CT shooting 20+ dead.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2012, 01:46 PM
RE: CT shooting 20+ dead.
(14-12-2012 01:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And the conversation on gun control will be glossed over yet again. I am all for my constitutional rights, but not at the expense of people like this getting their hands on them.
Nothing is glossed over. Actual common sense and statistics show we would be banning a lot more lifeless objects before guns got to the chopping block,but don't let that overshadow your emotion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2012, 01:51 PM
how many of those other "objects" were explicitly designed to kill?

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
14-12-2012, 02:08 PM
(14-12-2012 01:51 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  how many of those other "objects" were explicitly designed to kill?
oh jeeze, are you reading this out of a script? It's takes a special kind of non-logic to ignore reality and numbers for the sake of "original intent."

Please remember the act of killing itself isnt evil, otherwise we'd lump the sheepdog in with the wolves.
14-12-2012, 02:12 PM
So we shouldn't regulate who gets to buy guns? Really?

I have to go to the DMV and waste 3 days of my life just to register my car and get a license, but I can to a gun show, purchase a weapon on site and with no background check.

I didn't say ban all guns, other countries have shown that strict laws regulating them helps. http://www.bradycampaign.org/facts/

Statistics are a hell of piece of info to have in your corner.

Evolve

Smartass
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
14-12-2012, 02:13 PM
That doesn't mean other things aren't also deadly and harmful, but one deadly and harmful thing shouldn't be ignored just because there are others out there. This is a problem that can be amended and at least curbed with better regulation.

Evolve

Smartass
14-12-2012, 02:25 PM
(14-12-2012 02:13 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  That doesn't mean other things aren't also deadly and harmful, but one deadly and harmful thing shouldn't be ignored just because there are others out there. This is a problem that can be amended and at least curbed with better regulation.
No one was claiming there arn't,but YES, if you going to tackle a problem thru law, why not start banning the most deadly things?

No it really dosent. Did prohibition work? The war on drugs? Those arnt even in our bill of rights clocking in at #2. Politicians and the public are so ignorant on firearms that they can't and arn't taken seriously. Most people have 0 clue what a actual assault rifle is, or that they've been highly regulated(not banned)since 1934. We don't need the constitution re-written based off of things people think they know from movies.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
14-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Agreed on the information issue but what "most deadly things" are you talking about? Cigarettes kill a hell of a lot more people than guns, traffic accidents, or alcohol. But they kill the people using them. Guns are used to kill OTHER people. Traffic accidents can kill OTHER people. Alcohol tends to be like cigarettes, unless the person combines it with alcohol or driving and then it affects OTHER people.

Did prohibition work? No. But we aren't talking about comparable things here. Is the war on drugs working? No, but we still aren't comparing the same thing. And assault rifles are not the only problem. It's not like those are the only ones that are capable of killing someone.

Evolve

Smartass
14-12-2012, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2012 02:48 PM by Impulse.)
(14-12-2012 01:18 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 12:52 PM)lucradis Wrote:  There should be police assigned to every single elementary school every day of the year. Period.
We can't always stop people so fucked up that they would kill children, but we have to try. This shit is why I don't want my kid to go to school. I'm not worried about kids picking on her, I'm worried that some asshole with a gun will shoot her at random.

Maybe there should be at least one administrator armed and trained in every school.
I agree with the sentiment, but I just don't think that would stop a shooter. It might cut down on the fatalities, but anyone could barge in, start shooting, and kill a few people before the armed person even knew anything was going on.

I think the schools need to be physically more secured. Classes should take place behind strong locked doors that no one could just barge through. Kids should have their backpacks examined on the way in just like airlines check baggage. It sucks that it has come to this, but this has happened enough now that we can predict it will certainly happen again. But only if we let it.

Edit:
I meant to add too that I would be concerned about anyone shooting in schools, even armed/trained administrators because, in moments of fear and panic, accidents happen.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
14-12-2012, 02:44 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2012 02:48 PM by fstratzero.)
Guns, knives, cleavers, and hammers are the symptom.

The disease was in their minds. Perhaps addressing the real problem with better mental health would be a better solution.

A series of uncoordinated mass stabbings, hammer attacks, and cleaver attacks in the People's Republic of China began in March 2010. The spate of attacks left at least 21 dead and some 90 injured. Analysts have blamed mental health problems caused by rapid social change for the rise in these kind of mass murder and murder-suicide incidents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_atta...%932011%29

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
14-12-2012, 02:45 PM
(14-12-2012 01:36 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And the conversation on gun control will be glossed over yet again. I am all for my constitutional rights, but not at the expense of people like this getting their hands on them.
I agree with some level of gun control, but only to a point. I don't see why the average person needs anything more than single shot guns for self-defense, hunting, or otherwise. Eliminating the semi and fully automatics could cut at least down on the carnage in situations like this school shooting. But some people will still get their hands on them so it isn't the cure-all either. And I certainly wouldn't eliminate guns completely because that would just mean only the criminals would have them.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post