CT shooting 20+ dead.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2012, 10:13 PM
RE: CT shooting 20+ dead.
I don't like guns, but at the same time if I was attacked there's nothing I would want more.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2012, 10:30 PM
What I find most disturbing is the typical American response to any tragedy: "Where do I point my finger?"

I've heard that it's because the killer's parents are divorced. I've heard that America has been getting more violent since we "took God out of schools." (When was he IN schools?) Republicans mock Obama's crying during his speech. Liberals immediate exploit the situation to try to get more gun control laws. All I can wonder about that is... once guns are gone and mentally disturbed youths turn to homemade explosives learned on youtube, killing more kids than they ever could with guns... will there be an outcry for "more bomb control laws?" This kid killed his mother, walked into a school with 3 guns, and killed 20+ people. All of these actions are illegal. Should we make them "more illegal"?

Stop focusing on the weapon of choice and start focusing on the cause.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 3 users Like Buddy Christ's post
14-12-2012, 10:50 PM
But thats the point Buddy, we cannot face the cause nor do we fully know it. What exactly is the tipping point for someone. Right now we blane guns because it's easier than facing the actual reason. The people who are willing to help are few and far. I personnally would do anything to help one of these people out, but I don't know who they are or posses the resources to help them. and it hurts, badly, I don't want to go on when I hear stories like this. I may joke, but that's just me trying to fight off the pain.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

14-12-2012, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2012 11:03 PM by Buddy Christ.)
(14-12-2012 10:50 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  But thats the point Buddy, we cannot face the cause nor do we fully know it. What exactly is the tipping point for someone. Right now we blane guns because it's easier than facing the actual reason. The people who are willing to help are few and far. I personnally would do anything to help one of these people out, but I don't know who they are or posses the resources to help them. and it hurts, badly, I don't want to go on when I hear stories like this. I may joke, but that's just me trying to fight off the pain.

People are wildly pointing at anything for the cause. If violent video games, divorce, lack of gods, or guns themselves were the cause, then nerds, 3/4ths the population, atheists, and NRA members and rednecks everywhere would be dying in record numbers. No one seems to care about the why, just the who. "Who can I blame?" Was this kid (he was 20, not even old enough to drink, so he was a kid to me) bullied in school? Why did he seem to target the authority figures in his life? He was most likely just mentally unhinged. Not crazy, mind you. He had enough wits to wear a bulletproof vest and the guilt to kill himself when he was done... so certainly not crazy.

Also, why do people seem to prefer schools to do their shootings? Because they are tightly packed with targets, have very few escape routes (maybe each school room should have a fire exit door), and are the least likely place to find armed resistance. So my first thought would be to ensure that each school has a few security guards and maybe a few guns in a lock box somewhere. At least have the teachers all have access to panic buttons or something. The gas station near my house has a cop hanging out in it every night due to the high robbery rate. Can't we do the same with our schools?

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
14-12-2012, 11:03 PM
(14-12-2012 10:58 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 10:50 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  But thats the point Buddy, we cannot face the cause nor do we fully know it. What exactly is the tipping point for someone. Right now we blane guns because it's easier than facing the actual reason. The people who are willing to help are few and far. I personnally would do anything to help one of these people out, but I don't know who they are or posses the resources to help them. and it hurts, badly, I don't want to go on when I hear stories like this. I may joke, but that's just me trying to fight off the pain.

People are wildly pointing at anything for the cause. If violent video games, divorce, lack of gods, or guns themselves were the cause, then nerds, 3/4ths the population, atheists, and NRA members and rednecks everywhere would be dying in record numbers. No one seems to care about the why, just the who. "Who can I blame?" Was this kid (he was 20, not even old enough to drink, so he was a kid to me) bullied in school? Why did he seem to target the authority figures in his life? He was most likely just mentally unhinged. Not crazy, mind you. He had enough wits to wear a bulletproof vest and the guilt to kill himself when he was done... so certainly not crazy.

Also, why do people seem to prefer schools to do their shootings? Because they are tightly packed with targets, have very few escape routes (maybe each school room should have a fire exit door), and are the least likely place to find armed resistance. So my first thought would be to ensure that each school has a few security guards and maybe a few guns in a lock box somewhere.
personally I blame myself. As irrational as it sounds I should have been there. Maybe I could have stopped it.

I think there should be gun defense drills. The instant someone pulls one out everyone starts chucking things at them. Good luck getting a shot off then.

14-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Let us count the ways... from the OP, one sentence, two sentence, three; soapbox. And what is the value of your life? Fear not, for someone can build a platform from it, or its end. Whatever the market will bear.

I'm in the hospital, it's two in the afternoon, and I get a new roomie. Old guy, prolly looking for a place to die, and the first thing he does is turn his set to this... still playing when I left at five. What is that, that fascination, and that allure to pontificate upon tragedy?

I was watching Lost Girl all day. Much better use of TV. Angel

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2012, 11:14 PM
dear *deity of an outdated belief system* hoc
did someone steal your gwnies or did you OD on them?

14-12-2012, 11:22 PM
It is so painful to think that any being we share something in common with could do something as monstrous as kill small children that we yearn for a cause, something to blame so that we can fix it and stop this from ever happening again.

Sure the blame game is futile and completely degenerates into name-calling, but it is also a mark of how deeply we all feel something like this, how desperately we all wish to stop it. Sometimes, our worst moments reveal greatness, but usually they just show us where greatness could be.
15-12-2012, 11:02 AM
(14-12-2012 06:46 PM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  I'm not convinced that even having a cop present would have done anything except sacrifice a cop.
Bullshit. There are people in this world that live for no other reason but to stop bullshit like this, and these people know that the only chance of not being subject to evil is to offend the offender and end him/them.

Think the mindset below is foolish when confronting "greater" odds? Well they've already made the mental choice to not be a coward. You can't stop people from doing evil things, but you can stop them.

A normal citizen who had a CWW but determined his carry gun wasnt the right tool given the # people in his targets background, with the help of others stopped the Gabby Giffords shooter. He obviously made the concsious choice long before that day on what direction he would run.

(14-12-2012 11:03 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 10:58 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  
personally I blame myself. As irrational as it sounds I should have been there. Maybe I could have stopped it.
Thumbsup
15-12-2012, 12:12 PM
(15-12-2012 11:02 AM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 06:46 PM)ScienceGeek2587 Wrote:  I'm not convinced that even having a cop present would have done anything except sacrifice a cop.
Bullshit. There are people in this world that live for no other reason but to stop bullshit like this, and these people know that the only chance of not being subject to evil is to offend the offender and end him/them.

Think the mindset below is foolish when confronting "greater" odds? Well they've already made the mental choice to not be a coward. You can't stop people from doing evil things, but you can stop them.

A normal citizen who had a CWW but determined his carry gun wasnt the right tool given the # people in his targets background, with the help of others stopped the Gabby Giffords shooter. He obviously made the concsious choice long before that day on what direction he would run.

I just meant that the man would have anticipated the cop's presence and just shot the poor officer in the back before going after the kids. His mother worked at the school, the man had more than enough knowledge of the layout and normal movements.

There is more here to fix than just sticking a cop at the door. Better access to mental health care, better access to employment, to education, building strong community ties in all members, etc. are going to be more effective as preventative measures than simply adding cops, or locking kids down in schools.