CHRIST'S TOMB

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2014, 12:02 PM
RE: CHRIST'S TOMB
(07-02-2014 11:57 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Ugh. I posed the hypothetical question because I was CHALLENGING your "definitive" original statement, for if there was NO WAY you could be an atheist, then why look for reasons to doubt? Why aren't you understanding that?
Because, as already noted, it's a false dichotomy. Atheism is not the only alternative to Christianity. Why aren't you understanding that?
Quote:I was challenging your belief or at the very least your statement, because I didn't believe you. The only hole I'm digging is to bury you. You say you look for these reasons to strengthen your beliefs, but how much stronger does "NO WAY" need to get? NO WAY is NO WAY/

If you couldn't ever be an atheist, why are you looking for ways to be one?
Again, false dichotomy. Your worldview is quite simplistic. I already noted that there are other forms of theism and deism. Why do you insist that a challenge to Christian beliefs could only lead to atheism? You're just wrong. It's pathetic to see you repeat such a blatant error over and over.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2014, 12:03 PM
(07-02-2014 11:43 AM)alpha male Wrote:  Mine for one. Not everyone is an evangelist. We're all called to have an answer if questioned, but not all are called to proselytize. Neither do I recall having a Catholic or Methodist knocking at my door, but I have had JWs. There are differing views on proselytizing.

Fair enough.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-02-2014, 12:07 PM
(07-02-2014 12:02 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 11:57 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  Ugh. I posed the hypothetical question because I was CHALLENGING your "definitive" original statement, for if there was NO WAY you could be an atheist, then why look for reasons to doubt? Why aren't you understanding that?
Because, as already noted, it's a false dichotomy. Atheism is not the only alternative to Christianity. Why aren't you understanding that?
Quote:I was challenging your belief or at the very least your statement, because I didn't believe you. The only hole I'm digging is to bury you. You say you look for these reasons to strengthen your beliefs, but how much stronger does "NO WAY" need to get? NO WAY is NO WAY/

If you couldn't ever be an atheist, why are you looking for ways to be one?
Again, false dichotomy. Your worldview is quite simplistic. I already noted that there are other forms of theism and deism. Why do you insist that a challenge to Christian beliefs could only lead to atheism? You're just wrong. It's pathetic to see you repeat such a blatant error over and over.

Oh, so you're on an atheist forum to see if you might really be a Muslim/Jew/Buddist or maybe even a deist? That makes a lot of sense.

OK, fine, I understand now, you aren't here to see if you're an atheist. Why are you here again?

----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
07-02-2014, 12:15 PM
(07-02-2014 12:07 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Oh, so you're on an atheist forum to see if you might really be a Muslim/Jew/Buddist or maybe even a deist? That makes a lot of sense.
Did I say that challenging my beliefs is the only reason I come here? No, I also noted that I like to argue, and that I want to be prepared for real life situations. Overall those purposes can best be served at atheist forums. Also, you don't know that I don't go to other such forums. I don't - but you didn't know that.
Quote:OK, fine, I understand now, you aren't here to see if you're an atheist. Why are you here again?
Ah, the keep repeating questions already asked and answered in an attempt to get the last word in strategy. Second time I've seen that this month. Cool
07-02-2014, 12:37 PM
It was rhetorical.

I do find it funny you and I had the exact same amount of posts when you made your last remarks.

----
07-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Quote: Occasionally the condemned man's family did get permission from the Romans and remove the body from the cross and give it a proper burial (see Jehoanon's grave).

It probably did happen on occasion - especially with the payment of a suitable bribe - but we cannot be certain that is what happened in the case of Yehohanon. The Governor of Syria, Cestius Gallus led an ill-prepared campaign into Jerusalem in 66 and although he entered the city and did some mischief he seems to have brought along an army insufficiently sized for the task at hand ( one legion and some auxiliaries.) He withdrew.

It is likely that he nailed up a few bodies on crosses to persuade the locals to give it up and in the wake of his retreat there is no way to know if the families went out and took the bodies down for burial. This is all within the proper time frame for the use of ossuary burial in Judaean culture.

Far more relevant to the discussion at hand is the simple fact that Hadrian demolished the ruins of the old city and built a new city on top of it. 4th century xtians looking for holy places would not have been able to excavate down to the first century layers, roughly 30 feet below street level, to get to the city as it existed in the first century. They were deliberately fooling themselves which seems to be a xtian trait.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
07-02-2014, 01:46 PM
(07-02-2014 12:37 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  It was rhetorical.

I do find it funny you and I had the exact same amount of posts when you made your last remarks.

...and almost the same reputation as well, in absolute value at least.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 2 users Like toadaly's post
07-02-2014, 02:03 PM
(07-02-2014 01:46 PM)toadaly Wrote:  

...and almost the same reputation as well, in absolute value at least.

Thumbsup

----
07-02-2014, 02:06 PM
(06-02-2014 12:13 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 12:06 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Why challenge your beliefs? Not satisfied with the God you got? Think there's a better one out there?
I challenge them because I am satisfied, and that can lead to complacency. Also so I have answers ready IRL.

(06-02-2014 12:50 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 12:40 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  I see. And the only way to do that is to argue with atheists? Why not discuss it with your fellow believers instead?
Er, because talking with people with like beliefs is generally not an effective way to challenge one's beliefs. People with opposing beliefs are much better for challenging one's beliefs. That's kinda obvious, don't you think?
Quote:And what does complacency lead to? Loss of salvation?
No.
Quote:Loss of rewards?
Possibly.
Quote:Do insults and snark count as answers?
Depends on the situation.
Quote:I don't think you're reading your Bible, my friend. Here, let me give you a quote,

(2 Timothy 2:16)
But avoid irreverent babble, for it will lead people into more and more ungodliness,

So, you're personally responsible for all our apostasy with your irreverent babble.
Good thing I have a savior!
Quote:Your time might be better spent elsewhere, like searching for Christ's tomb.

Doc
Aw, can't let it go, can you? Angel

WillHopp,
All your arguments against Alpha are true because I just noticed that you are a Rush fan and that's all right in my book. Please continue to tear down that Bastille of ignorance.

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
07-02-2014, 02:09 PM
(07-02-2014 01:46 PM)toadaly Wrote:  ...and almost the same reputation as well, in absolute value at least.
I noticed that too. I was tempted to give him a negative rep to make it equal but opposite, but I think the whole rep thing is silly.