But I still had fun though

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2017, 04:52 PM
So once a year, my friends and I go on a boat trip over the weekend. It includes games, guitars, ziplining, swimming, etc. All the good stuff.

Wall of text ahead, you have been warned:

The highlight of the trip is of course the ziplining.
The ziplining is split into different difficulties because unlike other parks, this one has a lot of climbing and obstacles. So it goes from very easy for children up to really hard where you need a lot of upper body strength.
I did one of the medium ones first and had a lot of fun. So decided to go for the next difficulty.
The course was higher up in the trees and the obstacles a bit harder. Well maybe not harder but just because it is higher, it felt like they were harder. Or maybe they were. They required a bit more strength and a bit more balls.

Last year I dropped out of that one. Last year I stood high up at the third obstacle and froze for 15 minutes before forcing myself to do it because I didn't want to drop out at that one. This year I almost froze again but my good friends, the fitter ones in the group, had split and so the less secure ones of us had one of the fit ones either in front or right behind us. So my closest by fit friend just kept talking to me which prevented me from freezing. So I did the thing and it was difficult but I got it and I climbed and so on. At some point there was a zip line but it was actually to hook yourself on it and pull across. I lost my grip and got stuck in the middle of the thing without any more energy left to pull there again. So an instructor helped me over and let me continue.
Then the long zip line was next. I knew the course was almost over and was looking forward to finishing it this year. The very last thing is actually some kind of freefall-ish jump down. Not really, you are going down pretty slow but it is scary because it looks like you jump into your death. So I was looking forward to that.
For the last long zipline the instructor told me to push myself off the starting point really well because the line will go up in the end and that way I wouldn't have to pull myself up to the landing platform.
Just in case, my good, very strong friend, and I had swapped places. Just in case I wouldn't push well or whatever, so he could come down and pull me up. He received the okay from the instructor for it. And so he went first. Then yelled "CLEAR" and I pushed myself off real well.
And I was almost flying. I was so fast, no worries that I might not make it. I was so fast and the wind in my face felt great. I was so fast and noticed too late that I was not actually slowing down at all. I was so fast that I couldn't turn myself in time. I was so fast that I crashed into the landing pad back first at full speed after realizing it had rained and the line was slippery and I had pushed real well to make it all the way.

Man at least I was fast right?
I crashed into the landing pad and had a burning explosion of pain in my whole back. I legit thought I broke my spine because the pain was so severe. I swung back and then just hung in my harness in the middle of the line, fighting not to pass out from the pain. I have never fought that hard to not pass out before. And I also have a very high pain tolerance so that may have made other people pass out instantly. I was just groaning and moaning. I didn't notice much other than my husband coming towards me and touching my back. So I moaned breathlessly to not touch my back. The bit of awareness other than "don't touch my back" was "fuck, I cannot go to the gym next week" followed by the realization that if I just broke my back there, I won't even walk again.
My friend had by now slowly come back on to the line to pull me up. He kept asking me how I was and then asked me to hold his knees so he could pull me up. On the platform, the instructor was waiting to help get me up all the way.
At this point I had lost all my feeling in my hips and buttocks area. All feeling other than pain. The pain just stayed and whatever touched the area was causing burning explosions all over again. My lips started to go numb from hanging in the harness so much that I just told the instructor that I needed to lay down immediately.
I am actually a very well trained first aider and that knowledge is present in all emergency situations, no matter who is affected. So I knew how I had to be positioned to get back into at least some sort of working order to make it possible to get me down. They gave me 2 minutes while preparing to get me lowered down to the ground.
At the bottom my husband and another instructor were waiting to help me get to the hut thing that the park has. Where they store things and sell drinks and so on.
They did some first check up on me. Very skilled actually. Then I received instructions for self care and what to look out for, when to go to the emergency room or the doctor.

My husband had gone to find another one of this circle of friends that I was there with. She has a car and so they picked me up. We drove to the pharmacy to get some cooling packs and ibuprofen.
For the rest of the trip I was mainly sitting in pain or standing carefully in pain.

But we still made music and sang and ate and the next day, although still in excruciating pain, I got to drive the boat for a while.

