Cafe culture accuracy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2016, 06:59 PM
RE: Cafe culture accuracy
(03-08-2016 04:51 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(29-07-2016 04:09 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

Has anyone noticed you that you rarely see a person in the ‘wrong’ cafe?

Our neighbourhood has many different cafes, and I like to go in them all occasionally. What I have noticed is that ‘birds of a feather flock together’. There are cafes for the laptop and book people, the working Joes, the grey heads, the middle class, the trendies, mums with kids, and teens and schoolkids etc. I can’t remember any obvious case of a person looking out of place in all the time I’ve been observing and thinking about this. Of course there is some crossover, but no one gets it catastrophically wrong.

How come?

D.

Huh? and what are you like that you fit into each and everyone of these groups?
Must mean that they're like coffee

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2016, 01:10 AM
(03-08-2016 04:51 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  
(29-07-2016 04:09 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi,

Has anyone noticed you that you rarely see a person in the ‘wrong’ cafe?

Our neighbourhood has many different cafes, and I like to go in them all occasionally. What I have noticed is that ‘birds of a feather flock together’. There are cafes for the laptop and book people, the working Joes, the grey heads, the middle class, the trendies, mums with kids, and teens and schoolkids etc. I can’t remember any obvious case of a person looking out of place in all the time I’ve been observing and thinking about this. Of course there is some crossover, but no one gets it catastrophically wrong.

How come?

D.

Huh? and what are you like that you fit into each and everyone of these groups?

BAP,

That's a good question. I guess (and it can only be a guess at other people's perceptions) - 'An old guy who sits on his own with a notebook'.

Quite often a stranger will chat to me, and I do a lot of listening. There is no discernible pattern with the chats, it can be anybody. I avoid having a regular cafe, and cover a lot of miles on business and leisure trips. Rarely in the same place two days together.

D.
04-08-2016, 05:54 AM
Due to having quite a collection of Starbucks gift cards I stopped at one about a month ago. I would say that 90% of the people there were of Asian background and all were early to mid-twenties. This wouldn't have been something I would have taken much notice of were I not in a town that is known for being primarily Hispanic. I didn't notice any Hispanics there. It was sort of an odd vibe. Had I gone to a nearby restaurant it would have been filled with mostly middle-aged to elderly white people.

It seems funny that the town while primarily Hispanic in heritage has these little spots where the people of other backgrounds congregate and the Hispanics avoid.

That whole 'birds of a feather' thing at work I suppose.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
04-08-2016, 02:01 PM
(04-08-2016 05:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Due to having quite a collection of Starbucks gift cards I stopped at one about a month ago. I would say that 90% of the people there were of Asian background and all were early to mid-twenties. This wouldn't have been something I would have taken much notice of were I not in a town that is known for being primarily Hispanic. I didn't notice any Hispanics there. It was sort of an odd vibe. Had I gone to a nearby restaurant it would have been filled with mostly middle-aged to elderly white people.

It seems funny that the town while primarily Hispanic in heritage has these little spots where the people of other backgrounds congregate and the Hispanics avoid.

Anjele,

Yes, our local Starbbucks is usually "early to mid-twenties". The young teens are mostly in McDonalds, Burger King or Subway. "..middle-aged to elderly white people.." are mostly found in English tea shops or garden centre cafes around here.

We have a Portuguese run cafe in a nearby village which is filled with Portuguese folks speaking that language. I tried to order in my tourist Spanish and got laughed at, but they liked it. Smile

D.
04-08-2016, 02:10 PM
(04-08-2016 02:01 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(04-08-2016 05:54 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Due to having quite a collection of Starbucks gift cards I stopped at one about a month ago. I would say that 90% of the people there were of Asian background and all were early to mid-twenties. This wouldn't have been something I would have taken much notice of were I not in a town that is known for being primarily Hispanic. I didn't notice any Hispanics there. It was sort of an odd vibe. Had I gone to a nearby restaurant it would have been filled with mostly middle-aged to elderly white people.

Anjele,

Yes, our local Starbbucks is usually "early to mid-twenties". The young teens are mostly in McDonalds, Burger King or Subway. "..middle-aged to elderly white people.." are mostly found in English tea shops or garden centre cafes around here.

We have a Portuguese run cafe in a nearby village which is filled with Portuguese folks speaking that language. I tried to order in my tourist Spanish and got laughed at, but they liked it. Smile

D.

I worked with a young man for about a year who was from Brazil. Yeah, Spanish doesn't quite work, does it? One of the other guys we worked with made the comment that Jaime spoke a whole lot more English than he spoke Portuguese. Tongue

Of course Jaimie was the English bastardization of his name.

We worked our way around it as best we could with translations online. He was taking English as a Second Language classes at one of the churches. I worked with him when I could. He and I both had a lot of patience with our language barrier...and he had his first ever Thanksgiving dinner at our house. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
04-08-2016, 02:13 PM
(03-08-2016 04:48 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I go to where the best coffee is. Happily in my area that is virtually every cafe.

Coffee is coffee in my opinion. I just don't see the appeal in all this fancy skinny latte crap that seems to be popular these days. But each to their own.
04-08-2016, 03:10 PM
I'm sure I'd be equally not-at-home in any of them. Harumph.