Burning in hell at primary school

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Burning in hell at primary school
I live in New Zealand which is a relatively secular country so I was suprised to learn today that my 6 year old is being told by his peers that he is going to hell because he doesn't believe in God. I don't know what to say to him. How do I explain he has nothing to worry about?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Kirst's post
21-10-2015, 09:16 PM
RE: Burning in hell at primary school
Hi Kirst, welcome to TTA.
Maybe you could try to explain that some people believe things like that are true, but that they're really nothing more than fairytales. Maybe use some stories he knows as examples.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
21-10-2015, 09:31 PM
Good idea to use fairytales a as examples
21-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Hello from across the Tasman. Smile

So.. is your young-un enrolled in a regular school?

Is this message coming from their friends and peers?
21-10-2015, 09:39 PM
(21-10-2015 09:06 PM)Kirst Wrote:  I live in New Zealand which is a relatively secular country so I was suprised to learn today that my 6 year old is being told by his peers that he is going to hell because he doesn't believe in God. I don't know what to say to him. How do I explain he has nothing to worry about?

Dude's gonna explain shit to you.

#sigh
21-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Regular school, this is coming from his peers. if it was coming from a teacher it would be easy to deal with.

He does go to the fort nightly voluntary bible classes. They have strict guidelines about the language they can use and what they can talk about, I'm pretty sure it's not coming from there. I went to these bible classes as a kid and it was a great way for me to develop critical thinking.
21-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Hi and Welcome Smile

I would tell him that these are just stories that were made up by people a long time ago. They came up with these stories to try and explain the world around them by using their imagination. I would use examples of how he uses his imagination during play time and how these people from long ago used their imagination to come up with these stories too. I would also explain to him that some people and kids still believe in these stories, but they are not real. There is no real life monster, he's just a character in a story people made up using their imagination, so nothing to be afraid of.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
22-10-2015, 12:07 AM
You can also tell him that according to most religions including Christianity, as a young child who has not had time to find out too much about the world, God will let him off. Might be enough to shut down the fear of hell thing or at least mitigate it.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
22-10-2015, 01:05 AM
It's hard to remember what it was like being 6.

Wendy Becker. I remember her. :sigh:

Sorry.

I think I would have wanted a smart come-back.

Something like "Oh yeah? Where's your evidence?"

Imagine that being repeated by those peers to their parents. Big Grin

If your son is asked, "what do you mean?" or "what's evidence?"

The reply can be: "you know, science and stuff. It's why we have landers on Mars. Did your God manage that? Didn't think so."

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
22-10-2015, 06:48 AM
I tell my children that some people believe that, and others believe something else. I tell them stories of what people around the world believe and that some believe none of the above. When asked I tell them what I believe.

Lately my daughter started to worry about end times prophecy so I plan on reading Revelations with her while explaining that it was written by "some guy in a Roman prison camp" and explaining all of the times people have thought the end is nigh over two millennia.

I think perspective is the best defence against indoctrination.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 5 users Like Hafnof's post