I had a great time on the trip. And an accident won't fuck it up for me. I love those people and how caring they were. Helpful and just not making a big deal of it while still keeping an eye out.

----

Also this all happened a week ago. Understandably I wasn't in a great internet mood. I was exhausted most of the time.
Actually on Monday I worked from home until 8pm after going to the doctor.

The doctor... welcome to Ireland's health care 'system':
I wait with severe backpains from the crash.
Then the doctor checks me out. Almost gives me the wrong painshot (bad with asthma). Prescribes me some pain killers and meds while explaining that she cannot help me and I am the second casualty that day, then sends me on my merry way to the hospital to get an xray done.
Taxi driver was pissed that it was a short trip and I couldn't walk towards the taxi. (gave him a bad rating on the app)
The xray people at the hospital were great, very patient and nice. My back is not broken, there are no fractures, etc.
So I asked if they have crutches or something because I just cannot walk.
"Well we don't give them out here but the doctor is fine letting you go home" ... okay?
So we went to the pharmacy in the hospital to get my meds and asked if they sold crutches. No of course not. But that other pharmacy across town, they do medical supply too. Cool, another taxi. This one was actually a nice driver. When we waited for my husband to get the crutches and he found out that this is why were there, he said "oh you should have told me. I have some at home and could have given them to you." Well turns out crutches are not too expensive so whatever.

So during the past few days the burning pain and sore skin have turned into a stabbing pain, then a ripping and stabbing pain, and now a stabbing pain when I am not careful enough. I am down to needing two crutches in the morning, one crutch at work during the day, and at home none. I walk funny and am in pain but recovering.

Oh and about those pain meds my doctor prescribed innitially:
Slowed down my breathing to point of no breathing.
So I looked up the medicine (I only got the pills, but not the package itself)
Apparently this medicine is known for slowing down breathing, and stoppign breathing especially asthma patients (me!). It is also known to cause seizures, especially in people who have metabolic disorders (me!). There are also tons of warnings about not using the pill if it is broken, dissolved, crushed, chewed or otherwise altered because it is a long release pill and if it is broken, it will cause an overdose and you will die from it.
So although it really helped with the pain, after that one scary pill I did not take it again. I kinda prefer pain over death. Called the doctor the next day and am back on ibuprofen (which is not great with asthma but at least it won't stop my breathing ffs)

Also I checked my back in the mirror. I have this huge black-blue-purple bruise right around the hurt area but not on the hurt area. Dafuq Consider

k done - yay for not a broken back.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2017, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 18-05-2017 06:56 PM by KUSA.)
Sounds like you had a mean pulled muscle. At least you had some fun anyway. Do you have any pics of the place you went to? I went zip lining in Jamaica 6 years ago and it was a blast.
18-05-2017, 05:21 PM
RE: But I still had fun though
(18-05-2017 04:52 PM)Leerob Wrote:  So once a year, my friends and I go on a boat trip over the weekend. It includes games, guitars, ziplining, swimming, etc. All the good stuff.

Wall of text ahead, you have been warned:

The highlight of the trip is of course the ziplining.
The ziplining is split into different difficulties because unlike other parks, this one has a lot of climbing and obstacles. So it goes from very easy for children up to really hard where you need a lot of upper body strength.
I did one of the medium ones first and had a lot of fun. So decided to go for the next difficulty.
The course was higher up in the trees and the obstacles a bit harder. Well maybe not harder but just because it is higher, it felt like they were harder. Or maybe they were. They required a bit more strength and a bit more balls.

