Butting heads with religious mother

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2014, 10:12 PM
Butting heads with religious mother
Before I begin I'll say that my mom is very opinionated and extremely social as well. I have always been a mellow person. I just went with the flow. It is only recently in the past few years, I too have begun to form my own real and strong opinions on things. One of them is that (you guessed it) the lack of belief in a god. We had our 3rd religion-based argument yesterday. This one started out so trivial that you might not even believe it. She noticed I sometimes put my pinky finger up when I drank out of a cup. I was like "So what?" And she was like "that's what gay people do" this was when my brother stepped in and told her that he does it sometimes as well. She just couldn't believe what she was hearing. Then I said "So because I moved my finger a bit I'm gay?" I was exaggerating on purpose. She said no and then started to say stuff about how my uncle gets hit on by guys a bars all the time. I then jokingly said "well if he turned gay he would have a ton of options" her face got serious all of a sudden and I kid you not, she asked "Are you defending gay people?!" I'm not sure how she got that out of what I said but I was like "Well.. Gay people are not different than you or I" it escalates from there. To wrap it up she constantly goes back to the bible. I thoroughly believe she has never used her own brain to half the things she does. To her god is the underlying thing above everything else. She doesn't question the bible except for abortion. She is surprisingly pro choice. The only thing we agree on (of the big debates) unfortunately. I love her as a mother but I disdain her as a person. What's worse is that I'm a prisoner of my own self. My social anxiety is keeping from getting a job and moving on with my life. Ironic really. I have to experience hell on the outside to escape the hell on the inside. I'm sorry, I just had to let this out. For the record I'm 21.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2014, 11:09 PM
RE: Butting heads with religious mother
Welcome to the forum.

Just to let you know, this section of the forum is specifically set aside as a protected zone.

If it wasn't, I would defend your mother's stance on abortion as being biblical.

As far as I know, abortion is only mentioned once (Numbers 5) and only then as a narrative explaining the reason and procedure to perform an abortion.

Also, if we weren't in the protected section, I might say something flippant about whether or not your mother eats shellfish or wears clothes that contain more than one fabric.

As this is, however, a safe zone where problems are shared and help is offered, I will offer my sympathy. And also my empathy as I can relate to the social anxiety aspect of your post.

You are not alone in this as the subject has come up before.

There are plenty of jobs that do not require a huge amount of social interaction. I'm not saying that you should apply for a job as a lighthouse keeper (which now I think about it, would be my dream job) but maybe work in a warehouse or something?

I do hope you find an escape route because I think this would be easier than trying to change your mother's opinions.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
31-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Quote: my mom is very opinionated

You cannot change her. You can only change yourself. Or...escape from her grasp.

These bible nuts can be dangerous.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
01-06-2014, 01:12 AM
Next time she starts with her bullshit, tell her to "be silent, woman!"; citing 1st Corinthians 14:34 and 1st Timothy 2:12.

When she objects, shout the verses loudly and angrily.

She wants to play the scripture game? We'll play the scripture game.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2014, 05:13 AM
Google Bible verses that you can use against her. You can use the fact that the Bible does not condemn homosexuals directly; just homosexual intercourse. You can say that she should keep her mouth shut, as Misanthropik said (though you might want to be a little more tactful, seeing as how you're still living with her. You might want to say something like "The Bible also says this - (...)".). You can say that she should be kept in a dark room without touching anyone when she's menstruating (no, I'm not kidding; google it). If she and your father had sex before marriage, you can say that's a sin. Tell her that, if her hand/eye/whatever caused her to sin, that she should remove the body part and cast it away.

The Bible is full of retarded statements like these.

Also, on an unrelated note, Metal Gear Solid is one of my favorite game series in existence. I finished Metal Gear Solid 4 nearly 20 times and unlocked everything except one thing: the Big Boss Emblem. I tried, but I screwed up several times. Metal Gear Solid 4 was the first, and so far only, thing that has ever made me feel nostalgic.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
02-06-2014, 05:23 PM
The next time the conversation turns to gays, remind her that we were all made in god's image. Does that mean god screwed up or were gays made on purpose. As Richard Dawkins likes to say "Perhaps gays were created to look after the wife and family while the husband was away hunting". There seems to be one in every family and if the gays are approaching your relative, they know, only he's trying to keep it a secret.