CGI Superman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2017, 08:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2017 08:41 PM by Glossophile.)
CGI Superman
One of my hobbies is CGI art, particularly of human figures. Among my more recent projects is a refurbished 3D Superman, and I thought I'd share him here for anyone who's interested in this sort of thing. My goal is ultimately something that could pass for a photo, so any constructive critique in that regard is welcome!

I should note that very little of the basic modeling work is my own. I begin with an androgynous base called Genesis (from a company called Daz) and use dozens if not hundreds of parameter dials (e.g. eye angle, nose width, eyebrow depth, lip size) to customize the shape of the face and body . This applies to the clothing items and hair as well. Most of the textures and shading are something that I've developed over years of experience and expert advice, with some help from starter kits. The images are rendered in Poser Pro 11, a software package for 3D artists.

Although in terms of the suit, I aimed for a sort of quintessentially generic version the character rather than any particular incarnation, the face was deliberately modeled to resemble the late but great Christopher Reeve, and his recognizability is another point upon which I welcome your feedback.

[Image: Superman11.jpg]
[Image: Superman10.jpg]
[Image: Superman14.jpg]

I'm considering using him in some image macros comparing him to Jesus or God, maybe with captions like, "Just as fictional; Much better role model." Even more ambitiously, I might see if I could make an image of him challenging or calling out the supposed Lord on his atrocities and/or ineptitude.

The only sacred truth in science is that there are no sacred truths. – Carl Sagan
Sōla vēritās sancta in philosophiā nātūrālī est absentia vēritātum sanctārum.
Ἡ μόνη ἱερᾱ̀ ἀληθείᾱ ἐν φυσικῇ φιλοσοφίᾳ ἐστίν ἡ ἱερῶν ἀληθειῶν σπάνις.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2017, 08:52 PM
RE: CGI Superman
Cool hobby! The shape of face and hair looks great, is it me or are the eyes and skin a bit discolored? The full body looks good.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply