Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2016, 01:35 AM
But is it art?
Looks good, but is it art?

[Image: ATT0006477.jpg]
[Image: ATT0005233.jpg]
Paper sculpture.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2016, 03:56 AM
RE: But is it art?
(24-08-2016 01:35 AM)Gloucester Wrote:  Looks good, but is it art?

[Image: ATT0006477.jpg]
[Image: ATT0005233.jpg]
Paper sculpture.

I would say yes...but it depends on how you define art, obviously, which can vary person-to-person, I think. Art is subjective.

I think I would define art, somewhat loosely, as "A tangible expression of creativity", and then fine-tune it on a case by case basis. Just as one man's garbage is another man's treasure...Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like The Dark One's post
24-08-2016, 03:57 AM
I think almost everyone would call that art.
Maybe pick a more abstract example, like Piss Christ, and you'll start to get more variation on your answers.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
24-08-2016, 04:01 AM
(24-08-2016 03:57 AM)cactus Wrote:  I think almost everyone would call that art.
Maybe pick a more abstract example, like Piss Christ, and you'll start to get more variation on your answers.

LMAO....that's hilarious. I just googled that. Excellent suggestion, Cactus

For what it's worth, no...I'd call that a publicity stunt, more than anything. Funny though. Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
24-08-2016, 05:01 AM
The title is not a request for a discussion but a common, sort of, joke over here. Used to be a poster and nick-nack shop of the same name.

You are invited to post anything novel or a bit out of the ordinary that, say, may be on the borderline between "real" art and a decorative article. Would it be in a gallery and/or the local house furnishing store?

24-08-2016, 06:52 AM
Not sure about the paper sculptures, but apparently this unmade bed by Tracey Emin is art.

[Image: sJed47T.jpg]

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
24-08-2016, 10:07 AM
(24-08-2016 06:52 AM)Marozz Wrote:  Not sure about the paper sculptures, but apparently this unmade bed by Tracey Emin is art.

[Image: sJed47T.jpg]
Including the semen stains apparently!

If art is the representation of something . . . Not sure if that something can represent itself,

24-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Anything can be called art.

Good art - is something that someone is willing to pay for.

Great art - is something that's worth stealing.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 7 users Like onlinebiker's post
24-08-2016, 06:19 PM
For me art is defined through many things. I don't think that a creation has to be pretty and philosophical to be considered art. I just mean that if someone has put actual thought (not just the will to shock or go by what is popular) into their piece, if they know what they are doing when it comes to technique and material and such things, then I can start to consider something art.
My mr is of the opinion that something is art if it triggered a reaction from you. Be it that you get angry or thoughtful or happy. For me that is not enough definition because honestly my protein bar right here on the table is making me feel VERY happy but I would not consider it art. If my niece draws me a picture, I am also happy and will have a conversation with her about that great drawing but still I won't consider it art.
But if a gifted friend of mine shows me a painting they did, I can see the skill and knowledge, I can wonder what he was thinking, I can let my thoughts wander into the little world on that canvas. That is art, that is something that required skill, thought, it has a meaning, it has a purpose, it has a style that is specific to my friend, it was intended to be done EXACTLY this way.
That is art.

Also please, if you can, visit Paris once in your life time. Normal living blocks are beautifully designed, traffic bridges and gates have the most amazing architecture and design.

To come back to the actual OP:
No, in my book not art. They look like they are manufactured, so the indiviuality and care is gone completely. They are pretty cool things (cards?) but don't strike me as art really.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
24-08-2016, 07:13 PM
Look up Interior Semiotics on Youtube. It doesn't get much ARTier than that.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?