But Religion Gives Me Answers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2016, 05:28 PM
But Religion Gives Me Answers
One of the most irritating and common retorts i heard when debating atheists goes like this

Science hasn't explain x but religion has so religion is better then science. And the religious explanation matches my experience so it's more reasonable . Your view of science is religious because you make science your god.ans science can't be trusted because it always changing.

it's stupid because

1.Being able to explain something does not mean it's a good explanation nor one that reflects reality

2.Anything in ignorance can seem reasonable

3. If you can just make stuff up and that stuff is your own personal opinion then of course it's going to make sense to you

4.Using your own human experience and imposing it on reality (like ID advocates do) is stupid

5. Science is a method not a dogma and no where not saying it will necessarily solve everything but religion is no substitute to it despite your insistence
"it has the answers" or "but it makes sense"

6. Science is self improving and self refining by method and design. The idea that something is true because it has not changed is foolish

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like OrdoSkeptica's post
13-08-2016, 05:39 PM
RE: But Religion Gives Me Answers
Yea well new agers and those into other woo also pull that same crap. Religion at best when it isn't violent en mass is a placebo, an artificial construct people create to set up social order and give themselves a false sense of importance. But bad conclusions based on false perceptions can also be held by atheists too. I've run into atheists who like to claim the universe is a thinking thing itself, even if not god like. Others are into si fi woo and some treat the show Star Trek as a science lab and that bugs the crap out of me too.

Humans certainly ARE entitled to their own opinions and beliefs sure, but that never constitutes empirical evidence by itself.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
13-08-2016, 05:41 PM
To questions not worth asking.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-08-2016, 05:59 PM
I get this all the time, sometimes I'll say something like "We'll never know how our universe truly came to be, we can only make educated and researched guesses." and then some theist has to say "Well I know! God did it!" No, you don't know that, you think that but there is a difference between knowing something and thinking something, sincerity and certainty on your part proves nothing.

Our dogs could think we are Gods or possess magical abilities by observing our behavior, does that make it true? No it doesn't, observing our world and space and believing it's so beautiful and amazing is normal but to think "A magical wizard being made all of this!" is extremely naive and lacks any true understanding of the complex nature of our existence.

Honestly I want the real answer, even if it sucks and it's totally disappointing, if there is some God out there that made us I'd feel very let down. It might be we are truly alone on this planet, no one is looking out for us, that's fine by me. I don't mind that, I prefer it actually. Don't tell me there's some being out there that loves me and watches me but can't come around to watch Netflix and drink a beer, that's not love, it's psychotic stalking that would get any human locked up for a long time if they ever did it.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
13-08-2016, 09:37 PM
this is how I hear a religious argument/answer...... it just doesn't make any sense as its just one big fallacy so my brain only interprets it as gibberish

[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
13-08-2016, 09:44 PM
[Image: quote-for-every-complex-problem-there-is...125677.jpg]

Religion leads the pack in that.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 5 users Like Minimalist's post
13-08-2016, 11:05 PM
I'd rather know the truth of "I don't know" than a made up answer that gives me the warm and fuzzies.

It's like asking someone off the top of their head a very complex math problem. One person says "the answer is 7", the other says "I don't know". The first guys says "HA, they don't know!" THe other guys says "Yeah but you don't know if 7 is correct", and the first guys says "At least I have an answer!"
[+] 2 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
14-08-2016, 06:25 AM
There's two answers to every question.

The right one, and the wrong one.

Religion favors the latter.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
14-08-2016, 07:23 AM
Any idiot can give you answers.
Children give great answers, usually funny answers.

That trail of ants are all sending you micro beams of information about the universe. They have all the answers, but to hear them, you must believe.

If you're willing to believe any answer given to you without question, then you're really not concerned with the truth, now are you. You're more than happy to be lied to. It's easier that way. No need to use that fluffy brain. Facts only get in the way.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
14-08-2016, 08:28 AM
When they start quoting the Bible as proof of their god, pfffft, it just makes me laugh. Laugh out load Like that's going to convince me. Bwahahaha.

And then when that doesn't work they threaten me with hell.....That's even funnier. A thinking person questions everything and religion is the most questionable thing there is.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post