But God doesn't SEND you to Hell...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2013, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2013 11:41 AM by FlyingPizzaMonster.)
RE: But God doesn't SEND you to Hell...
I view Christianity (or any religion that punishes non-belief) as an evil game show.

In Christianity, you don't choose to go to hell. You only choose between curtain number 1, curtain number 2, curtain number 3,..., or curtain number 9999999. All but one of them lead to hell. Standing at each curtain is someone claiming that his curtain is the true Curtain. All but one of them are lying, but you have no way of knowing which one it is. The good you do is irrelevant. The sins you commit are irrelevant. Salvation is purely the result of random dumb luck. Choose the right curtain you win the prize. Choose the wrong curtain and you go to hell. That is a "just" God?

Christianity strikes me as a combination of "Let's Make a Deal", "To Tell The Truth" and the Saw movies. (Jigsaw believed he gave his victims a "choice" when he set incredibly cryptic traps. If people guessed wrong they were tortured to death)

Any god who cared that much about recognition wouldn't choose to be invisible.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like FlyingPizzaMonster's post
08-02-2013, 11:41 AM
"I view Christianity (or any religion that punishes non-belief) as an evil game show."

I view it as a communicable virus.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-02-2013, 10:20 PM
This post is one of the best analogies of Christianity that I've ever heard. Bravo.

(08-02-2013 11:29 AM)FlyingPizzaMonster Wrote:  I view Christianity (or any religion that punishes non-belief) as an evil game show.

In Christianity, you don't choose to go to hell. You only choose between curtain number 1, curtain number 2, curtain number 3,..., or curtain number 9999999. All but one of them lead to hell. Standing at each curtain is someone claiming that his curtain is the true Curtain. All but one of them are lying, but you have no way of knowing which one it is. The good you do is irrelevant. The sins you commit are irrelevant. Salvation is purely the result of random dumb luck. Choose the right curtain you win the prize. Choose the wrong curtain and you go to hell. That is a "just" God?

Christianity strikes me as a combination of "Let's Make a Deal", "To Tell The Truth" and the Saw movies. (Jigsaw believed he gave his victims a "choice" when he set incredibly cryptic traps. If people guessed wrong they were tortured to death)

Any god who cared that much about recognition wouldn't choose to be invisible.
11-02-2013, 03:36 PM
No matter how much I think about how nice an afterlife would be, I can't accept that finite deeds, good or bad, should warrant eternal paradise/ punishment. Regardless of we have a choice in it or not (We don't) there should have never been a "choice" in the first place.

However, if you were to ask me which afterlife I would prefer, I would have to be inclined to side with the deeds get you in to heaven. I would like to believe that good people, regardless of religious convictions should enjoy eternal happiness if they were good. This is not ha of reality. Reality is impartial to the good and the bad. The Bible doesn't support Free Will. It isn't a choice. It isn't fair. It is an insult to say that we can't love or take care of ourselves and others without a Deity watching us.

Just because it is an insult, doesn't mean it isn't true. I would be committing a fallacy if I say otherwise. However, there is something to say about an argument from emotion when there is talk about right and wrong.

If God destined me for punishment, and there is nothing I can do, as the party DIRECTLY involved, I consider him evil. God is nothing but a cruel and vindictive bully who destined me for failure. I had no say in it.

That is why I would never worship God, even if he did exist. I would stick by my rules and be free to make my decision.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
11-02-2013, 04:36 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 10:38 AM by Aseptic Skeptic.)
(11-02-2013 03:36 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  No matter how much I think about how nice an afterlife would be, I can't accept that finite deeds, good or bad, should warrant eternal paradise/ punishment. Regardless of we have a choice in it or not (We don't) there should have never been a "choice" in the first place.
It's even more ridiculous when you think about the fact that the reward or punishment is not applied to the person who did the deeds.

Our soul gets to go to heaven or to hell. Not our body. The soul is rewarded or punished, not our body. But the choices we make, here in our mortal life, are all made by the body.

If we assume that souls are real, then what do they do for us during our mortal life? Nothing. If there really is a soul inside of me, and that soul knows about heaven and hell because it knew about them before it was put into this flesh, then it should be screaming at the top of its metaphysical lungs to get me to make the right choices to ensure that it is not tortured for all eternity.

But I hear no such screaming, no motivation at all. My soul isn't telling me anything. For that matter, there are 7 billion people on this earth, presumably every one of them has a soul, and yet only a few of them are making the right choices. Even if every Christian is right, and all of them will go to heaven (something even they don't all agree on), then that's only about 2 billion saved and 5 billion burned.

Shouldn't those other 5 billion souls be begging, pleading, screaming, crying, forcing their fleshy mortal bodies to make the right choices to avoid eternal torture?

The fact is, those 5 billion (or more) mortals who are making choices that will result in their soul being burned forever are not the ones who will be punished. Their body will die and that's it. The soul is the one that will be punished. And clearly that soul is unable to do anything to fix the mistakes those 5 billion mortals are making.

So why is god punishing souls because they got stuck in mortal flesh that made the wrong choices? Especially considering that got put the soul there in the first place, and omnisciently knew that the mortal would choose poorly and that he would torture the soul fore eternity, even before he put that soul into that mortal.

Which comes around to asking, what's the point of souls in the first place, and what's the point of judging souls for actions they cannot control?

EDIT: fix spelling

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 4 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post