Buying Eggs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2014, 01:53 PM
Buying Eggs
I'm an advid label reader, but eggs are totally confusing to me.

Cage free, certified organic, free range, pasture roaming.

Seriously....what the heck does all this mean?!

Some, I've read, clip their beaks. Some certified organic chickens are never allowed outdoors. Pasture roaming is meangingless, free range can or might not mean outdoors...

My egg lady's moving so I have to return to buying eggs at the store -- something I haven't done in a while now.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2014, 01:54 PM
RE: Buying Eggs
(15-09-2014 01:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm an advid label reader, but eggs are totally confusing to me.

Some, I've read, clip their beaks. Some certified organic chickens are never allowed outdoors. Pasture roaming is meangingless, free range can or might not mean outdoors...

My egg lady's moving so I have to return to buying eggs at the store -- something I haven't done in a while now.

When I can afford it I look for eggs that have the ASPCA label of approval. Because most of the titles they use are useless to go by.
[+] 2 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
15-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Certified organic, with the seal, means they aren't chuckfull of hormones and antibiotics.

Cage free means they are in large barns, standing side by side mostly, with a little room to move, beaks clipped off because they hate being cramped and would mutilate each other. (same with the ones in cages).

Free range implies simply more space, so is more humane. Pasture roaming, if true, should have a much better flavor in addition to being perfectly humane.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-09-2014, 02:52 PM
(15-09-2014 01:54 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 01:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm an advid label reader, but eggs are totally confusing to me.

When I can afford it I look for eggs that have the ASPCA label of approval. Because most of the titles they use are useless to go by.

I'll start looking for the label. Smile

(15-09-2014 02:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  Certified organic, with the seal, means they aren't chuckfull of hormones and antibiotics.

Cage free means they are in large barns, standing side by side mostly, with a little room to move, beaks clipped off because they hate being cramped and would mutilate each other. (same with the ones in cages).

Free range implies simply more space, so is more humane. Pasture roaming, if true, should have a much better flavor in addition to being perfectly humane.

On many websites they say there's little difference between free range and pasture roaming, tho the name should indicate differences.

That's why I'm confuzzeled.

Thanks for the help!

15-09-2014, 03:45 PM
(15-09-2014 02:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 01:54 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  When I can afford it I look for eggs that have the ASPCA label of approval. Because most of the titles they use are useless to go by.

I'll start looking for the label. Smile

(15-09-2014 02:07 PM)Dom Wrote:  Certified organic, with the seal, means they aren't chuckfull of hormones and antibiotics.

On many websites they say there's little difference between free range and pasture roaming, tho the name should indicate differences.

Thanks for the help!

Pasture roaming also indicates that their beaks are intact - they can't use pasture when their beaks are cut off.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
15-09-2014, 03:47 PM
(15-09-2014 03:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 02:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'll start looking for the label. Smile

Thanks for the help!

Pasture roaming also indicates that their beaks are intact - they can't use pasture when their beaks are cut off.

But not really...according to ASPCA website they aren't required to not do it, so many do.

I think I'm going to find a new egg person. Undecided

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-09-2014, 03:50 PM
(15-09-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 03:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  Pasture roaming also indicates that their beaks are intact - they can't use pasture when their beaks are cut off.

But not really...according to ASPCA website they aren't required to not do it, so many do.

Yes, I buy them local too. Well, birds with cut off beaks cannot forage, they can only shovel food in. So a pasture would make no sense for them. Also, pastured birds do not attack each other, which is why the beaks are cut.

It's a very cruel practice.

[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-09-2014, 04:08 PM
ugh, I buy mine from the commissary, don't remember the brand, but they are the jumbo ones. Of course they must raise them next to a nuclear reactor because they are huge. Most times, 9-11 of the dozen are twins too, must be the oodles of growth hormones Unsure

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
15-09-2014, 05:56 PM
(15-09-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 03:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  Pasture roaming also indicates that their beaks are intact - they can't use pasture when their beaks are cut off.

Its all to confusing. Just go with ASPCA label. Lol.

I cant stand the idea of what they do to those poor birds Sad
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
15-09-2014, 06:46 PM
(15-09-2014 05:56 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  
(15-09-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But not really...according to ASPCA website they aren't required to not do it, so many do.

Its all to confusing. Just go with ASPCA label. Lol.

I cant stand the idea of what they do to those poor birds Sad

It is totally confusing and eye opening.