Buying Eggs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2014, 07:37 PM
RE: Buying Eggs
I used to have an egg lady, but since I started my new job I don't see her anymore. Sad

She had a few ducks and would always throw a couple duck eggs in every dozen. Yums!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
15-09-2014, 08:06 PM
(15-09-2014 07:37 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I used to have an egg lady, but since I started my new job I don't see her anymore. Sad

She had a few ducks and would always throw a couple duck eggs in every dozen. Yums!

I need to find a new one....seriously need to find a new one.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

15-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Visit the farm. If they won't let you, assume there is a reason. If a single brand of eggs comes from many farms, then there is unlikely to be consistency with the way they are treated. Labels like cage free, vegetarian fed, and natural are meaningless. Labels like organic, no antibiotics, and pasture raised are more useful, but still inconsistent due the difficulty in enforcing those standards.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
15-09-2014, 09:22 PM
Oh thanks! Nice idea.

16-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Yup, Yak nailed it. If you can't go visit the hens that are laying the eggs, you have no way of knowing how they are treated.

The frustrating part is that it's not worthwhile to raise chickens properly, because people aren't willing to pay for it. We used to keep around 25 laying hens, but no one was willing to pay the four fifty a dozen we needed just to break even. That's why we reduced our flock to just enough for us and immediate family.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
16-09-2014, 05:22 PM
Don't you live near Portlandia where there's a farmer's market on every block? There's probably some local hippie food coop you can join as well where the only thing you have to worry about is how much THC actually makes it into the egg.

Oh, and here's Baltimore's take on eggs.

#sigh
16-09-2014, 05:23 PM
(16-09-2014 05:16 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yup, Yak nailed it. If you can't go visit the hens that are laying the eggs, you have no way of knowing how they are treated.

The frustrating part is that it's not worthwhile to raise chickens properly, because people aren't willing to pay for it. We used to keep around 25 laying hens, but no one was willing to pay the four fifty a dozen we needed just to break even. That's why we reduced our flock to just enough for us and immediate family.

Heart

miss you a bunch....

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
16-09-2014, 05:37 PM
(16-09-2014 05:16 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Yup, Yak nailed it. If you can't go visit the hens that are laying the eggs, you have no way of knowing how they are treated.

See, I've got no problem paying that. Regular cage free eggs with an organic label are around that a dozen or more.

My egg lady charged around that. Her eggs were totally worth it.

16-09-2014, 05:45 PM
(16-09-2014 05:22 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Don't you live near Portlandia where there's a farmer's market on every block? There's probably some local hippie food coop you can join as well where the only thing you have to worry about is how much THC actually makes it into the egg.

Thanks..the farmers markets around here go away in the late summer to early fall. They won't return until next May.

Plus the one closest to us, doesn't sell eggs. Sad

Some of them really kinda suck. They sell burritos, flowers, candles and salsa. Oh and nuts and kettle corn....

Fucking lame.

16-09-2014, 05:48 PM
I wish we had a lady that laid eggs.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post