CHRIST'S TOMB

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 12:24 AM
RE: CHRIST'S TOMB
The reference to the crucified friends is in Josephus' autobiography.

http://www.ccel.org/j/josephus/works/autobiog.htm

Quote:I saw many captives crucified, and remembered three of them as my former acquaintance. I was very sorry at this in my mind, and went with tears in my eyes to Titus, and told him of them; so he immediately commanded them to be taken down, and to have the greatest care taken of them, in order to their recovery; yet two of them died under the physician's hands, while the third recovered.

#75.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2014, 06:09 AM
(04-02-2014 05:19 PM)cjlr Wrote:  I have several friends here who will back me up. I could have sworn I already mentioned my eyewitnesses. No?
Yes, you mentioned it. If the Bible were a single source which said it had friends who would back it up if necessary, you'd have a valid analogy. But it isn't a single source which says it has friends that will back it up if necessary, so again, your attempted analogy fails.

If you had, say, a Christian poster who's your enemy and they backed you up, that would be decent support, and would be somewhat analogous to Paul changing from persecutor of Christianity to Christian evangelist.
05-02-2014, 06:11 AM
(04-02-2014 05:26 PM)meremortal Wrote:  Many Muslims are willing to die for their faith. Does that make their religion true as well?
No, but it indicates that they believe their positions are true. That's an early step in evaluating a claim. If I determine that the claimant doesn't even believe it himself, I'm unlikely to investigate further.
05-02-2014, 06:17 AM
(04-02-2014 05:28 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  No, Alpha, you said testimony from someone who has something to lose is more powerful than testimony from someone who has something to gain.
And then I clarified that it's implied that they have conflicting testimony. Didn't think that was necessary, because if all witnesses were saying the same thing, there'd be no reason to rate their relative credibility. Not sure if you don't understand that or are just being overly pedantic to maintain your position.
Quote:But I see your point, so I will turn your query back on you, how do you know someone with more to lose is more believable? Because it's what you believe? Because it fits your stance better? It's subjective, no?
It's my experience, and I daresay common experience, that people are more likely to lie for personal gain than for personal loss. I work in taxation and it's not uncommon to see people lie, or push the gray, in order to reduce their taxes. I've never yet seen someone lie to increase their taxes.
05-02-2014, 06:19 AM
(04-02-2014 06:09 PM)Free Wrote:  Been there, done that. Took the gun from him, and said "Go fuck yourself." Yes, this actually happened to me. He was a white supremacist, and although I am also white, I would not buy into his bullshit.

Some people are not so easily intimidated. I am one of those people.
If true, that's excellent evidence that you really believe your own positions. Thanks for the example! Smile
05-02-2014, 06:22 AM
(04-02-2014 05:47 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Alpha,
You're dodging my question.
No, I answered the question I quoted.
Quote:Granted that the gospels say that Christ's tomb is empty - how would you confirm it?
Why would I need physical confirmation? Are you claiming that it's unreasonable to accept a written geographical reference without visiting the location yourself? If so, I disagree. If not, what's your point?
05-02-2014, 06:24 AM
(04-02-2014 06:09 PM)Cleanholio Wrote:  So, if someone on trial for attempted murder (and is facing a long prison sentence if found guilty) takes the stand and says they didn't do it, that is more compelling than the person whom they tried to kill (and would gain peace of mind if their attacker goes to prison) taking the stand and saying they did do it?
Er, no - in this case both people stand to gain, and the principle isn't applicable.
Quote:Please do your best to get out of jury duty in the future....
Please do your best to carefully read posts and think through your responses in the future... Tongue
05-02-2014, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 07:46 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(04-02-2014 03:42 PM)alpha male Wrote:  From the gospel accounts, silly. Blink

The gospels are not "accounts".
They are "proclamations" of faith. By believers. To believers. For believers. For use in liturgical services/ceremonies. Assembled in a culture that had no notion of "objectivity" as we think of it today. A culture where magic and miracles and dying and rising gods, and divine beings were seen everywhere.
In no way do they qualify as "accounts". Fairy tales, maybe.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-02-2014, 08:05 AM
(05-02-2014 06:22 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 05:47 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Alpha,
You're dodging my question.
No, I answered the question I quoted.
Quote:Granted that the gospels say that Christ's tomb is empty - how would you confirm it?
Why would I need physical confirmation? Are you claiming that it's unreasonable to accept a written geographical reference without visiting the location yourself? If so, I disagree. If not, what's your point?

I don't even need physical confirmation, in that I don't personally need to visit his tomb. I just need to know where it is. An "I don't know" is acceptable if you really don't know. If you do know the location, tell me how you know and put the location on the screen for all to see.

You don't believe in Lilliput or Lemuria or Atlantis even though they are "written geographical references", do you? Why make an exception in this case?
Doc
[+] 3 users Like docskeptic's post
05-02-2014, 08:57 AM
(05-02-2014 06:17 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(04-02-2014 05:28 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  No, Alpha, you said testimony from someone who has something to lose is more powerful than testimony from someone who has something to gain.
And then I clarified that it's implied that they have conflicting testimony. Didn't think that was necessary, because if all witnesses were saying the same thing, there'd be no reason to rate their relative credibility. Not sure if you don't understand that or are just being overly pedantic to maintain your position.
Quote:But I see your point, so I will turn your query back on you, how do you know someone with more to lose is more believable? Because it's what you believe? Because it fits your stance better? It's subjective, no?
It's my experience, and I daresay common experience, that people are more likely to lie for personal gain than for personal loss. I work in taxation and it's not uncommon to see people lie, or push the gray, in order to reduce their taxes. I've never yet seen someone lie to increase their taxes.

OK, subjective. Thanks.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post