CGI Superman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2017, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 08:41 PM by Glossophile.)
CGI Superman
One of my hobbies is CGI art, particularly of human figures. Among my more recent projects is a refurbished 3D Superman, and I thought I'd share him here for anyone who's interested in this sort of thing. My goal is ultimately something that could pass for a photo, so any constructive critique in that regard is welcome!

I should note that very little of the basic modeling work is my own. I begin with an androgynous base called Genesis (from a company called Daz) and use dozens if not hundreds of parameter dials (e.g. eye angle, nose width, eyebrow depth, lip size) to customize the shape of the face and body . This applies to the clothing items and hair as well. Most of the textures and shading are something that I've developed over years of experience and expert advice, with some help from starter kits. The images are rendered in Poser Pro 11, a software package for 3D artists.

Although in terms of the suit, I aimed for a sort of quintessentially generic version the character rather than any particular incarnation, the face was deliberately modeled to resemble the late but great Christopher Reeve, and his recognizability is another point upon which I welcome your feedback.

[Image: Superman11.jpg]
[Image: Superman10.jpg]
[Image: Superman14.jpg]

I'm considering using him in some image macros comparing him to Jesus or God, maybe with captions like, "Just as fictional; Much better role model." Even more ambitiously, I might see if I could make an image of him challenging or calling out the supposed Lord on his atrocities and/or ineptitude.

The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. – Carl Sagan
Sōla vēritās sancta in philosophiā nātūrālī est absentia vēritātum sanctārum.
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστίν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Glossophile's post
05-08-2017, 08:52 PM
RE: CGI Superman
Cool hobby! The shape of face and hair looks great, is it me or are the eyes and skin a bit discolored? The full body looks good.

23-03-2018, 12:17 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2018 12:22 AM by Glossophile.)
Thanks, Jerry! Well, it's been quite a while, but for anyone who was interested in this, I think alot of progress has been made in the interim. Between upgrades to the base model and character morph as well as what I at least think are improvements to the texturing/shading, I've hopefully improved greatly on my previous 3D Superman figure. So without further ado, here are some sample images of the latest version! Hopefully, at least the skin color will look better.

[Image: ChrisTM3.jpg]

[Image: Superman1TM3.jpg]

[Image: Superman2TM3.jpg]
(Credit goes to Kaleomokuokanalu Chock for the background panoramic photo, used under this license.)

[Image: Superman3TM3.jpg]

The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. – Carl Sagan
23-03-2018, 12:37 AM
Jawbone a bit too wide compared to width of skull at the eyes.

imho Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
23-03-2018, 12:59 AM
Thanks for chiming in, Deesse23! Yeah, I'm no anatomist, so it's possible that my proportions are a bit off. I was focused more on capturing a decent likeness of Christopher Reeve than on scientific accuracy.

23-03-2018, 01:28 AM
(23-03-2018 12:59 AM)Glossophile Wrote:  Thanks for chiming in, Deesse23! Yeah, I'm no anatomist, so it's possible that my proportions are a bit off. I was focused more on capturing a decent likeness of Christopher Reeve than on scientific accuracy.

Yeah, im not saying its bad, i just felt at first glimpse (and first impression is important and often correct) that he looks a bit too much of a bouncer at the entrance of alub. He definitely reminds of Reeve, no objection here.

Talking about (too) big....did you ever have second thoughts about his "package"? Big Grin
Ok, hes superman and all that, but shouldnt he be a black dude? Blush

23-03-2018, 02:35 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2018 02:53 AM by Glossophile.)
Well, I didn't give his manly endowment much thought. Just dialing the "Genital Bulge" morph up to 1 is pretty much my standard procedure for making male characters. While it is probably on the larger side, it's never seemed implausibly or distractingly so, at least to me.

Now, you should see the mammary endowments of my female characters, to which I freely confess to devoting quite a bit more attention! Tongue They're not back-breakingly large (at least, I don't think so), but at the same time, anyone who saw them probably wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the artist was a straight male.

While we're on the subject, I seem to recall seeing a clip of an interview with Margot Kidder (Lois Lane to Reeve's Superman), and she humorously recounted how there was a behind-the-scenes debate about just how big the Man of Steel's package should look. She said one time it protruded so much that she teased Christopher by flicking it and going, "Ding! Ding! Ding!" Laughat

Now that I mention it, I wonder if Reeve ever felt insulted or inadequate while they hashed out just how much padding to use.

Does anyone else agree regarding the jaw or penis size or have any other observations/critiques/suggestions?

23-03-2018, 03:20 AM
The genitals look crushed in the vertical. Testicles are side by side. I agree Superman is going to need a couple of big ones, but you're flirting with R there. PG-13 is where the money is.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-03-2018, 03:33 AM
Mhm, the belt, doesnt the belt look a bit wide/high?
Maybe a somewhat lower "coutout" for the red pants, that would probably alleviate the "package issue". Big Grin

23-03-2018, 03:47 AM
Hey Gloss, that is VERY cool.

I'm a big fan of the Reeve movies, (well more 1 than the others), but Christopher Reeve/Superman holds a special place in my heart because of it. This really does look like him, or perhaps a younger/youthful version of him. I will echo the, ahem, "super bulge" but that's not a major distraction haha.

The suit looks very cool. One of the first images it looks painted on, but the close up of his face shows a more modern "Man Of Steel" looking quality to it, which is awesome. Out of interest, would you consider adding the new suit as well? Or maybe adding more of a "texture" that the new suit seems to have at least. Very cool though. You should do the Flash next Smile

"When you’re in a relationship, you’re in a band. Sometimes you sing lead and sometimes you’re on tambourine. And if you’re on tambourine, play it right. Play it with a fucking smile. ‘Cause nobody wants to see a mad tambourine player.” - Chris Rock