But Biblical slavery wasn't the same!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2015, 04:41 PM
RE: But Biblical slavery wasn't the same!
(24-08-2015 04:39 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 04:36 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Or, perhaps just as importantly, that many women's libbers are men.

And some women's libbers who are men also have men. Smile

Yeah I can see why they might've left that part out. Laugh out load

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
24-08-2015, 04:43 PM
(24-08-2015 04:34 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Read Leviticus 25, the whole chapter. It CLEARLY spells out the difference between indentured servitude (for Jews) and slavery (for non-Jews), and the fact that slaves were permanent property, to be willed to your children, etc., while indentured servants could/would be set free under most of the provisions in chapter 25. But verses 44-46 are quite explicit about slavery:

44 "As for your male and female slaves whom you may have—you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you. 45 Then, too, it is out of the sons of the sojourners who live as aliens among you that you may gain acquisition, and out of their families who are with you, whom they will have produced in your land; they also may become your possession. 46 You may even bequeath them to your sons after you, to receive as a possession; you can use them as permanent slaves. But in respect to your countrymen, the sons of Israel, you shall not rule with severity over one another."

(Bold emphasis mine.)

Not much wiggle-room, there. And people preaching that it was different need to be smacked. Hard. The Southern Baptist Convention in particular LITERALLY came to be over the fact that the regular Baptist church wouldn't stick to the "literal truth of the Bible" and preach or help to enforce Leviticus 25:44-46, so it's not just an obscure passage, but one of the main ones Southern churches and politicians used to justify their position. They don't get to turn around now and say it meant something else. Fuck those guys for that chicanery.

Edit to Add: Note also that none of the BS being peddled about "slaves mercifully acquired in war instead of being killed" is in there. Rolleyes

You mean God didn't use bold emphasis in the Bible Laugh out load

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
24-08-2015, 04:47 PM
(24-08-2015 04:43 PM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-08-2015 04:34 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Read Leviticus 25, the whole chapter. It CLEARLY spells out the difference between indentured servitude (for Jews) and slavery (for non-Jews), and the fact that slaves were permanent property, to be willed to your children, etc., while indentured servants could/would be set free under most of the provisions in chapter 25. But verses 44-46 are quite explicit about slavery:

44 "As for your male and female slaves whom you may have—you may acquire male and female slaves from the pagan nations that are around you. 45 Then, too, it is out of the sons of the sojourners who live as aliens among you that you may gain acquisition, and out of their families who are with you, whom they will have produced in your land; they also may become your possession. 46 You may even bequeath them to your sons after you, to receive as a possession; you can use them as permanent slaves. But in respect to your countrymen, the sons of Israel, you shall not rule with severity over one another."

(Bold emphasis mine.)

Not much wiggle-room, there. And people preaching that it was different need to be smacked. Hard. The Southern Baptist Convention in particular LITERALLY came to be over the fact that the regular Baptist church wouldn't stick to the "literal truth of the Bible" and preach or help to enforce Leviticus 25:44-46, so it's not just an obscure passage, but one of the main ones Southern churches and politicians used to justify their position. They don't get to turn around now and say it meant something else. Fuck those guys for that chicanery.

Edit to Add: Note also that none of the BS being peddled about "slaves mercifully acquired in war instead of being killed" is in there. Rolleyes

You mean God didn't use bold emphasis in the Bible Laugh out load

But the LORD did. Rolleyes

Back to the original topic, it's pretty edifying to go back to newspapers, letters to the editor, speeches in Congress, and so on, from the first half of the 19th century, and highlight how people tied slavery to religion and vice versa. I used to have some nice links to that stuff before my last computer died. Even if someone might say that they were interpreting it wrong, the fact that the dominant interpretation of that generation was wrong is a good opening to ask how we know that the current generation's dominant interpretation is right.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
24-08-2015, 05:47 PM
(24-08-2015 03:20 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote: Of course they mentioned that slavery in the bible wasn't the same back then and gave the "it was indentured servitude" argument.

Then how come the fuckers were so eager to get out of Egypt if it was such a piece of cake?

The one thing about religious fucktards is that they are always full of shit.

Quote:Then how come the fuckers were so eager to get out of Egypt if it was such a piece of cake?

I'd like to borrow that, if I may. Bowing

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
24-08-2015, 06:09 PM
Slavery in the ancient world was incredibly tough. Take for example the Romans. The Romans knew lead was toxic but kept working the mines because slaves did all the work and a slave was simply a tool.

I imagine in earlier times slavery was no better. It is never good!

Rocket is right above. The scripture says it all.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
24-08-2015, 06:19 PM
slavery is slavery no matter how anyone tries to spin it, and it's not justifiable, period.
[+] 2 users Like Bear100's post
24-08-2015, 07:57 PM
One of the things the pastor said was that people who try to use the bible to justify demeaning others didn't have God in their heart. I guess that would account for about 97% of all Christians throughout time.
24-08-2015, 08:00 PM
It's an excessive exaggeration that's not actually reflective; Although another point beyond that is, Who approves the concepts of indentured servitude being reasonable in their current westernized or desired society anyway? So it's not really any better anyway.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
24-08-2015, 08:22 PM
(24-08-2015 07:57 PM)Rkane819 Wrote:  One of the things the pastor said was that people who try to use the bible to justify demeaning others didn't have God in their heart. I guess that would account for about 97% of all Christians throughout time.

Gotta give him that one. Except for the god thing.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
24-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Come on, slavery isn't all that bad. I think you people are overstating it.

Now, eating shellfish? THAT demands divine interdiction. Gotta have moral priorities, after all.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
[+] 2 users Like TheMrBillShow's post