Cafe culture accuracy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2016, 04:09 AM
Cafe culture accuracy
Hi,

Has anyone noticed you that you rarely see a person in the ‘wrong’ cafe?

Our neighbourhood has many different cafes, and I like to go in them all occasionally. What I have noticed is that ‘birds of a feather flock together’. There are cafes for the laptop and book people, the working Joes, the grey heads, the middle class, the trendies, mums with kids, and teens and schoolkids etc. I can’t remember any obvious case of a person looking out of place in all the time I’ve been observing and thinking about this. Of course there is some crossover, but no one gets it catastrophically wrong.

How come?

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2016, 06:05 AM
RE: Cafe culture accuracy
Perhaps it's not them -- maybe it you......

They might not be as homogeneous as you think they are...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
29-07-2016, 07:46 AM
(29-07-2016 04:09 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  ...

How come?

D.

Sheep, comfort zones, target market, etc.

But what happens with a group or a couple who have different affiliations / preferences but want to have a coffee together?

E.g. father and son?

Or in my case, a young, Asian, pretty and extrovert girl and an old, European, ugly and introvert guy?

She will always pick the crowded places and I'll always pick the empty ones (I think you get better service when the staff are not feeling overwhelmed).

Or is that what you meant by "crossover"?

Perhaps café society has changed since I lived in the UK but I remember from my schooldays that there was a bus-station 'greasy spoon' that had a mixed-class clientele of bus drivers, cabbies and posh-ish grammar school children.

Maybe that doesn't happen anymore.

Sadcryface

29-07-2016, 01:25 PM
(29-07-2016 07:46 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(29-07-2016 04:09 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  ...

How come?

D.

Sheep, comfort zones, target market, etc.

But what happens with a group or a couple who have different affiliations / preferences but want to have a coffee together?

E.g. father and son?

Or in my case, a young, Asian, pretty and extrovert girl and an old, European, ugly and introvert guy?

She will always pick the crowded places and I'll always pick the empty ones (I think you get better service when the staff are not feeling overwhelmed).

Or is that what you meant by "crossover"?

Perhaps café society has changed since I lived in the UK but I remember from my schooldays that there was a bus-station 'greasy spoon' that had a mixed-class clientele of bus drivers, cabbies and posh-ish grammar school children.

Maybe that doesn't happen anymore.

Sadcryface

DLJ,

Interesting post, if I get you fully.

Of course there is loads of crossover and drop ins. I remember being in a disco in Greece and having a dance with my 14 year old daughter. Quite a few heavy looks from the local girls on that one. Angel

Its easy to filter out those passing through, when we have seen enough. I wouldn't class those as catastrophes. I'm thinking more of tattoos in Waitrose or a laptop in greasy spoons. Never happens. The school kids do still like greasy spoons.

D.
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
29-07-2016, 01:31 PM
(29-07-2016 04:09 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

Our neighbourhood has many different cafes, and I like to go in them all occasionally. What I have noticed is that ‘birds of a feather flock together’. There are cafes for the laptop and book people, the working Joes, the grey heads, the middle class, the trendies, mums with kids, and teens and schoolkids etc. I can’t remember any obvious case of a person looking out of place in all the time I’ve been observing and thinking about this. Of course there is some crossover, but no one gets it catastrophically wrong.

How come?

D.

Birds of a feather...?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-07-2016, 01:40 PM
(29-07-2016 01:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Birds of a feather...?

Anjele,

Too true. A nice example of this was in the sitcom 'Frasier'. The Dad was totally out of synch with the two brothers and this was reflected in their cafe choices. The irony was in us (the audience) wondering how the hell this was one family?

An enjoyable and sometimes embarrassing series. Smile

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
03-08-2016, 02:59 AM
Starbucks and Costa tend to be full of the MacBook owning hipster types.
03-08-2016, 04:24 PM
(03-08-2016 02:59 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Starbucks and Costa tend to be full of the MacBook owning hipster types.

Lucipurr,

My neighbourhood is festooned with "hipster types". I've never seen so many carefully manicured beards!

Yes, they are are in S and C, but never in greasy spoons and very rarely in Asda/ Walmart.

D.
03-08-2016, 04:48 PM
I go to where the best coffee is. Happily in my area that is virtually every cafe.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-08-2016, 04:51 PM
(29-07-2016 04:09 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

How come?

D.

Huh? and what are you like that you fit into each and everyone of these groups?