Cafe Society

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2016, 02:02 AM
Cafe Society
What is the craziest thing you have seen in a cafe?

Yesterday I was in a supermarket cafe and a guy went to the counter to complain. He said “My fried bread is too thin! Look, it's too thin.”

He held up the fried bread and measured it with his fingers. The manager was called, who explained that all their bread is pre-sliced and they could give him some more to make up. The guy (standing there with his family) started to get really angry and abusive. With a few choice swear words he told the manager that he didn't want any more of their “thin” fried bread and he made his family give all their meals back and stormed out, still swearing on the way.

You know, somehow I don't think that fried bread was at the core of this guys anger?

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2016, 02:18 AM
RE: Cafe Society
My sister originally majored in Public Relations, until it occurred to her one day that she really didn't like the public very much.

She wound up getting a generic Business degree and becoming an events coordinator and concierge at a swanky high-end hotel, where apparently they are so overbooked and in-demand that she reserves the right to tell overly demanding customers to fuck off. It's one of my favorite parts about being both in business for myself and in the motorcycle business... we don't have very many douchebag customers, and I get to tell them to get bent if I feel like it.

I did once hear a story about potato chips (crisps, to you Brits) being invented because a whining customer said his sliced potatoes were too thick and too soggy, so the chef went back and sliced them ridiculously thin and then burned them to a crisp... which the client loved. Dunno if it's true, but it makes a good story.

All I know is, I'm definitely not cut out for any job in which one would have to deal with people like that.

I've also always liked the joke about the WASP-y middle class lady haircut:

[Image: 873fc40a33406fb730a4c691598cd539.jpg]

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
16-11-2016, 06:31 AM
(16-11-2016 02:18 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  My sister originally majored in Public Relations, until it occurred to her one day that she really didn't like the public very much.

She wound up getting a generic Business degree and becoming an events coordinator and concierge at a swanky high-end hotel, where apparently they are so overbooked and in-demand that she reserves the right to tell overly demanding customers to fuck off. It's one of my favorite parts about being both in business for myself and in the motorcycle business... we don't have very many douchebag customers, and I get to tell them to get bent if I feel like it.

I did once hear a story about potato chips (crisps, to you Brits) being invented because a whining customer said his sliced potatoes were too thick and too soggy, so the chef went back and sliced them ridiculously thin and then burned them to a crisp... which the client loved. Dunno if it's true, but it makes a good story.

All I know is, I'm definitely not cut out for any job in which one would have to deal with people like that.

If I ever get that haircut, shoot me.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
16-11-2016, 06:35 AM
(16-11-2016 06:31 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 02:18 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  My sister originally majored in Public Relations, until it occurred to her one day that she really didn't like the public very much.

If I ever get that haircut, shoot me.

Laugh out load I know I don't get this hair style. I'm all about people expressing themselves, but I just don't get this hair style. A lot of women have it though.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-11-2016, 06:42 AM
I can't remember a bad experience in a cafe. Other places, yes. Once there was a customer in front of me in the grocery store check out who was yelling at the cashier for going to slow. He was clearly upsetting her. The cashier had an intellectual disability and was doing the best she could. I am very zen typically but that kind of shit behavior makes me go all Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side. Wink Well, needless to say, he stopped Drinking Beverage
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
16-11-2016, 07:09 AM
Cafe Society
Idk, nothing crazy comes to mind other than being charged for a concert going on in the back when I already was in the cafe for awhile doing my own thing with friends.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
16-11-2016, 07:40 AM
(16-11-2016 02:02 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  What is the craziest thing you have seen in a cafe?

Yesterday I was in a supermarket cafe and a guy went to the counter to complain. He said “My fried bread is too thin! Look, it's too thin.”

He held up the fried bread and measured it with his fingers. The manager was called, who explained that all their bread is pre-sliced and they could give him some more to make up. The guy (standing there with his family) started to get really angry and abusive. With a few choice swear words he told the manager that he didn't want any more of their “thin” fried bread and he made his family give all their meals back and stormed out, still swearing on the way.

You know, somehow I don't think that fried bread was at the core of this guys anger?

D.

I reckon he realised, after making his order, that he forgot his wallet. He was probably embarrassed and angry at the fact he had no cash or cards, and used the thin fried bread excuse to make a quick retreat.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
16-11-2016, 07:51 AM
I was sitting in a country bar enjoying a drink when a pretty girl came up and asked me to dance. That was weird. Soldiers in civilian bars were not respected back then.

After the dance I returned to my table to find a pretty barmaid had taken my half-full drink. As she walked by I said "You took my drink - you owe me one." She said "No, I don't owe you anything. That would cost you twenty dollars and you will have to wait until I get off my shift."

The worst thing was that it took a week for me to figure out what she meant. I returned to that bar several times afterward and never could repeat the sequence of events.
[+] 2 users Like Warts And All's post
16-11-2016, 07:57 AM
I don't really do the café thing. Pubs are more up my alley. I was in a burger place in the city center and there was a young girl in front of me. She was a heroin junkie. The young lad behind the counter couldn't understand her. She had just had her fix and was slurring her words. Eventually we figured out she wanted an ice cream thingy. He went off to get the order. She was standing like a statue in front of me. After a few minutes your man came back. She didn't respond. She was fast asleep standing up! I was amazed, she wasn't leaning on the counter or anything like that. I gave her a gentle shake and woke her up. She didn't know where she was. I explained she just ordered an ice cream. She went on about about having no money etc.... but I explained that she already paid. Eventually I got my order. Later as I was leaving, I saw the girl sitting at a table, fast asleep. with a tub of melted ice cream in front of her.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 2 users Like Marozz's post
16-11-2016, 08:10 AM
(16-11-2016 06:35 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Laugh out load I know I don't get this hair style. I'm all about people expressing themselves, but I just don't get this hair style. A lot of women have it though.

It is called a "Bob cut" and is quite difficult to do properly. And it only works for some faces and necklines. Its advantage is that it is almost maintenance free.

OK, I shouldn't know that but my wife is a hair stylist. For some reason our dinner conversations always involve hair.
[+] 2 users Like Warts And All's post