Cafe Society

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-11-2016, 08:38 AM
RE: Cafe Society
(16-11-2016 06:31 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(16-11-2016 02:18 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  My sister originally majored in Public Relations, until it occurred to her one day that she really didn't like the public very much.

She wound up getting a generic Business degree and becoming an events coordinator and concierge at a swanky high-end hotel, where apparently they are so overbooked and in-demand that she reserves the right to tell overly demanding customers to fuck off. It's one of my favorite parts about being both in business for myself and in the motorcycle business... we don't have very many douchebag customers, and I get to tell them to get bent if I feel like it.

I did once hear a story about potato chips (crisps, to you Brits) being invented because a whining customer said his sliced potatoes were too thick and too soggy, so the chef went back and sliced them ridiculously thin and then burned them to a crisp... which the client loved. Dunno if it's true, but it makes a good story.

All I know is, I'm definitely not cut out for any job in which one would have to deal with people like that.

I've also always liked the joke about the WASP-y middle class lady haircut:

[Image: 873fc40a33406fb730a4c691598cd539.jpg]

If I ever get that haircut, shoot me.

I think it's hot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-11-2016, 09:23 AM
I was in Chengdu eating lunch at a cafe in the hotel with a guy from Quebec. It had a few Westernish items, but nobody in their right mind expects it to be authentic. Anyway, he ordered some "French Onion soup", as the probably google translate side of the menu said ( for like 10 yuan, just over a dollar US). When he got it there wasn't cheese on top and he completely flipped out.

I told him if he wanted authentic he might consider the kung pow chicken. He got all pissed off at me too once he realized I wasn't on his side and was passively making fun of him.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
16-11-2016, 09:43 AM
Portland and Seattle are sort of Cafe Society cities but I've never seen anything unusual...... well except for just the regular, normal weirdness that is Portland and Seattle. Being odd and eccentric is normal here. Being bizarr is quite acceptable. Crazy is ok too. Most people are just trying to get out of the rain.

When I'm in a cafe most people are polite when they order and then they go back to their tables, get on their laptops and sit for hours Maybe THAT'S when they let loose. Maybe it's on internet forums......like atheist forums that their impoliteness comes out. Excluding myself, of course. Unsure

Thank you and you're welcome. Big Grin

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-11-2016, 02:23 PM
(16-11-2016 07:57 AM)Marozz Wrote:  I don't really do the café thing. Pubs are more up my alley. I was in a burger place in the city center and there was a young girl in front of me. She was a heroin junkie. The young lad behind the counter couldn't understand her. She had just had her fix and was slurring her words. Eventually we figured out she wanted an ice cream thingy. He went off to get the order. She was standing like a statue in front of me. After a few minutes your man came back. She didn't respond. She was fast asleep standing up! I was amazed, she wasn't leaning on the counter or anything like that. I gave her a gentle shake and woke her up. She didn't know where she was. I explained she just ordered an ice cream. She went on about about having no money etc.... but I explained that she already paid. Eventually I got my order. Later as I was leaving, I saw the girl sitting at a table, fast asleep. with a tub of melted ice cream in front of her.

Marozz,

Yes, your incident trumps (sorry for that word) the fried bread on many levels. The similarity is that neither of them were funny.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
16-11-2016, 05:12 PM
(16-11-2016 09:43 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Portland and Seattle are sort of Cafe Society cities but I've never seen anything unusual...... well except for just the regular, normal weirdness that is Portland and Seattle. Being odd and eccentric is normal here.

I spent about ten years in Portland and a year in Seattle - some of the nicest people anywhere on the planet. I loved the cafes and bars. I would move back but I can't afford it. Somebody once told me the reason so many atheists live in the PNW is that god can't afford an apartment there.
[+] 2 users Like Warts And All's post