But what about regular ghosts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-08-2015, 07:02 PM
RE: But what about regular ghosts?
Being an atheist only means that you do not believe in a god. It would not surprise me if there are atheists who believe in ghosts, astrology, magic, alien abductions, nesse, big foot or any other claim that is supernatural or out there in nature.

I most certainly do not think ghosts exist.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2015, 07:56 PM
I've been known to have said it many times.

Ghosts are stupid

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
17-08-2015, 08:10 PM
(17-08-2015 07:00 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  For as long as I can remember, I've had a very active imagination. Whether asleep, or awake I could- & still can (though currently with greater understanding, & therefore control)- become enveloped in the stunningly fantastic, the utterly horrifying, &/ or anything else my creativity may conjure. In my youth this was an issue, in particular, with regards to ghosts. I loved scary movies, but the thought of an unseen force, able to do whatever it wants without any concern for an ability on my part to thwart, or even hinder, its goals played havoc on my mind for years. Every unexplained incident in my home was cause for alarm in my young mind, & I was even once convinced, though briefly, I shared my room of a new home with a specter.

As I grew older, became better educated, & through some conversations with my parents, I learned how many of those traumatic 'phenomenons' were perfectly explainable. Any time I felt fear of a supernatural agent, during my time of mental recovery, I would remind myself of all the things it realistically was, & occasionally had voiced challenges of proof to the dark- just to garner an extra boost of confidence. I haven't had to perform any such action in nearly a decade now, because I am better at quickly spotting the natural event, that triggered an imaginative spark, & any subsequent feeling(s) of uneasiness.

This is the downside of belief in ghosts or supernatural entities, it can absolutely terrify kids and adults.

I remember as a kid hearing a scratching from outside my window during the night, I thought it was a demon trying to get in and was trembling in terror at the thought.

Of course when I was older I realized it was probably some bird or squirrel doing what they always do, I had this terror for no reason.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
18-08-2015, 08:45 AM
(17-08-2015 01:02 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 01:01 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The problem with using one brush to paint out both theism and "spooks":

If even one person's spiritual experience, ever, in all of human history, is real, than materialism is not the truth.

Well, it's a good thing that none of them are, then.

That is likely one of the more sweeping statements of special knowledge that I've yet encountered. I'm glad you and your time machine traveled to all parts of this world and this universe to all times and to all people, even reaching inside their heads and hearts to unearth their secrets--to show their is nothing non-materialist or spiritual that exists--which omniscience of course would make YOU God.

A correct, logical response to my statement would have been to admit that you are an agnostic atheist. Your obvious apatheism belies the truth (so-called) that TTA members know one cannot prove a universal negative.

I personally have had several encounters with spiritual entities including God and am calling baloney on you.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-08-2015, 11:24 AM
(18-08-2015 08:45 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  That is likely one of the more sweeping statements of special knowledge that I've yet encountered.

I really very much doubt that. It's a perfectly ordinary thing to say. Ghosts don't exist, so the idea of evidence of them existing is rather nonsensical.

You may want to read up on the burden of proof fallacy before you say anything silly.

(18-08-2015 08:45 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  A correct, logical response to my statement would have been to admit that you are an agnostic atheist.

I am a gnostic atheist. Claiming to be agnostic would be rather silly of me.

(18-08-2015 08:45 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I personally have had several encounters with spiritual entities including God and am calling baloney on you.

No, you haven't.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
19-08-2015, 02:18 PM
(18-08-2015 11:24 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(18-08-2015 08:45 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  That is likely one of the more sweeping statements of special knowledge that I've yet encountered.

I really very much doubt that. It's a perfectly ordinary thing to say. Ghosts don't exist, so the idea of evidence of them existing is rather nonsensical.

You may want to read up on the burden of proof fallacy before you say anything silly.

(18-08-2015 08:45 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  A correct, logical response to my statement would have been to admit that you are an agnostic atheist.

I am a gnostic atheist. Claiming to be agnostic would be rather silly of me.

(18-08-2015 08:45 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I personally have had several encounters with spiritual entities including God and am calling baloney on you.

No, you haven't.

You live inside my head now? How arrogant. I have personal testimonies of encounters with God. You don't know what happens inside my mind.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
19-08-2015, 03:24 PM
(19-08-2015 02:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You live inside my head now? How arrogant. I have personal testimonies of encounters with God. You don't know what happens inside my mind.

Quite a lot of squishy, nasty things involving blood, chemicals, and neurons.

Very little in the way of communication with extradimensional entities.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
20-08-2015, 07:54 AM
(19-08-2015 03:24 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(19-08-2015 02:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You live inside my head now? How arrogant. I have personal testimonies of encounters with God. You don't know what happens inside my mind.

Quite a lot of squishy, nasty things involving blood, chemicals, and neurons.

Very little in the way of communication with extradimensional entities.

I agree on the first point, and I almost agree on the second! There are fairly infrequent summons from the divine inside my little brain. HOWEVER, you ain't inside me (shudder) and are being about as condescending and arrogant as is humanly possible. Brother, I don't know what's in your head or even whether you are a "die hard" atheist, a Poe or a born again Christian. You have no right (and no proof) to say whether or not I'm in touch with higher powers.

20-08-2015, 09:06 AM
(20-08-2015 07:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  HOWEVER, you ain't inside me (shudder) and are being about as condescending and arrogant as is humanly possible.

No, this is me being flippant. If you think that this is condescending, you're honestly rather sheltered, and I envy you.

(20-08-2015 07:54 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Brother, I don't know what's in your head or even whether you are a "die hard" atheist, a Poe or a born again Christian. You have no right (and no proof) to say whether or not I'm in touch with higher powers.

Well, yes, actually, I do, just as I have the right to dismiss the claim of someone who, say, thinks that they were kidnapped by aliens, or cursed by a witch.

20-08-2015, 09:10 AM
There are natural explanations for a lot of these places and the hallucinations and sense of eeriness they posses.

This is from Cracked, and sometimes they are full of shit. But natural explanations for these paranormal experiences, are much easier to swallow than supernatural ones. Drinking Beverage

http://www.cracked.com/article_18828_the...tings.html

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick