But what about regular ghosts?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2015, 01:28 PM
RE: But what about regular ghosts?
(17-08-2015 07:11 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(17-08-2015 07:00 AM)Typho2k Wrote:  To me, religions and ghosts (like the ones you hear about in tv shows about haunted houses)
are separate things, even if they are both supernatural. So after I became an atheist I begun thinking "but what about regular ghosts, wouldn't it be ridiculous to not apply that to my new anti-supernatural rational thinking?"

Yet, I'm not sure I would dare to set my foot into a supposedly haunted house or spend a day/night in it...

Have you ever had thoughts familiar to these?

I've been in several supposedly haunted buildings, including time spent alone. If there really was such a thing as ghosts then considering the number of people who have died, even just those under tragic or violent circumstances, we'd be finding traces of ghosts everywhere. The evidence would be indisputable.

The most likely answer to me is that ghosts are the result of an over-active agency detection system reacting to shadows and sounds. They only exist as far as you allow them to in your mind.

humans throughout history have died in terrible ways in large numbers, at this point we should have been overrun by these undead bed-sheet covered bastards long ago if they really existed
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Ace's post
11-09-2015, 06:51 AM
I've always regarded ghosts to be bullcrap ever since I was young, even while I was still a believer. Stood in front of a mirror and said 'Bloody Mary' three times, nothing.

Now I apply logic. If you hear a ghost, then it had to have produced detectable sound waves in order to register to your ears. If you see a ghost, then it had to have produced visibly detectable photons in order to register to your eyes. If a ghost moves an object, then it must have had detectable mass/energy.

Seeing as no ghosts have been 'detected' (or falsely claimed to have been detected), it's simply a figment of someone's fearful and suspicious imagination.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
11-09-2015, 10:00 AM
(09-09-2015 12:26 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 12:17 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  On what basis, then, are you the primary human being you look to for wisdom? I've yet to meet an atheist who followed anyone closely above their own selves.

So what?

No, really. So what? Are you stating that atheists, who believe in no gods, should therefore be venerating other humans?

No. I'm stating that born again people by definition have to humble themselves before God to be saved, while atheists overwhelmingly are people who succumb to pride, so much so that they dictate relationships--and of course, are un-humble to not only God, but parents and peers and The Q who plead with them to rely upon God and Christ.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-09-2015, 10:08 AM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2015 01:13 PM by ClydeLee.)
(11-09-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 12:26 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  So what?

No, really. So what? Are you stating that atheists, who believe in no gods, should therefore be venerating other humans?

No. I'm stating that born again people by definition have to humble themselves before God to be saved, while atheists overwhelmingly are people who succumb to pride, so much so that they dictate relationships--and of course, are un-humble to not only God, but parents and peers and The Q who plead with them to rely upon God and Christ.

You now when you're pleading to someone who isn't telling you to think or do anything... that the pleading the person trying to dictate.

The religious in your case here are those dictating and have pride via confidence in their conviction so much that they strongly desire someone else to accept their way.

I agree with you about not liking asserting oneself upon others. I don't promote that idea to a excessive fault for myself. Though it's why I don't bicker with my sister as she honestly believes her freezerbox is haunted. I don't go on to explain how ghosts are stupid and it's a dangerous thing to believe in such fear-induction superstition without benefit to her. I would rather just have data come up about how ghost sightings and electronic meters really don't hold up to solid data. You can't really defend to say ghosts can't be recorded scientifically then say we have these E-meters that register ghost activity.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
11-09-2015, 10:36 AM
(28-08-2015 09:23 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ----
Christianity 101:

Some people are liars about the supernatural.
Some people are deceived about the supernatural and ascribe miracles and devils where there are none.
There are devils, angels and God; occasionally they step in to our time/space but not to overwhelm human free will--you are accountable to Jesus for atheism because the "devil can't make you do it"--you will experience the miraculous--or at least the providential--if you trust Christ but "God won't make you trust Him against your free will".
[Image: lucyhahacrop.jpg]
Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
11-09-2015, 11:38 AM
(11-09-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 12:26 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  So what?

Do you ever read what you write?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
11-09-2015, 12:14 PM
(11-09-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  No. I'm stating that born again people by definition have to humble themselves before God to be saved, while atheists overwhelmingly are people who succumb to pride, so much so that they dictate relationships--and of course, are un-humble to not only God, but parents and peers and The Q who plead with them to rely upon God and Christ.

[Image: 12a.gif]

Seriously, though. It's hilarious, the way you think you know a single thing about us.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
16-09-2015, 11:22 AM
(11-09-2015 10:08 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 10:00 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  No. I'm stating that born again people by definition have to humble themselves before God to be saved, while atheists overwhelmingly are people who succumb to pride, so much so that they dictate relationships--and of course, are un-humble to not only God, but parents and peers and The Q who plead with them to rely upon God and Christ.

You now when you're pleading to someone who isn't telling you to think or do anything... that the pleading the person trying to dictate.

The religious in your case here are those dictating and have pride via confidence in their conviction so much that they strongly desire someone else to accept their way.

I agree with you about not liking asserting oneself upon others. I don't promote that idea to a excessive fault for myself. Though it's why I don't bicker with my sister as she honestly believes her freezerbox is haunted. I don't go on to explain how ghosts are stupid and it's a dangerous thing to believe in such fear-induction superstition without benefit to her. I would rather just have data come up about how ghost sightings and electronic meters really don't hold up to solid data. You can't really defend to say ghosts can't be recorded scientifically then say we have these E-meters that register ghost activity.

Jesus resurrected as a person, not a ghost or holy ghost. We can rely on the authenticity and accuracy of the Bible writers, and fulfilled prophecy as recorded in history, and not E-meters.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
16-09-2015, 11:24 AM
(11-09-2015 12:14 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  

[Image: 12a.gif]

Seriously, though. It's hilarious, the way you think you know a single thing about us.

I'm unsure who or what you mean by "us" because atheists even on this forum tend to bicker with one another and I can't get any consistency as to whether absolutes exist, reality exists, a definition of God, a definition of Christianity, or twenty other things I can name. But I do know this, from having witnessed to hundreds of atheists--you insist that you are good people without faith, without religion, with subjective, relative benchmarks, and while mocking and hassling Christians. No.

16-09-2015, 11:36 AM
(16-09-2015 11:24 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm unsure who or what you mean by "us" because atheists even on this forum tend to bicker with one another and I can't get any consistency as to whether absolutes exist, reality exists, a definition of God, a definition of Christianity, or twenty other things I can name.

That's rather my point.

The only common thread between atheists is that we lack belief in gods. Literally nothing else is required. Attempting to paint such a varied group with such a broad brush is rather silly.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post