But what about regular ghosts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2015, 09:09 AM
RE: But what about regular ghosts?
(17-08-2015 08:39 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  "Regular".... "ghosts".

...... how are those two words going together, again?

'Zactly what I was thinking.... How about "unleaded ghosts?" Tongue

Although I can see the difference between spirit perception and Holy Spirit. HS ain't a ghost so much as a perception of unity and synergy.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2015, 12:55 PM
(17-08-2015 08:51 AM)pablo Wrote:  Every once in a while I see one of my friends post something online about haunted houses for sale. Then they'll go on to say they could never live in a haunted house.
I think this is hysterical, this house is only haunted because they were told it was haunted.
It makes me wonder, if some "ghost hunter" told them the house they have been living in without issue was suddenly haunted, would they move? Consider

I recall a discussion from when I was a kid and we were moving. My parents were worried that they would have to disclose that the house was haunted because there was a friendly ghost named Aunt Maddie that resided there... Dodgy

I'm not sure what the decision was, but I hope their lawyer laughed at them.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
17-08-2015, 01:01 PM
The problem with using one brush to paint out both theism and "spooks":

If even one person's spiritual experience, ever, in all of human history, is real, than materialism is not the truth.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2015, 01:02 PM
(17-08-2015 01:01 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The problem with using one brush to paint out both theism and "spooks":

If even one person's spiritual experience, ever, in all of human history, is real, than materialism is not the truth.

Well, it's a good thing that none of them are, then.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
17-08-2015, 01:10 PM
premise1. more than half a billion peopel would have lived and died by now
premise2. even if only 1% of them became ghosts then we'd be overrun by the damn things
conclusion. if ghosts are real then they'd be a common sight

premsie3. people see ghosts wearing cloths
premise4. cloths don't have a life/soul/life force etc
conclusion. ghosts can't be wearing cloths simply because it only exists in the material world
conclusion. if ghosts existed then they'd all be naked
conclusion. people are either hallucinating or making shit up

premise5. ghost experts use electromagnetic wave sensing thingys to detect magnetic waves
premise6. modern day houses are overrun with wires, pipes and anything else that emits electromagnetic waves
conclusion. ghost experts have proven the existence of electromagnetic waves that are generated by common everyday stuff

premise7. why am I even writing like this ?
conclusion, I don't even care at this point
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
17-08-2015, 01:21 PM
One of my ex girlfriends is a witch. So we had an witches weekend where her like-minded friends came over. One of the nights we went to the graveyard to look for "ghosts/spirits/and-what-have-you. I thing we where three non-believers present and it was quite interesting to see how they one by one started to feel the spirits. It was quite the show in group dynamics and how people start to follow suit.
[+] 1 user Likes Nishi Karano Kaze's post
17-08-2015, 01:22 PM
(17-08-2015 01:10 PM)Ace Wrote:  premise1. more than half a billion peopel would have lived and died by now
premise2. even if only 1% of them became ghosts then we'd be overrun by the damn things
conclusion. if ghosts are real then they'd be a common sight

premsie3. people see ghosts wearing cloths
premise4. cloths don't have a life/soul/life force etc
conclusion. ghosts can't be wearing cloths simply because it only exists in the material world
conclusion. if ghosts existed then they'd all be naked
conclusion. people are either hallucinating or making shit up

premise5. ghost experts use electromagnetic wave sensing thingys to detect magnetic waves
premise6. modern day houses are overrun with wires, pipes and anything else that emits electromagnetic waves
conclusion. ghost experts have proven the existence of electromagnetic waves that are generated by common everyday stuff

premise7. why am I even writing like this ?
conclusion, I don't even care at this point

Yeah, I used to love the Ghost Hunters before I rejected the supernatural, but after I watched a couple of seasons I realized almost all of their evidence was interpreting sounds and lights as ghosts.
It was a tour de force of pareidolia, these ghost hunters are entertainers, that's all they are.
When I was a Christian, ghosts don't really fit into Christian theology, once you're dead, you go to heaven or hell. The only explanation was that Satan and his demons were deceiving people with "familiar spirits". Familiar Spirits were like the opposite of guardian angels, except they were demons assigned to follow you and mimic you. Ghosts were these familiar spirits lingering after you died.

Everything has an explanation, no matter how stupid it is.Laughat

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
17-08-2015, 01:31 PM
You silly goose, ghosts aren't real.

But leprechauns......they're totally real....Tongue
17-08-2015, 01:41 PM
(17-08-2015 01:31 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  You silly goose, ghosts aren't real.

But leprechauns......they're totally real....Tongue

I know. In Denmark we call them Irish.
17-08-2015, 01:44 PM
(17-08-2015 07:00 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  To me, religions and ghosts (like the ones you hear about in tv shows about haunted houses)
are separate things, even if they are both supernatural. So after I became an atheist I begun thinking "but what about regular ghosts, wouldn't it be ridiculous to not apply that to my new anti-supernatural rational thinking?"

Yet, I'm not sure I would dare to set my foot into a supposedly haunted house or spend a day/night in it...

Have you ever had thoughts familiar to these?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post