Business is crazy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-07-2014, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 23-07-2014 07:52 AM by BlackMason.)
Business is crazy
When I was younger I thought the sky was the limit. I thought I could do anything. I wanted to be a businessman back then. I dreamed of having my own business. Then I grew up. I found out that most people that are successful business people are so because they have connections to the government. If not they primarily have government contracts. In my country corruption is rife and anyone wanting a piece of the big pie pretty much needs to be dealing in government contracts. But everyone with a government contract is snarled at by the public and are called regurgitators of tax payers' money. It's a dirty dirty scene. These people walk around beating their chests like they are some business champions. Pfff....whatever. They have little business acumen. They're just feeding off of their buddies currently in government.

I don't want anything to do with government contracts. I want to do something unique. I just wanna be amazing. I hate it when people say I'm smart. I hate it because it's not true. My self esteem is shit right now. I've sworn off dating until I can get out of this fucking pit. I'm the image of a guy passed out from a knock out punch lying in his own vomit and piss. I want my swagger back. I have no idea what kind of business I want to do. I want to do something that I can be awesome at. I don't want a government contract. I don't want to do anything that relies on luck like submitting a bid. The fuck is that....undercover gambling. You can lose out to someone that doesn't have the same ability as you just because they had a better price.

How can I get smarter? How can I start living up to my full potential? How does one make that critical step from having no ideas to having something worth more than solid gold? I'm stuck at step zero. A quick look on the net will show you that a lot of the business talk for entrepreneurs is very vague. Governments are encouraging their youth to take advantage of business opportunities afforded by their freedom. They're urging people to throw themselves at business when it's so abstract. It's like a black hole! Sure I want in but how?

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-07-2014, 07:45 AM
RE: Business is crazy
Do something simple. ie: You don't need a government contract to open a restaurant.
There's plenty of business out there that don't require government contracts.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
23-07-2014, 07:51 AM
(23-07-2014 07:45 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Do something simple. ie: You don't need a government contract to open a restaurant.
There's plenty of business out there that don't require government contracts.
Yeah, but don't try to open a pizza restaurant, because that would be fucking stupid.

Angel

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
23-07-2014, 08:00 AM
Service businesses targeting the ones with government contracts should do well in that scenario.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-07-2014, 04:29 PM
What are you good at and what do you enjoy doing that others would pay for?

"Do what you love and the money will follow" is an old axiom that is worth noting.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
23-07-2014, 06:36 PM
So what you do is you trace what all the government contractors do after work in your neck of the woods.

Then you pick out things that they do NOT like to do but are part of their lives..

Then you figure out how to help them achieve/avoid these things with ease.

You pick one that you would have little competition for. Or better yet, a new idea.

Now you can use common resources to draw up a business plan.

Service businesses have the advantage that you can start them on a shoe string. And they can be very profitable. And if you want a career as entrepreneur, they are the perfect way to get your feet wet. No one says you have to do the same thing for life. Build it, make it profitable, sell it and do something more appealing. But this first business, a service business, will give you the needed experience.

There are no schools to teach you how to be a successful entrepreneur. There are things for you to utilize, like business planning and various courses, but there is only one way to get off the ground - get your feet wet.

If you have no money, you may have to perform the service yourself at the very first, but the idea is to rapidly shift this to someone working for you. You sell the service and run the business, someone else performs the service. Then keep adding people as you go. Your job is to grow the business, not to perform the service.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
24-07-2014, 01:50 AM
Dom, this is great advice. You came up with it so quickly too. I like it because you're almost always guaranteed work. You're not at the front line having to deal directly with the government's bullshit. That's up to the client.

Alternatively I was thinking of coming up with an idea that the public needs or can benefit from. Then the next step would be to contact the government to ask them for a slice of the pie to get me to do the deed for them. As usual the problem is getting the idea. Also I'd need a way to cover my back. I don't want to pitch something to those crooks only to have them turn their backs and give the idea to one of their mates. That happened to my cousin.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
24-07-2014, 09:27 AM
(24-07-2014 01:50 AM)BlackMason Wrote:  Dom, this is great advice. You came up with it so quickly too. I like it because you're almost always guaranteed work. You're not at the front line having to deal directly with the government's bullshit. That's up to the client.

Alternatively I was thinking of coming up with an idea that the public needs or can benefit from. Then the next step would be to contact the government to ask them for a slice of the pie to get me to do the deed for them. As usual the problem is getting the idea. Also I'd need a way to cover my back. I don't want to pitch something to those crooks only to have them turn their backs and give the idea to one of their mates. That happened to my cousin.

I still think you should stay away from the government itself but target those who have government contracts. You will not only build a business but you will make connections that will help you later. Also, the public is not really a good target, it's very fluid. You need a specific target group, so you can learn about them in detail and offer a very targeted service. You want something now that is secure as far as income goes, and that will allow you to draw a salary after a short time while you manage others, plow as much money as you can back into the business, and grow it.

Getting entangled in government loans takes all your freedoms and gives you lots of headaches and useless busy work and waste. Not to mention pressure.

You can be much more efficient by yourself.

07-08-2014, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2014 08:37 PM by Michael Colton.)
Not to necro a thread, but the other thing to consider is experience. What sort of businesses do you have the most experience with? What are your skills? Find something you are interested in and explore employment opportunities within that industry to see if it is something that interests you. The world is filled with empty offices where people opened a business they knew little about or merely thought they would enjoy but had no background or experience in it. Unless you are inventing a brand new product that does not currently exist, the industry you become involved in already exists - so you can go and become involved in it to see if it fits well with you.

Edit: And the reason most entrepreneurial advice is vague is because all specific business advice depends on the industry in question - there is very little advice that can be given across all industries that is not vague or simple bookkeeping.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user