Cabin Fever...how do you cope?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 11:04 AM
RE: Cabin Fever...how do you cope?
Some good advice. Thanks guys. I hate to seem like I'm being argumentative, but, well, here goes...

Most of the activities mentioned require some sort of dexterity. Think of my hands like very weak lobster claws. Ya. That image you just got in your head is pretty accurate. My hands are fucked.

It's not just about getting outside, it's about being happy and comfortable. I was born and raised on the Canadian prairies. I know how to stay warm in the winter. The problem is, that's part of the cabin fever. The ordeal of getting bundled up. The extra effort. The lack of sunlight.

Hmmm....you guys have already been a big help. You're helping me figure out WHAT is causing this anxiety. One more step, right? I guess what I need to cope with, more accurately, is the season.

My wife and I have been seriously discussing moving as soon as it is financially feasible. But right now we are running a farm and starting a fairly large business. Moving isn't an option for at least two more years, and more likely five.

I love you guys.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
05-02-2014, 11:14 AM
Spend time in your grow rooms, set up a chair in there and read for an hour. A lot of the seasonal cabin fever (depression) is due to the lack of sunlight. It's not unusual to be helped by being exposed by simulated sunlight.

I bought a special LED lamp to read, do homework, and waste time on the Webz, I have noticed that the different light source helps.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-02-2014, 11:17 AM
(05-02-2014 08:57 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  As the title suggests, I am curious how you guys cope with cabin fever. I am an outdoors person. Maybe even more so than most. I spend the winters staring outside, waiting for it to warm up.

This year has been especially hard for me. Just like everywhere else, it's been an unseasonably cold and nasty winter so far. The cold has affected my arthritis to the point where even walking to the car turns my hands into rigid claws screaming with pain. And so I spend my time inside, pining for warm weather and sunshine.

It's only the beginning of February. The lack of inactivity is getting to me.

How am I to cope?

I live in the pacific northwest where it rains probably most days. I'm not really exaggerating either. We usually get around 8-12 weeks off from rain during the summer months.

During the winter months tho, we are inundated with cold temps (probably not as cold as you get), wind rain and yuck -- dark sunless days -- it makes us appreciate the cold 40 degree sunny days more. Spring and fall too but usually not quite as chilly. During those months I tend to read more than usual. Someday's it's just too yucky to want to venture out. My husband on the other hand, hates being cooped up in the house. Even a trip to the grocery store is a respite for him.

On most weekends we cook a lot. A big pot of something....anything really that consumes time. To us, it's like mentally visiting other countries. Also you sometimes get to learn a cooking technique that you might not have tried.

I will say that arthritis just sucks, it's really, really awful. I don't have any advice for that.

Hug

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

05-02-2014, 11:23 AM
I HATE winter!

In the other seasons, I pop in and out of the house constantly, like 20 times a day, taking short walks and breaks from sitting at the darn computer.

Winter depresses me, Both my husbands died in winter, and if I get sick, I do it in the winter. It's miserable.

My best way out is my aquarium.

I have it landscaped with real plants and it brings summer into the house for me. Everything grows and blooms and needs some pruning etc, and the fish are so fun to watch. I can sit in front of the aquarium and totally chill, just like I can sitting under a tree in the summer.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-02-2014, 12:13 PM
It snowed here - AGAIN ShockingShockingShocking Fuck!!!!! And I mean we got dumped on. We already had another 8 inches on the ground and last night brought us another 2 feet. Probably shouldn't complain. Lots of folks have more snow than we do. And we stocked up on supplies...... so.......... I shouldn't bitch.

Cabin fever? You bet.
I'm listening to a series on Netflix - with a couple of drawing projects and doing some sewing. I also cleaned out the freezer and made the world's largest pot of steak soup.

Bundling up to help shovel and chop some firewood was the Only outing for this day I assure you. We are going NOwhere in this blizzard.

back to sewing............

Thumbsup
Stay warm everybody

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
05-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Get your massive steam library, search the steam workshop if you are bored, get a bowl of popcorn and a horde of snacks, a foot warmer or a electronic warm blanket, START PLAYING!
Also put on netflix.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
05-02-2014, 12:56 PM
(05-02-2014 11:04 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Some good advice. Thanks guys. I hate to seem like I'm being argumentative, but, well, here goes...

Most of the activities mentioned require some sort of dexterity. Think of my hands like very weak lobster claws. Ya. That image you just got in your head is pretty accurate. My hands are fucked.

It's not just about getting outside, it's about being happy and comfortable. I was born and raised on the Canadian prairies. I know how to stay warm in the winter. The problem is, that's part of the cabin fever. The ordeal of getting bundled up. The extra effort. The lack of sunlight.

Hmmm....you guys have already been a big help. You're helping me figure out WHAT is causing this anxiety. One more step, right? I guess what I need to cope with, more accurately, is the season.

My wife and I have been seriously discussing moving as soon as it is financially feasible. But right now we are running a farm and starting a fairly large business. Moving isn't an option for at least two more years, and more likely five.

I love you guys.
Okay, you should keep squeezing a stress ball, it helps your hands.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
05-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Snowshoes and a camera.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-02-2014, 11:57 PM
I agree with others as well as some things I do:

Sit in your warm, moist and earthy green rooms and read/play/watch movies/ or whatever. If I lived on your farm I'd build a temporary sauna outside, they are awesome.

Watch beach movies, make your music island vibed and look at eye-candy summer photos.

Exercise in whatever way you can.

Get super obsessed with your hobbies and interests you already have.

For me the biggest help is my imagination. That's a great tool. Cabin fever is like that story/movie Count of Monte Cristo. Edmond was stuck in a room for years. People would normally go insane, but he used his mind, a great asset, to make it through and even improve himself for when he would be free.

Try to get whatever pain you have under control, and if you can get outside for even small bits of time that will help with the cooped feelings.

This winter has been a long one, it's awful.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
06-02-2014, 02:05 AM
I usually have to do something physical. The adrenaline is the only thing that makes me forget I'm in a confined, cold space.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days