Last year I dropped out of that one. Last year I stood high up at the third obstacle and froze for 15 minutes before forcing myself to do it because I didn't want to drop out at that one. This year I almost froze again but my good friends, the fitter ones in the group, had split and so the less secure ones of us had one of the fit ones either in front or right behind us. So my closest by fit friend just kept talking to me which prevented me from freezing. So I did the thing and it was difficult but I got it and I climbed and so on. At some point there was a zip line but it was actually to hook yourself on it and pull across. I lost my grip and got stuck in the middle of the thing without any more energy left to pull there again. So an instructor helped me over and let me continue.
Then the long zip line was next. I knew the course was almost over and was looking forward to finishing it this year. The very last thing is actually some kind of freefall-ish jump down. Not really, you are going down pretty slow but it is scary because it looks like you jump into your death. So I was looking forward to that.
For the last long zipline the instructor told me to push myself off the starting point really well because the line will go up in the end and that way I wouldn't have to pull myself up to the landing platform.
Just in case, my good, very strong friend, and I had swapped places. Just in case I wouldn't push well or whatever, so he could come down and pull me up. He received the okay from the instructor for it. And so he went first. Then yelled "CLEAR" and I pushed myself off real well.
And I was almost flying. I was so fast, no worries that I might not make it. I was so fast and the wind in my face felt great. I was so fast and noticed too late that I was not actually slowing down at all. I was so fast that I couldn't turn myself in time. I was so fast that I crashed into the landing pad back first at full speed after realizing it had rained and the line was slippery and I had pushed real well to make it all the way.

Man at least I was fast right?
I crashed into the landing pad and had a burning explosion of pain in my whole back. I legit thought I broke my spine because the pain was so severe. I swung back and then just hung in my harness in the middle of the line, fighting not to pass out from the pain. I have never fought that hard to not pass out before. And I also have a very high pain tolerance so that may have made other people pass out instantly. I was just groaning and moaning. I didn't notice much other than my husband coming towards me and touching my back. So I moaned breathlessly to not touch my back. The bit of awareness other than "don't touch my back" was "fuck, I cannot go to the gym next week" followed by the realization that if I just broke my back there, I won't even walk again.
My friend had by now slowly come back on to the line to pull me up. He kept asking me how I was and then asked me to hold his knees so he could pull me up. On the platform, the instructor was waiting to help get me up all the way.
At this point I had lost all my feeling in my hips and buttocks area. All feeling other than pain. The pain just stayed and whatever touched the area was causing burning explosions all over again. My lips started to go numb from hanging in the harness so much that I just told the instructor that I needed to lay down immediately.
I am actually a very well trained first aider and that knowledge is present in all emergency situations, no matter who is affected. So I knew how I had to be positioned to get back into at least some sort of working order to make it possible to get me down. They gave me 2 minutes while preparing to get me lowered down to the ground.
At the bottom my husband and another instructor were waiting to help me get to the hut thing that the park has. Where they store things and sell drinks and so on.
They did some first check up on me. Very skilled actually. Then I received instructions for self care and what to look out for, when to go to the emergency room or the doctor.

My husband had gone to find another one of this circle of friends that I was there with. She has a car and so they picked me up. We drove to the pharmacy to get some cooling packs and ibuprofen.
For the rest of the trip I was mainly sitting in pain or standing carefully in pain.

But we still made music and sang and ate and the next day, although still in excruciating pain, I got to drive the boat for a while.

I had a great time on the trip. And an accident won't fuck it up for me. I love those people and how caring they were. Helpful and just not making a big deal of it while still keeping an eye out.

----

Also this all happened a week ago. Understandably I wasn't in a great internet mood. I was exhausted most of the time.
Actually on Monday I worked from home until 8pm after going to the doctor.

The doctor... welcome to Ireland's health care 'system':
I wait with severe backpains from the crash.
Then the doctor checks me out. Almost gives me the wrong painshot (bad with asthma). Prescribes me some pain killers and meds while explaining that she cannot help me and I am the second casualty that day, then sends me on my merry way to the hospital to get an xray done.
Taxi driver was pissed that it was a short trip and I couldn't walk towards the taxi. (gave him a bad rating on the app)
The xray people at the hospital were great, very patient and nice. My back is not broken, there are no fractures, etc.
So I asked if they have crutches or something because I just cannot walk.
"Well we don't give them out here but the doctor is fine letting you go home" ... okay?
So we went to the pharmacy in the hospital to get my meds and asked if they sold crutches. No of course not. But that other pharmacy across town, they do medical supply too. Cool, another taxi. This one was actually a nice driver. When we waited for my husband to get the crutches and he found out that this is why were there, he said "oh you should have told me. I have some at home and could have given them to you." Well turns out crutches are not too expensive so whatever.

