Burning The Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2017, 01:36 AM
RE: Burning The Bible?
(16-02-2017 11:10 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Seems stupid to me.......

After all -- it makes such great asswipe.

I say put it to good use instead..............

Careful. Those gilded edges are sharp.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2017, 01:41 AM
You'd think God would show some sort of disapproval, wouldn't you? He doesn't seem to care.

Oh wait, lets randomly point to some bad event and blame it on burning bibles.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2017, 01:59 AM
(16-02-2017 01:46 PM)Loom Wrote:  It's as ok as any other book. Though I personally wouldn't, because I don't believe in burning literature.

except the world wold be better off without THAT pathetic excuse for literature existing, the same applies to every religious book

The more one asserts their own unquestioned preconceived beliefs, the more demanding I will be for empirical evidence for I will accept nothing else in place of it
17-02-2017, 02:09 AM
They would be fine if they didn't have myths surrounding them. Then they would be no more dangerous than Lord of the Rings, and would still offer something of an insight into the mentality of primitive cultures.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-02-2017, 08:48 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2017 09:47 AM by mordant.)
One must keep in mind that internally, the human mind deals largely in symbols and symbolism. That is why burning ANY book is something that makes many uncomfortable. That is why, e.g., the Nazis held book burnings. It is a ritualistic demonstration of disdain for the ideas in those books. Intellectually anyone with an IQ over about 80 understands pretty well that it's just paper and ink and burning it is no more consequential than burning cut timber. It is what the books represent that makes us uneasy. And this is also partially a holdover from the days before and even to an extent after the advent of the printing press, when books were scarce, expensive and dear, and held the sum total of all accumulated human knowledge (there were no alternate repositories like computer databases). If you burned a book back then, you were in actual danger of silencing that author and anything of value he said, forever -- because there weren't tens of thousands or even millions of copies of it in existence, you might well be burning the last copy or at least the last complete and accessible one.

The symbolism in burning the Bible is a complete lack of respect for something that most of society has held in high esteem since time out of mind. It is arguably the most popular book ever published, and has historically enjoyed, along with Christian theology in general, a sort of untouchableness, a taboo to critique, and all sorts of un-earned respect and deference to its ludicrous / extraordinary and entirely unsubstantiated claims. To the point where I would even have a slight flutter of angst about burning a Bible, and would not care to be seen doing it. It almost doesn't matter that it's just paper and ink and that there are likely tens of millions of copies in various languages in broom closets and forgotten shelves all over the world.

Come to think of it, that probably means that forcing yourself to burn a Bible might be a good exercise in the positive use of ritual. It would be a great help in making a psychological break from Christian ideology, to whatever extent a person might still need to make that break.
17-02-2017, 09:07 AM
I figure they are pissed that you were able to figure out something more practical and applicable to use the bible for. It isn't worth reading and it sure as hell isn't worth following.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
17-02-2017, 09:12 AM
Well, every time a Christian's house burns down, I assume at least one Bible goes up in flames...if God feels that's okay, why should it bother me?

Seriously, a public burning of an object like a bible or flag is a loaded communication. Usually it's a sign of disrespect or protest. (When the government does the burning, though, watch out)
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
17-02-2017, 09:23 AM
(17-02-2017 09:12 AM)julep Wrote:  Well, every time a Christian's house burns down, I assume at least one Bible goes up in flames...if God feels that's okay, why should it bother me?
Excellent point, but that doesn't stop Christians from cherry-picking. Sometime in the past couple of months I recall seeing an article (might even have been cited somewhere on these fora) about a tornado tearing through a church somewhere in the US but leaving the Bible on the lectern (1) undamaged and (2) allegedly flipped to a page upon which was, IIRC, the verse, "god is our refuge, a very present help in time of trouble". And of course the locals were agog at this, and somehow it made up for the church being substantially destroyed, as well as the countless churches completely leveled by various means, that church during the early 60s civil rights struggle where children were killed when it was bombed (doubtless some of them carrying Bibles), and on and on. In other words their various totemic objects are hailed as supernatural when they survive a disaster or stop a bullet or whatever, but never regarded as disappointing when they don't.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
17-02-2017, 09:33 AM
We had a member on here in the past who said he used to draw penises in hotel Bibles. Much more effective than burning them, imo Wink
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
17-02-2017, 09:56 AM
Instead of burning a bible, which adds CO2 into the atmosphere, I prefer to add it to my compost pile.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results