CHRIST'S TOMB

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2014, 09:42 AM
CHRIST'S TOMB
So, a short discussion on another thread got me thinking - no mean feat (thanks, Escape Artist!)

Christians often claim that they worship a risen savior. My question is: Where's his empty tomb and how do they know its his?

Doc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: CHRIST'S TOMB
I believe they have several of his tombs.... which is a problem right there.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
28-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Not to mention a few million nails from the fictional crucifixion.

Using Tapatalk
[+] 1 user Likes Phil Hill's post
28-01-2014, 10:08 AM
Most criminals crucified by the Roman occupation were dumped into common graves. You can assume, (if he was actually an historic person), that's what happened. The "Jesus Seminar" disagrees among themselves about what happened. See JD Crossan. There is an interesting "shift" in Mark (to transfer the burial from his enemies to his friends), but in light of the fact that the trial was entirely fiction, (the Sanhedrin never once in history was called into session on Passover weekend), AND the temple curtain, if it had been torn, would have been mentioned by a Jewish historian, it was probably all just pious fiction (fraud). They use Paul's "creed" in Corinthians I as evidence, (that he spoke with the apostles), but Paul says he got his gospel from his hallucination, so who the hell knows.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-01-2014, 10:39 AM
(28-01-2014 09:56 AM)Minimalist Wrote:  I believe they have several of his tombs.... which is a problem right there.

Details, please. Thanks.
Doc
28-01-2014, 04:28 PM
Assuming he was actually buried in a purpose built tomb... Considering the shit storm Jesus caused, and the fact he had a cult of worshippers, I think its quite reasonable to think the Romans took his body from the tomb and destroyed it, or buried it secretly...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Re: CHRIST'S TOMB
Are you saying Jesus was an escape artist and fled the tomb? Makes sense to me.

I've seen ads on YouTube lately proclaiming to be a Jesus tomb or his marketplace and it's quite disgusting how they proclaim these statements as Legit

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-01-2014, 05:01 PM
(28-01-2014 10:08 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Most criminals crucified by the Roman occupation were dumped into common graves. You can assume, (if he was actually an historic person), that's what happened. The "Jesus Seminar" disagrees among themselves about what happened. See JD Crossan. There is an interesting "shift" in Mark (to transfer the burial from his enemies to his friends), but in light of the fact that the trial was entirely fiction, (the Sanhedrin never once in history was called into session on Passover weekend), AND the temple curtain, if it had been torn, would have been mentioned by a Jewish historian, it was probably all just pious fiction (fraud). They use Paul's "creed" in Corinthians I as evidence, (that he spoke with the apostles), but Paul says he got his gospel from his hallucination, so who the hell knows.
Wow Bucky, I can't believe that never occurred to me, but it's an excellent point. Why would Jesus have been given a special tomb? In my believing days, I had always imagined it to be like a cave in which Jesus was placed and the opening then covered with a boulder. But caves had to be hard to come by. Surely they would have been reserved for emperors or high officials, if anyone at all. Thanks, I'm going to remember to bring this up to my relatives next time they insist on a discussion.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
28-01-2014, 05:10 PM
Re: RE: CHRIST'S TOMB
(28-01-2014 05:01 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(28-01-2014 10:08 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Most criminals crucified by the Roman occupation were dumped into common graves. You can assume, (if he was actually an historic person), that's what happened. The "Jesus Seminar" disagrees among themselves about what happened. See JD Crossan. There is an interesting "shift" in Mark (to transfer the burial from his enemies to his friends), but in light of the fact that the trial was entirely fiction, (the Sanhedrin never once in history was called into session on Passover weekend), AND the temple curtain, if it had been torn, would have been mentioned by a Jewish historian, it was probably all just pious fiction (fraud). They use Paul's "creed" in Corinthians I as evidence, (that he spoke with the apostles), but Paul says he got his gospel from his hallucination, so who the hell knows.
Wow Bucky, I can't believe that never occurred to me, but it's an excellent point. Why would Jesus have been given a special tomb? In my believing days, I had always imagined it to be like a cave in which Jesus was placed and the opening then covered with a boulder. But caves had to be hard to come by. Surely they would have been reserved for emperors or high officials, if anyone at all. Thanks, I'm going to remember to bring this up to my relatives next time they insist on a discussion.

According to the gospel story, the tomb belonged to Joseph of Aramathea. Who conveniently enough in the Greek is the grandfather of the Jewish traitor Josephus.

Using Tapatalk
28-01-2014, 05:22 PM
Yes, Joseph of Arimathea.

A man who didn't exist from a place that didn't exist who placed a "Christ" who didn't exist in a tomb that didn't exist.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post