But what about regular ghosts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-08-2015, 04:35 PM
RE: But what about regular ghosts?
(26-08-2015 11:51 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You are being an armchair judge not in the courtroom to hear the evidence. I became saved beginning with the possibility of God's existence, not its likelihood or even its plausibility. Repeating, you are not me, do not even know me, and can neither prove nor disprove I'm in touch with Jesus Christ. Flippancy or condescension notwithstanding, your remarks are uninformed. At least other atheists on this forum ask me to prove what I believe BEFORE condemning what I believe. I would never treat you in that way.

Ooooh, we're getting the "nice" version of "Passive-Aggressive Bipolar Christian Q", this week?

Nice.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2015, 07:58 AM
(26-08-2015 12:11 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 11:51 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Then I must object. What gives you the right to dismiss all truth claims de facto if they are spiritual in nature without first examining the evidence to weigh each case on its own merits?

I have examined the evidence.

Or, rather, I haven't, because there is none.

(26-08-2015 11:56 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. If even one person's claim about Big Foot is true, then many past claims about Big Foot are true.

That does not follow.

And none of them are true regardless.

(26-08-2015 11:56 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You can accuse me of making an argumentum ad populum

We don't have to accuse. It's quite clear.

"I don't have to look at the facts because none exist in any of these cases ever recorded" is a childish response that you are wrapping in sophistry.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-08-2015, 08:01 AM
(26-08-2015 02:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 11:51 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Then I must object. What gives you the right to dismiss all truth claims de facto if they are spiritual in nature without first examining the evidence to weigh each case on its own merits? This was also Hume's error. When Nicodemus argued with other Pharisees about Jesus, he rebuked them, "Does our Law judge a man BEFORE it hears what he has to say?" The haughty atheist stance, "No, I never heard of X but it cannot possibly be true," leads to stereotypes about atheists. Stop it.

Claims that lack any objective evidence can be summarily dismissed.

Quote:You are being an armchair judge not in the courtroom to hear the evidence. I became saved beginning with the possibility of God's existence, not its likelihood or even its plausibility. Repeating, you are not me, do not even know me, and can neither prove nor disprove I'm in touch with Jesus Christ. Flippancy or condescension notwithstanding, your remarks are uninformed. At least other atheists on this forum ask me to prove what I believe BEFORE condemning what I believe. I would never treat you in that way.

Claims that lack any objective evidence can be summarily dismissed, they don't even make it into court.

Are you defining objective evidence as empirical evidence or would you accept documentary evidence also? Because contract law and estate law revolves around documents--often from deceased people who cannot testify other than in past documents.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
27-08-2015, 08:02 AM
(26-08-2015 04:35 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(26-08-2015 11:51 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You are being an armchair judge not in the courtroom to hear the evidence. I became saved beginning with the possibility of God's existence, not its likelihood or even its plausibility. Repeating, you are not me, do not even know me, and can neither prove nor disprove I'm in touch with Jesus Christ. Flippancy or condescension notwithstanding, your remarks are uninformed. At least other atheists on this forum ask me to prove what I believe BEFORE condemning what I believe. I would never treat you in that way.

Ooooh, we're getting the "nice" version of "Passive-Aggressive Bipolar Christian Q", this week?

Nice.

If you consider "I would never treat you that way" and "Your remarks are not based in fact" passive-aggressive... you might be passive-aggressive... even aggressive. Drinking Beverage

27-08-2015, 09:29 AM
You must think we have very short memories, Q.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
27-08-2015, 10:53 AM
(27-08-2015 07:58 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  "I don't have to look at the facts because none exist in any of these cases ever recorded" is a childish response that you are wrapping in sophistry.

It's a good thing I'm not saying that, then.

I have, in fact, spent rather a long time researching various UFO sightings, Bigfoot claims, and so on. I find them fascinating topics. The common factor across all of these reports, however, is that not one of them contains any evidence whatsoever which indicates a supernatural cause. At best, what we get is something which we cannot readily identify.

So, as I said, there is no evidence in favor of ghosts, alien visitations, or anything of the sort. There's plenty of evidence about claims of them - but then, anecdotes are not evidence, and actual investigation invariably turns up nothing.

If you think otherwise, feel free to present your case.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
27-08-2015, 12:44 PM
(27-08-2015 09:29 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  You must think we have very short memories, Q.

The Q is a we, a corporate entity. If you are referring to the many members of TTA who engage (Picard pun not intended) with me...

...thou art mistaken.

27-08-2015, 12:45 PM
(27-08-2015 10:53 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(27-08-2015 07:58 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  "I don't have to look at the facts because none exist in any of these cases ever recorded" is a childish response that you are wrapping in sophistry.

It's a good thing I'm not saying that, then.

I have, in fact, spent rather a long time researching various UFO sightings, Bigfoot claims, and so on. I find them fascinating topics. The common factor across all of these reports, however, is that not one of them contains any evidence whatsoever which indicates a supernatural cause. At best, what we get is something which we cannot readily identify.

So, as I said, there is no evidence in favor of ghosts, alien visitations, or anything of the sort. There's plenty of evidence about claims of them - but then, anecdotes are not evidence, and actual investigation invariably turns up nothing.

If you think otherwise, feel free to present your case.

Present my case for what? Isn't it obvious I think otherwise? You have researched dozens of claims of bumps in the night and enhanced your skepticism? Is that helpful to you when researching the Bible?

27-08-2015, 01:21 PM
(17-08-2015 07:00 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  To me, religions and ghosts (like the ones you hear about in tv shows about haunted houses)
are separate things, even if they are both supernatural. So after I became an atheist I begun thinking "but what about regular ghosts, wouldn't it be ridiculous to not apply that to my new anti-supernatural rational thinking?"

Yet, I'm not sure I would dare to set my foot into a supposedly haunted house or spend a day/night in it...

Have you ever had thoughts familiar to these?

When I was slowly loosing my faith. I turned to a lot of the "reality" ghost shows. I used to love the show's like unsolved mystery's that would reenact events of the "supernatural". But it wasn't enough so I started watching Most Haunted, Ghost Hunters, Ghost Adventures, etc...etc..

I looked to ghost for proof of the supernatural. If ghost exist then it would mean (to at least me) that the soul existed, and could still live after the body died. My parents (who were and still are religious) would often joke at me for believing such non-sense.

I started become more skeptic of these after watching a lot of James Randy. I brought a lot of big questions to my mind. Like why do ghost always have cloths on do clothes have souls. Or in one Ghost Adventures they "found" a ghost car. How dose a collection of metal and rubber get an after life?

Religion's push spirits, souls, and supernatural. Most of the ghost hunters shows will bring in crosses, and call on Jesus's name to EXORCISE THE DEMONS! And low and behold the ghost is gone! That will be $2,000.

[Image: image.png]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
27-08-2015, 01:35 PM
(19-08-2015 02:18 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You live inside my head now? Undecided

There was a vacancy.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 10 users Like houseofcantor's post