Burning The Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2017, 02:45 PM
RE: Burning The Bible?
I mean, if you just picked up this book randomly off the shelf, you'd assume it was a work of mostly fiction, with a few historical events woven in. The only reason a person would think otherwise is that they've been conditioned to think there is something special about the book.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2017, 02:51 PM
(17-02-2017 02:37 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  They say it because they've been indoctrinated to say it. That's mostly how religion works. It's clear many Christians don't care what the book says, or even know what it says.

Very little of what Christians say about their religion makes any sense to me at all.

I agree

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
17-02-2017, 03:44 PM
(17-02-2017 01:51 PM)Alla Wrote:  
Robvalue Wrote:It's generally Christians who say this. It's got all his rules in it, and Christians tend to say the people who wrote it were "inspired" by God. It's got hundreds of rules, which are supposed to have come from him.
Exactly. But why do they say this? Do they have the commandment(rule) from God that the Bible is His book and to burn it is against His will?
Does the Bible claim that ALL God's rules are in it?
Does the Bible clam that it is "inspired" of God? I don't think so.

Then why do they say this?
Depends on who you talk to. For example some people will say that there is ongoing revelation (allowing, for example, the Book of Mormon to be regarded as inspired in addition to the Bible, or allowing for a "prophetic gift" where god speaks through anointed individuals to some extent such as the Mormon First Presidency). Others will say if it's not in the Bible, it's not of god -- that the Bible contains 100% of god's revelation, and no further revelation is needed. In between those positions are hybrids. Most Christians at least allow for God speaking to individuals directly or through circumstances or "answered" prayer so long as it's something the Bible is silent about or at least is not in conflict with the Bible, such as getting direction about a life choice of some kind.

However, what most of Christendom agrees on is that the Bible is the Word of God and that it should be treated with respect. The Bible does not address this because it is a collection of 66 books, many of which do not even make a direct claim of being inspired for themselves, much less for the eventual collection that we know today. But evolved tradition addresses it and there are therefore strong societal taboos against it. I am sure that at certain times in history, if you burned a Bible you might have any number of bad things happen to you, from being accused of being a witch to being excommunicated from the church (which in much of human history, meant being ostracized from society itself). It has widely been considered a form of blasphemy. It is, after all, supposed to be the "Holy" Bible.

As for the Bible claiming to be inspired, that usually comes from the verse "All scripture is inspired of god and profitable for teaching, reproof, correction and instruction in righteousness" (2 Tim 3:16). People quoting this forget that "all scripture" would have referred at the time of writing to, at most, the Old Testament and whatever fragments of the New Testament had gained general acceptance, which, at the time of Paul's writings, were probably far from universally accepted, given that the gospels didn't even exist yet. Still, most people today act as if that's applicable to the totality of the OT and NT that we have in hand today.

You may not be aware of the degree to which some Christian traditions raise the Bible up onto such a pedestal that they have been accused of "Bibliolatry". Your faith tradition is relatively liberal by comparison, especially in it not considering "the canon of scripture to be closed" and allowing for subsequent books to gain currency as holy writ on an equal footing with the Bible. This is heresy to many Christians. So is your Church's lack of acceptance / conformity to traditional creeds. So when people here address the claims of Christianity, like it or not, it tends to be the claims of mainstream Christianity and often, because of the kinds of visitors we get in places like this and to their outsized political influence, to the claims of evangelical / fundamentalist Christianity in particular. So the things being said by RobValue and others are not uninformed, they are just alien to the dogma you're accustomed to.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
17-02-2017, 04:34 PM
(16-02-2017 01:44 PM)Ruby Crystal Wrote:  Here's a questions, is it okay the burn the bible?

Still burning religious books and Bibles in my house in Germany ...

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...hed-a-book
19-02-2017, 12:52 AM
(16-02-2017 02:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Better to mark them up with stickies with all the things we know are debunked.
Now there's a business opportunity: Make up and sell sheets of "Gideon Stickers" for when we travel to stick onto the appropriate pages in the Gideon bibles. Each sticker makes its page thick enough to make the book tend to open at those pages, and each sticker has printed on it the debunking paragraph (or just an arrow with an exclamation point for where the bible debunks itself better than any added comment could accomplish).
[+] 3 users Like Airportkid's post
19-02-2017, 09:12 AM
My husband goes through the Gideon Bible in hotel rooms highlighting all the mental stuff, like Leviticus and Deuteronomy. I personally prefer to make the book unreadable somehow. I can't remember who it was who mentioned putting one in a freezer over night. I do remember once the last day before the summer holidays as a child a bottle of water broke in my school bag and soaked a text book. I forgot to take it out until term started again a couple of months later by which time the book had dried out and become a solid block of wood. Soaking one in the basin would probably be the best treatment for a Gideon Bible and is what I did in the last hotel I stayed at which had one in the drawers. It stops people from reading it but the people who replace the Gideon Bibles might not realise that it needs a new one.
25-02-2017, 08:57 PM
I don't like to see *any* book burned.

Humanity is built on ideas...good and bad.

How can we know if good or bad ideas exist if we've burned the source?

Disappointing theists since 1968
25-02-2017, 09:16 PM
(25-02-2017 08:57 PM)A. Secular Human Wrote:  I don't like to see *any* book burned.

Can you list—specifically—any good ideas in the Christian bible? Do you personally abide by any information therein, or are you guided by any of its philosophies?

And without reading the bible, would you be a lesser person?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
26-02-2017, 01:31 AM
(25-02-2017 08:57 PM)A. Secular Human Wrote:  I don't like to see *any* book burned.

Burning the book does not erase idea, if it was the case then it would be easy to end racism by destroying books written de Gobineau and other idiots of the same stripe.

Also contrary to what Bulgakov said manuscript do burn, but in this time making torch of one book means nothing, there are hundreds more.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-02-2017, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2017 05:18 AM by EvolutionKills.)
Context, as always, is key.

Burning books does, historically, have a negative connotation by it's association with information control; a tool of control often employed by dictators, fascists, demagogues, and those aspiring to such. Does that make the act of burning a book bad or immoral? Certainly not. In an extreme situation, burning a book maybe be a crucial means of survival; such as a source of heat for warmth or cooking. If you're burning the book as a means of protest? Depends on the context. The formerly religious may see such actions, particularly the burning of their own possessions, as a type of cathartic release. Nothing wrong with that. However when fundamentalists Christians stage mass Quran burning? More often than not it's done as a means of deliberate provocation and hate; an act of which often bears a frightening irony (You're worshiping the wrong book of barbaric bronze age fairy tales!) that they're entirely oblivious to. The classic go-to example is the ritualistic book burning staged by religious leaders, and later copied by ultra-nationalists and fascists, as a means of propaganda, control, and the silencing of dissent. That context bears quite frightening ethical implications.

So I'd have no issues with someone burning their own books as a mean of protest, catharsis, or some other ethically neutral impact (e.g. using an old bible as rolling paper for smoking). I would take umbrage with people burning books that belonged to other people or the public trust (Nazi bonfires), or when done with otherwise malicious intent (the Westboro Baptists burning Qurans on Ramadan).

I mean, really, if you want to piss off a Muslim, don't burn a Quran. Draw Muhammad instead! Rolleyes

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]