So during the past few days the burning pain and sore skin have turned into a stabbing pain, then a ripping and stabbing pain, and now a stabbing pain when I am not careful enough. I am down to needing two crutches in the morning, one crutch at work during the day, and at home none. I walk funny and am in pain but recovering.

Oh and about those pain meds my doctor prescribed innitially:
Slowed down my breathing to point of no breathing.
So I looked up the medicine (I only got the pills, but not the package itself)
Apparently this medicine is known for slowing down breathing, and stoppign breathing especially asthma patients (me!). It is also known to cause seizures, especially in people who have metabolic disorders (me!). There are also tons of warnings about not using the pill if it is broken, dissolved, crushed, chewed or otherwise altered because it is a long release pill and if it is broken, it will cause an overdose and you will die from it.
So although it really helped with the pain, after that one scary pill I did not take it again. I kinda prefer pain over death. Called the doctor the next day and am back on ibuprofen (which is not great with asthma but at least it won't stop my breathing ffs)

Also I checked my back in the mirror. I have this huge black-blue-purple bruise right around the hurt area but not on the hurt area. Dafuq Consider

k done - yay for not a broken back.

Well hugs, glad you weren't more seriously injured.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

18-05-2017, 05:54 PM
(18-05-2017 05:16 PM)KUSA Wrote:  Sounds like you had a mean pulled muscle. At least you had some fun anyway. Do you have any pics of the place you went to? I went zip lining in Jamaica 6 years ago and it a blast.

I have tons of pictures and will be editing a video this weekend. Will show it then.

[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
19-05-2017, 01:47 PM
Sorry to read that you got injured Sad

But I'm glad you still had some fun with your friends. Why didn't it slow down ? Did you have to do something for it to slow down or was there anything wrong with the device that prevented it from losing speed ?

Wtf is that hospital that won't give you crutches and won't check your medical history ? Even when I lived in the most withdrawn countryside in Belgium, I had doctors that would check my medical history and give me crutches when I needed them. That pisses me off just to read that. Seriously.

Anyway, take care of yourself, hope the pain will wear off soon.
19-05-2017, 04:00 PM
You're fortunate that you weren't more seriously injured. And medical/pharmacological mistakes are the norm, not the exception. Doesn't matter where you go, which is why a patient always needs an able-bodied advocate.

All that said... it will make a great story.
19-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Yeeks. I did a Go Ape course a couple weeks ago that was very similar to this. Up in the trees, loads of high-up obstacles and ziplines, incredibly fun.

Managed to crash-land hard once on my back--hurt like heck and woodchips from the landing pad ended up in places woodchips should never be--but not nearly as badly as what you experienced. Still, I'm not sure if I would've done the course had I known on some ziplines you came in at mach 5. I felt like a meteor, and even made a woodchip crater!

Glad to hear it wasn't something too serious. I mean, excruciating pain IS serious, but it's awesome that your spine is alright.

I hope you feel better soon Hug

(wait maybe a hug's a bad idea?)

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
19-05-2017, 05:58 PM
"But I still had fun though" sounds like what they will carve on my gravestone.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
19-05-2017, 07:07 PM
Sounds like a fun time-guitars, ziplining, swimming, boating! I wanna go Tongue

I'm sorry you got hurt. *hugs*
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
20-05-2017, 06:43 AM
@Loom a woodship crate? Wtf?

Also I heard from other people that the zipline places they went to, had break systems. In the park where I go, they just tell you to grab the line behind the rolling thing if you want to slow down. (You are not allowed on the course without gloves) But if I'd have tried that, I would have burnt through that glove in seconds and then what.

But yea I am getting better. A day after the accident, the people from the zipline place called to check how I am doing (and probably to see if I want to sue).

Currently I am getting better pretty fast. I was going on one crutch on Friday and at home could do slow without crutches. Then Friday I was a bit dumb and hurt my muscle a bit while also having stopped taking the pain meds so last night I was in a lot of pain.
Took the meds again this morning and am now walking mainly upright. Can't really lean back on chairs or so but baby steps I guess.

I am still stunned how nice and helpful everybody was last week. Helping me in the canteen at work. Even the restaurant staff was carrying my plate to the table and so on.

[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post