the Quran, no one really bats an eyes (Well save for left wing apologist but you get what I mean) but it seems both sides get up an arms if one were to burn the bible?
I thought when a Christian burns a bible then some radical Muslim takes it upon themselves to kill a random Christian.
16-02-2017, 02:10 PM
(16-02-2017 01:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  

Big Grin
Is there facts behind this?
I would have thought most bibles that get burnt, get burnt without ceremony, without video taping. Just quietly go away. Perhaps they are damaged books or perhaps the owner got a better version or perhaps they changed religion or became atheist, or perhaps they inherited the book along with other junk from their deceased parents.
16-02-2017, 02:16 PM
Would it be more disrespectful of me to burn a bible than it would be for a Christian to try to force their beliefs on me?
I don't see a lot of bible burning videos online (unless I went looking for them) but, all I have to do is read the news and I'll find at least one case of religion trying to be pushed into places it doesn't belong.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
16-02-2017, 02:21 PM
As a rule I do not destroy books and prefer to give them away, and in fact have "recycled" Bibles and other scriptures to thrift stores and book fairs. However, I once burned a damaged Bible section that I had found in the back alley. At the time it seemed more respectful than tearing it up and/or tossing it in the trash bin alongside bags of used cat litter.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user