RE: Cabin Fever...how do you cope?
I usually locked myself in my room with iBooks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 10:17 AM
OK, forget the snowshoes.

Grow-lights. That's your answer.

Create an indoor tropical oasis; you're already growing stuff. Warm, daylit, fights off SAD. Win-win-win. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-02-2014, 12:30 PM
I hate to be the person who's complaint sounds like they are trying to make others jealous, but we here in coastal California have the opposite problem. Although it is raining right now we have not had nearly enough of it. Last year was the driest calendar year on record (usually water years are July 1st to June 31st and I have not checked on how that period stacks up) and we desperately need the rain, and snow in the mountains, or our water systems are going to be fucked. People have been asked to voluntarily reduce domestic consumption and farmers have been put on notice that their water allotments may be significantly cut or even no water will be available.

Along with the lack of rain have been some unseasonably warm temperatures. December and January were mostly sunny and warm. I tried to google what percentage of annual rainfall usually comes in those two months but so much information on the drought clogged up search attempts that I gave up. From memory those two months account for a significant percentage of the total. Remember California gets very little summer rain. The annual snow survey, the snow pack in the Sierras accounts for a very significant percentage of all California's supply, takes place generally mid February. From all reports and based on pictures I have seen of the mountains it is likely to be grim. Many ski areas have not opened and even those that have snow making machines have been hampered by warm air temperatures.

I know it may sound good to you who are snowed in but it is not good for California.
Find all posts by this user
06-02-2014, 12:34 PM
(06-02-2014 12:30 PM)JAH Wrote:  I hate to be the person who's complaint sounds like they are trying to make others jealous, but we here in coastal California have the opposite problem. Although it is raining right now we have not had nearly enough of it. Last year was the driest calendar year on record (usually water years are July 1st to June 31st and I have not checked on how that period stacks up) and we desperately need the rain, and snow in the mountains, or our water systems are going to be fucked. People have been asked to voluntarily reduce domestic consumption and farmers have been put on notice that their water allotments may be significantly cut or even no water will be available.

Along with the lack of rain have been some unseasonably warm temperatures. December and January were mostly sunny and warm. I tried to google what percentage of annual rainfall usually comes in those two months but so much information on the drought clogged up search attempts that I gave up. From memory those two months account for a significant percentage of the total. Remember California gets very little summer rain. The annual snow survey, the snow pack in the Sierras accounts for a very significant percentage of all California's supply, takes place generally mid February. From all reports and based on pictures I have seen of the mountains it is likely to be grim. Many ski areas have not opened and even those that have snow making machines have been hampered by warm air temperatures.

I know it may sound good to you who are snowed in but it is not good for California.

I fly to CA on Sunday and I am seriously looking forward to enjoying warmer weather for 2 weeks!!! I've been happily packing capri pants and tshirts!!

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
06-02-2014, 05:29 PM
I go into hibernation. Sleep is my friend.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-02-2014, 05:51 PM
(05-02-2014 11:04 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Some good advice. Thanks guys. I hate to seem like I'm being argumentative, but, well, here goes...

Most of the activities mentioned require some sort of dexterity. Think of my hands like very weak lobster claws. Ya. That image you just got in your head is pretty accurate. My hands are fucked.

It's not just about getting outside, it's about being happy and comfortable. I was born and raised on the Canadian prairies. I know how to stay warm in the winter. The problem is, that's part of the cabin fever. The ordeal of getting bundled up. The extra effort. The lack of sunlight.

Hmmm....you guys have already been a big help. You're helping me figure out WHAT is causing this anxiety. One more step, right? I guess what I need to cope with, more accurately, is the season.

My wife and I have been seriously discussing moving as soon as it is financially feasible. But right now we are running a farm and starting a fairly large business. Moving isn't an option for at least two more years, and more likely five.

I love you guys.

If you have neighbors close, it doesn't take much to people watch!
And when they slip & bust their ass on the ice, or someone spins out in the snow trying to get out the driveway it can help reinforce in your mind why it's not a bad thing to be inside and warm Shy

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
06-02-2014, 06:01 PM
I live in lower Texas and do not have cabin fever; however,

My two feline companions have cabin fever. They want to mate and cannot (not spayed) so I must keep them in. One jumped to the top of the door and just hung on, then on my back; the other keeps climbing the window blind--4th window blind. They are not coping at all, and I fear for my life. No shit! I have been running from them, all that unfulfilled energy.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
07-02-2014, 12:42 PM
I feel a little better today. I had to hike out to the bush and although it beat the shit outta me, it was worth it. Got some serious exercise, (and yes, Chas, I did use the snowshoes, but didn't have room for the camera. Next time) and some much needed emotional release. The trip out was for WarHorse, but i suspect it helped me a whole fuck of a lot more than him.

BTW, Guligon, I need binoculars to see my neighbours. And besides, farmers are way too smart to be seen outdoors in weather like this.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post