Burning The Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2017, 02:24 PM
RE: Burning The Bible?
While I don't see much sense in burning books in general I couldn't care less about burning Bible. Christians see this as disrespectful? Tough shit, their mythology doesn't warrant any respect.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
16-02-2017, 02:28 PM
Well I've got to wonder why someone would do it. Obviously they're making some kind of statement and they feel there's a symbolic significance, if not for themselves then surely for some of the people who will see it. I don't necessarily have a problem with taking somewhat jarring actions to provoke people, but I think it depends on what the point is you're trying to make. To me, it's antics like Bible-burning that paint our otherwise legitimate "movement" in a bad light. If you feel you have to upset people and challenge that which they literally consider holy, you'd better have some worthwhile idea to go along with the provocation or else its just a self-indulgent action.

Also, a society of book-burners isn't what I think we should strive to be. Why bother burning a book that is so easily debunked?
16-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Better to mark them up with stickies with all the things we know are debunked. Granted that's a fortune in stickies, but what the hell. Laugh out load

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
16-02-2017, 02:49 PM
(16-02-2017 02:10 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-02-2017 01:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Yes. Most people who burn Bibles are doing so for the specific purpose of showing their disrespect.

Big Grin
Is there facts behind this?
I would have thought most bibles that get burnt, get burnt without ceremony, without video taping. Just quietly go away. Perhaps they are damaged books or perhaps the owner got a better version or perhaps they changed religion or became atheist, or perhaps they inherited the book along with other junk from their deceased parents.

It's possible that more Bibles are burned for those reasons -- but nobody gets upset about those cases, and I don't think the OP was referring to those.

However, as an objective statement of fact, what I said might be incorrect.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
16-02-2017, 03:07 PM
(16-02-2017 02:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  However, as an objective statement of fact, what I said might be incorrect.

Never admit to saying something that is incorrect. It shows that you are weak.
You were offering alternative facts.

Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
16-02-2017, 03:26 PM
(16-02-2017 01:44 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Here's a questions, is it okay the burn the bible?

Absolutely! Shy Though I'd suggest using it as toilet paper; you'll get more use out of it, that way. Thumbsup

16-02-2017, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2017 03:49 PM by abaris.)
I have a bad feeling whenever any book is burned to make a political or social statement. The reason for this is may 10th 1933.

I think the best way to deal with bibles or any holy book is how this bookshop did it.

[Image: o-BIBLE-facebook.jpg]

I can also roll with something like this. No, not the removal part.

Quote:A Finnish toilet paper maker has removed quotes from the Bible, including the words of Jesus, that it inadvertently placed on its rolls after protests from some Norwegian church leaders.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBR...4?irpc=935
16-02-2017, 05:48 PM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2017 05:53 PM by Reltzik.)
(16-02-2017 01:44 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Here's a questions, is it okay the burn the bible?

I mean, if it's okay to use any other book as kindling for a fire, why is it people get so angry when one does so to the bible.
I have seen plenty of youtubers burn the bible, and all the comments shouting disrespectful. But yet... If a Christian were to burn the Quran, no one really bats an eyes (Well save for left wing apologist but you get what I mean) but it seems both sides get up an arms if one were to burn the bible?

So what gives? What makes it so disrespectful to burn a bible on the internet? Why is it I see so many people telling said youtubers to do the same in front of radical Muslims (although these youtubers have gotten death threats from both sides) and see what happens. Granted even though one is in a American it's like one can't do their own freedom of speech.
All for what, living your life in fear that if you don't respect another religious belief you might die?

What do you think? Are these people just butthurt or is it disrespectful to burn a religious text?

Is it disrespectful? Definitely. But that's kinda the point. They haven't earned that respect and they have no right to demand it. (Well, they can VOICE demands all they want, but the demands are baseless.)

Are they just butthurt? No. Religious offense at blasphemy is far, far, far more extreme than just being butthurt. ... it's kinda alike, but the degree of difference is huge. It's like, butthurt is bathwater so hot that it's kinda uncomfortable, and religious offense is scalding third-degree-burn territory.

A Christian pastor just THREATENED to burn kroans and it sparked off a wave of violence in the Middle East. It's not a "no one bats an eye" thing. Again, religious offense is far, far worse than butthurt.

Should we burn Bibles? Definitely not. They put some toxic crap in them to give the paper that special feel and if you burn them the smoke can give you cancer. Seriously, Bibles are carcinogenic if burned. If you're looking for some desecration of sacred texts, I recommend ceremonies to deposit them in port-a-potties instead.

But okay, in all seriousness? NO, the religious have no right, legal or moral, to stop you from desecrating their texts, so long as you own the copy in question. (Burning someone ELSE's copy, without their permission, is of course illegal. And, well, no legal right in THIS country, the United States. Don't know where you live, so I can't say for sure what laws apply to you.) You have done them no actual harm in burning their favorite book. That said, I don't think desecration is good tactics. It enrages and mobilizes our opponents without making a good case for our own position and without really producing any benefit for our cause. High cost, no reward. That's about as dumb of a strategic move as you can make. Instead, we should be looking for ways to take the wind out of their sails and make them doubt what they have faith in (assuming we give a damn about the fight at all, which a lot of atheists don't). Burning Bibles, or Korans, is the wrong way to go.
[+] 4 users Like Reltzik's post
16-02-2017, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't burn a book, actually anyone who can read should read the Bible and either accept or reject the beliefs and stories within it. Everyone should have the information and read other books too, just read! Books are awesome!

One thing I saw recently was a video of an "exorcism" where the guy kept putting the bible on the possessed person like what will that do exactly? He acted like it burned him but it's just a fucking book, it's just pieces of paper bound in leather. Paper and leather doesn't burn human skin or demon skin, it just doesn't. But yeah, certain theists think their holy books are magical and mystical so if you burn it, that's really bad and not nice or whatever but how would that even be possible? If the Bible is magical shouldn't it be impervious to flame? If it can be used to literally drive demons out of people you would think it would be indestructible...hmmmm...yeah it's just a fucking book I guess.

Most importantly though, you can read the full bible online. Just go to Bible Hub or Bible Gateway and you can even read different versions of the book all day long if you want, no physical book required but yeah don't burn the Bible or the Koran or Harry Potter books, just read them or don't read them, no one really cares in the end. Not even God, since he's not doing anything to stop it.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
16-02-2017, 10:57 PM
Oh, and let me be clear about something.

Burning INDIVIDUAL books, single copies, that I'm okay with. You're not censoring anything like that. So long as it's nowhere near unique, you haven't robbed anyone of the opportunity to read anything.

But burning ALL copies a book? Or most of the copies of a book? Or the particular copy that belonged to such-and-such famous figure? Or any original documents that are of historical value? Or unique signed copies of a book? That's crossing a line.

(Also, I don't want to get rid of the Bible. It's the most effective book for creating atheists ever.)
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post