Businesses of Any Size and Accommodate Trans Employees

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Businesses of Any Size and Accommodate Trans Employees
This is an interesting article from Slate.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/better_life_l...oyees.html

At my company, I guess they basically went the way of the "golden rule" approach since we don't have an HR department here.

Quote:Although detailed employment policies are tailored for the needs of large corporations with an extensive human resources infrastructure, having a workplace that accommodates the needs of transgender employees shouldn’t be a stretch for smaller businesses. “It comes down to the golden rule,” says Keisling of NCTE. “Treat other people as you’d like to be treated, treat your employees like they’re people, and treat everybody the same.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Emma's post
08-06-2017, 08:49 AM
RE: Businesses of Any Size and Accommodate Trans Employees
I never understand why people make things harder than they need to be in the first place. It is possible for us to all coexist and respect that each person is going to live how they feel the most comfortable. If it's not hurting anybody, get your head out of your ass, people and just let everyone be. I'm glad your company is a good one. I wish more companies across the board would follow the golden rule as well.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
08-06-2017, 08:51 AM
(08-06-2017 08:34 AM)Emma Wrote:  This is an interesting article from Slate.

At my company, I guess they basically went the way of the "golden rule" approach since we don't have an HR department here.

Quote:Although detailed employment policies are tailored for the needs of large corporations with an extensive human resources infrastructure, having a workplace that accommodates the needs of transgender employees shouldn’t be a stretch for smaller businesses. “It comes down to the golden rule,” says Keisling of NCTE. “Treat other people as you’d like to be treated, treat your employees like they’re people, and treat everybody the same.”

My daughter is out looking for a summer job here in Portland but it's a pretty progressive city so most workplaces are ok with transgender concerns. Once you step outside of the city though it's a whole nother world. Seattle is another progressive city as is San Francisco. I think I read that Portland, Seattle and San Francisco are three of the best places for trans people to live. We're very fortunate.

My daughter has a girlfriend who is trans but she lives in Indiana (Pence country) and the poor girl is miserable. She had to quit working at ToysRus because of the harassment so she's trying to find a way to move out here, but of course, she has no job now and no money to make the move. She lives with her family who is kind ok with her being trans but kinda not.....if that makes sense.

Sometimes I wish there was a support group that would help trans people set up their lives in safer places so they're not beaten and scorned. Do you know if something like this exists, Emma?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
08-06-2017, 08:58 AM
(08-06-2017 08:51 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

My daughter is out looking for a summer job here in Portland but it's a pretty progressive city so most workplaces are ok with transgender concerns. Once you step outside of the city though it's a whole nother world. Seattle is another progressive city as is San Francisco. I think I read that Portland, Seattle and San Francisco are three of the best places for trans people to live. We're very fortunate.

My daughter has a girlfriend who is trans but she lives in Indiana (Pence country) and the poor girl is miserable. She had to quit working at ToysRus because of the harassment so she's trying to find a way to move out here, but of course, she has no job now and no money to make the move. She lives with her family who is kind ok with her being trans but kinda not.....if that makes sense.

Sometimes I wish there was a support group that would help trans people set up their lives in safer places so they're not beaten and scorned. Do you know if something like this exists, Emma?

Yes, SF is very progressive. LGBT are very much a part of life and society here and are not treated as less than. Now of course, there are little pockets of CA with a few fucks in it, but not like you would find other places.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
08-06-2017, 08:58 AM
(08-06-2017 08:51 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  

To my knowledge nothing like that exists as an organized entity. But I had a group of friends on Twitter a while back that was trying to organize putting trans people in need together with donors willing to provide money and/or support to a trans person needing to flee an unsafe environment. I haven't been in touch with any of them since I left Twitter, though, so I don't know where that stands. But I'd suggest that your daughter's girl friend look into some Twitter support groups- the trans community there is amazing. Also, maybe think about setting up a gofundme or something?