CRAP! Suspicions confirmed. Nephew being taught junk "science".

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-01-2013, 03:36 PM
RE: CRAP! Suspicions confirmed. Nephew being taught junk "science".
(02-01-2013 03:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 03:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Unless, of course, you're not a Calvinist.
Everyone's a Calvinist. Some just don't know it.

Drinking Beverage
Oh yeah? Actually, everyone's an atheist and they don't know it (yet).

Checkmate, KC! Hobo

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
02-01-2013, 03:47 PM
(02-01-2013 03:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 03:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Unless, of course, you're not a Calvinist.
Everyone's a Calvinist. Some just don't know it.

Drinking Beverage

No one's actually a Calvinist since Calvinism's just crazy talk. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2013, 03:53 PM
(02-01-2013 03:36 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 03:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Everyone's a Calvinist. Some just don't know it.

Drinking Beverage
Oh yeah? Actually, everyone's an atheist and they don't know it (yet).

Checkmate, KC! Hobo
Well, you know what? Actually, everyone is in a computer simulation and just doesn't know it.

Flips over chess board, Vosur!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
02-01-2013, 03:57 PM
Actually everyone is a tiny, insignificant speck of self-aware carbon with delusions of grandeur, existing mere moments on this tiny, damp ball of iron and silica, before vanishing, extinguished, disappearing suddenly into the cold, empty dark.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
02-01-2013, 03:59 PM
(02-01-2013 03:53 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Well, you know what? Actually, everyone is in a computer simulation and just doesn't know it.

Flips over chess board, Vosur!

[Image: 3sexwm.jpg]

[Image: redpill_bluepill_matrix.jpg]

[Image: matrix_morpheus_red_blue_pill.jpg]

[Image: neo-wakes-in-matrix-pod.jpg]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
02-01-2013, 04:42 PM
(02-01-2013 03:57 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Actually everyone is a tiny, insignificant speck of self-aware carbon with delusions of grandeur, existing mere moments on this tiny, damp ball of iron and silica, before vanishing, extinguished, disappearing suddenly into the cold, empty dark.

And damned proud of it. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-01-2013, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 02-01-2013 09:59 PM by DeavonReye.)
The Matrix was truly a revolutionary movie. I see SO many hard core christians [and other religions, too, but for this post, we'll just focus on christians] who are well defined by the famous quote from Morpheus:

"The Matrix [or in this case religion] is a system, Neo. That system is our enemy. But when you're inside, you look around, what do you see? Businessmen, teachers, lawyers, carpenters. The very minds of the people we are trying to save [with reason]. But until we do, these people are still a part of that system and that makes them our enemy. You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to be unplugged. And many of them are so inert, so hopelessly dependent on the system that they will fight to protect it."

So to say "everyone is a Calvinist" . . . . or those who say "everyone believes in god", are like "those people who fight to protect The Matrix". We who recognize reality are those who "took the red pill". Is would be those defenders of YEC [without ANY reason other than their own personal beliefs] who are "hopelessly dependent" upon their faith being right, else they are lost.

It really is a fantastic movie full of all sorts of imagery.
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
02-01-2013, 07:01 PM
So if KC's worldview is based on the Matrix, is Egor's based on the Truman Show?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
03-01-2013, 06:29 AM
The Calvanist god is not worthy of worship. Most Christian gods are sufficiently detached from the world that although logically inconsistent with the world they are at least in principle good and worthy. The Calvanist god is what happens when you square God with reality and the Bible without inconsistency. He's the god that earmarks everyone from birth to eternal torture on his whim, and skims off a statistically insignificant number to enslave in the other eternal torture - eternal worship.
Sure, it's logically consistent... but Satan would be by far more worthy of worship.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
03-01-2013, 07:41 AM
This is my first post to this forum. Just want to say my sister and brother in law work for a Christian Missianary organization, and home schooled their kids. The last time I visited them about 3 years ago (we live 3000 miles apart) they had a world history timeline hanging on the wall going back 7000 years to the creation of the earth and dinosaurs. I did take my nephew and niece to a real Science Museum one time and there was a replicas of the Lucy fossil. My nephew told me it was fake, and carbon dating is inaccurate. I told him that things in a real science museum have to go through an intensive review process, but left it there.

Anyway, at the time I was still not quite given up on faith, and this was one of the things that kind of pushed me over the edge. If my own sister could become this much of a fundamentalist (after growing up in a more liberal mainline Protestant church), I didn't want this to happen to my kids. My mom had also brought some Intellegent Design videos to show my kids when she came to visit a few years ago.. I didn't let my kids watch it, and it wasn't long after that I came out to my wife as a non believer.

I'm about the same age as Seth and can really relate a lot to his journey. I'll try to post more about my coming out of faith story to another thread.

Regarding how I deal with my neice and nephew, so far my sister has been great since I told them I was no longer a Christian. I'd rather have a good relationship with them that to instigate arguments, and I'll respect their right as parents to teach their kids. If I am asked questions, I'll give honest answers. But since I don't live nearby, I don't have much contact to begin with.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Debunking Jehovah's Witnesses latest anti-science article Northern Skeptic 9 167 Today 06:26 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Observational Science Vs Historical science? Metazoa Zeke 5 205 11-03-2014 11:06 PM
Last Post: BryanS
  Any one got an idea of what creationist junk i should debunk next Metazoa Zeke 10 274 23-01-2014 10:48 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  If the universe is 6,000 years old, what happens to science? cufflink 12 1,091 26-06-2013 09:19 AM
Last Post: TheBeardedDude
Thumbs Down 4th grade "science" quiz makes me want to wretch Jeffasaurus 53 2,739 31-05-2013 05:41 PM
Last Post: ghostexorcist
  Science against evolution theophilus 203 10,941 24-04-2013 07:42 AM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Creation Science Hall of Fame JerichoStar 18 1,895 15-01-2013 08:45 AM
Last Post: dj-hato