CS Lewis stupid?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 11:07 PM
CS Lewis stupid?
He writes.
Quote:My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?... Of course I could have given up my idea of justice by saying it was nothing but a private idea of my own. But if I did that, then my argument against God collapsed too—for the argument depended on saying the world was really unjust, not simply that it did not happen to please my fancies.

What about an evil god?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2014, 11:12 PM
RE: CS Lewis stupid?
I thought he was remarkably stupid.
But then I couldn't read beyond about page two of his Prepositionalist crap.
At least he was all, like... "tweady".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
25-02-2014, 11:14 PM
(25-02-2014 11:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I thought he was remarkably stupid.

My point is that he says argument from evil is not argument against god because morals can only come from god.
However if morals come from god and X is immoral why does god allow X if he thinks it is immoral? Because god is immoral and evil himself?
Apparently Lewis completely missed this point.
And Francis Collins found Lewis to be very smart. What is going on with the world.
25-02-2014, 11:18 PM
(25-02-2014 11:14 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 11:12 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I thought he was remarkably stupid.

My point is that he says argument from evil is not argument against god because morals can only come from god.
However if morals come from god and X is immoral why does god allow X if he thinks it is immoral? Because god is immoral and evil himself?
Apparently Lewis completely missed this point.
And Francis Collins found Lewis to be very smart. What is going on with the world.

Francis Collins was a Genetecist, and a believer. That does not in ANY way provide him with credentials, or any more expertise about anything except his own field, (genetics).

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
25-02-2014, 11:20 PM
I'm not sure what he means by "universe". If he just means life in general, I don't think you really need to look at a society where everyone lives to be eighty to know that millions of babies dying is cruel and unjust.

If he means all of existence, I really don't think it cares enough to even bother being cruel or unfair.
25-02-2014, 11:23 PM
(25-02-2014 11:20 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I'm not sure what he means by "universe". If he just means life in general, I don't think you really need to look at a society where everyone lives to be eighty to know that millions of babies dying is cruel and unjust.

If he means all of existence, I really don't think it cares enough to even bother being cruel or unfair.

Well Lewis was talking about almighty god.
Almighty god thinks X is evil and has power to prevent it but doesn't.
How is that not an argument against god even if morals do come from god? Lewis owned himself.
25-02-2014, 11:25 PM
(25-02-2014 11:23 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(25-02-2014 11:20 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I'm not sure what he means by "universe". If he just means life in general, I don't think you really need to look at a society where everyone lives to be eighty to know that millions of babies dying is cruel and unjust.

Well Lewis was talking about almighty god.
Almighty god thinks X is evil and has power to prevent it but doesn't.
How is that not an argument against god even if morals do come from god? Lewis owned himself.

He was desperately trying to make sense of the death of his wife.
He was mentally distraught.

[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-02-2014, 01:01 AM
I've skimmed "Mere Christianity", and though it is full of non-sequiturs, the man was not stupid.

...ok, Screwtape letters is kind of stupid, but it's obvious (to me at least), that its intent was a bit tongue in cheek.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
26-02-2014, 01:04 AM
(26-02-2014 01:01 AM)toadaly Wrote:  I've skimmed "Mere Christianity", and though it is full of non-sequiturs, the man was not stupid.

...ok, Screwtape letters is kind of stupid, but it's obvious (to me at least), that its intent was a bit tongue in cheek.

Is his quote which I presented above stupid?
26-02-2014, 03:02 AM
(26-02-2014 01:04 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 01:01 AM)toadaly Wrote:  I've skimmed "Mere Christianity", and though it is full of non-sequiturs, the man was not stupid.

Is his quote which I presented above stupid?

Yes it was a stupid statement but no C.S. Lewis was not stupid. As Bucky said his wife had just recently died and he was very much in love with her, all his friends had spent years browbeating him into rejoining the cult so when he did finally jump back in he went all in and went ultra-presuppositional with 1 caveat. CS is the only person to make the connection that what Jesus is claimed to have said is inherently Immoral unless he was God incarnate and knew the end of the world was imminent. However he didn't take the next step and count how many years have past since those statements were supposedly made.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post