COSMOS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 06:42 AM
COSMOS
I'm sure this has been discussed at length but I didn't see any threads about it so here is mine:

Just started watching the updated 'Cosmos' hosted by Neil DeGrasse Tyson and I'm absolutely loving it. Few brilliant men can relate their genius to the common (or more common) intellect and Neil does a fantastic job.

Tyson also does a fantastic job of essentially expressing the position that 'God' and religion are primitive and outdated belief structures that were inevitable with the dawn of man, but does so with a tact that can't be matched (so far as I've seen). He doesn't insult religion and faith, but rather respectfully brushes it off as an idea no longer even thought worthy.

As great as the show is at informing the common mind, I still get my brain warped when he discusses black holes and it's affects on space-time. It's fascinating to the point of awe inspiring.

I really just can't understand how anyone with a rational, functioning brain, could watch programming or have access to this knowledge and still allow themselves to fall victim to the pitfalls and repetitive cycles of religion. Makes me almost feel sorry for them. The beauty and wonder in our universe is far greater and mind blowing than the idea of any 'god' could ever be.

Just wanted to share a few opinions on the show, but still got some more episodes to watch. Would love to hear some others thoughts/opinions etc.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2014, 07:57 AM
RE: COSMOS
We had a fair number of threads back when it started airing.

I agree that it's very well put together. Definitely a worthy successor to Sagan's Cosmos (which itself is a successor to the BBC's Ascent of Man - I mean literally, the same producer). Have you seen either of those?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
18-08-2014, 08:08 AM
Quote:I really just can't understand how anyone with a rational, functioning brain, could watch programming or have access to this knowledge and still allow themselves to fall victim to the pitfalls and repetitive cycles of religion. Makes me almost feel sorry for them. The beauty and wonder in our universe is far greater and mind blowing than the idea of any 'god' could ever be.

I consider this line of thinking a pitfall too. These people are rational since they're able to get degrees, and be functional members of society. As well as some being extremely entrepreneurial, and/or extremely humanitarian. They're normal people, or even great people, in all areas but a few. Same with atheists who don't believe, but who are racist or sexist... or libertarian >_>

I have to strongly disagree on the idea of god not being mind blowing. Sure constellations, and the Higgs Bosons are great and all, but an actually intelligent being that transcends space and time... if that was proven to exist... I have no idea of how i'd even process that. That would be the closest i'd get to my mind being literally blown.
23-08-2014, 06:19 AM
I really enjoyed all of them. I have the entire series I got from pirating cuz I don't have T.V.

I will rewatch them forever.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
23-08-2014, 06:30 AM
Two things about this show I love the most about. But one fact I did not know that really pisses me off about humans.

1. How he constantly in several episodes shows how flawed logic causes humans worldwide to come to bad conclusions about the nature of reality.

2. We had solar power for a century and could have been making that the majority industry for power. THAT FUCKING PISSES ME OFF!

Neutrinos are awesome to think about. Billions of them pass through one centimeter of your body every second. And color is not actually in the object, but light itself, what we see is actually the light refracted off the object based on the molecular structure of the object.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2014, 06:56 AM
(18-08-2014 07:57 AM)cjlr Wrote:  We had a fair number of threads back when it started airing.

I agree that it's very well put together. Definitely a worthy successor to Sagan's Cosmos (which itself is a successor to the BBC's Ascent of Man - I mean literally, the same producer). Have you seen either of those?

The Ascent of Man was a watershed event for me. It was the first time the the intricate interconnectedness and flow of history was clearly shown (to me). The evolution of ideas, societies, ethics, driven by our understanding of reality through science were presented in a gentle yet breathtaking manner by Jacob Bronowski.

In the 11th (of 13) show, he is at Auschwitz.

"It's said that science will dehumanize people and turn them into numbers. That's false, tragically false. Look for yourself. This is the concentration camp and crematorium at Auschwitz. This is where people were turned into numbers. Into this pond were flushed the ashes of some four million people. And that was not done by gas. It was done by arrogance, it was done by dogma, it was done by ignorance. When people believe that they have absolute knowledge, with no test in reality, this is how they behave. This is what men do when they aspire to the knowledge of gods."

The most moving moment for me was Bronowski kneeling down to a pond at there, lifting up some muck containing the ashes of his and countless other families from the bottom, presenting the handful to the camera he says:

"Science is a very human form of knowledge. We are always at the brink of the known; we always feel forward for what is to be hoped. Every judgment in science stands on the edge of error and is personal. Science is a tribute to what we can know although we are fallible.
In the end, the words were said by Oliver Cromwell: "I beseech you in the bowels of Christ: Think it possible you may be mistaken."

I owe it as a scientist to my friend Leo Szilard, I owe it as a human being to the many members of my family who died here, to stand here as a survivor and a witness. We have to cure ourselves of the itch for absolute knowledge and power. We have to close the distance between the push-button order and the human act. We have to touch people.”

While both the new Cosmos and the original Cosmos were valuable and enjoyable, The Ascent of Man was a much richer, more moving, and ultimately more convincing portrayal of and for mankind.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-08-2014, 07:01 AM
(18-08-2014 08:08 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  
Quote:I really just can't understand how anyone with a rational, functioning brain, could watch programming or have access to this knowledge and still allow themselves to fall victim to the pitfalls and repetitive cycles of religion. Makes me almost feel sorry for them. The beauty and wonder in our universe is far greater and mind blowing than the idea of any 'god' could ever be.

I consider this line of thinking a pitfall too. These people are rational since they're able to get degrees, and be functional members of society. As well as some being extremely entrepreneurial, and/or extremely humanitarian. They're normal people, or even great people, in all areas but a few. Same with atheists who don't believe, but who are racist or sexist... or libertarian >_>

I have to strongly disagree on the idea of god not being mind blowing. Sure constellations, and the Higgs Bosons are great and all, but an actually intelligent being that transcends space and time... if that was proven to exist... I have no idea of how i'd even process that. That would be the closest i'd get to my mind being literally blown.

How is it a pitfall? It is an attempt to understand how someone can believe in nonsense.

Seems a useful pursuit to me. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post