California Cross coming down

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2013, 01:10 PM
RE: California Cross coming down
(13-12-2013 09:48 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Much of this was from the anti-communism of the cold war. The commies were godless. God was added to the pledge in the mid fifties. ...
The money was in the 1800's (shortly after the civil war if I recall my history correctly).
The coins were but the bills had God insterted in the 50's as well

(13-12-2013 11:26 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I want the infinity one....

http://www.cem.va.gov/hmm/emblems.asp
Why?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-12-2013, 03:38 PM
I hope they don't get rid of memorials and such… they are history and are there to be learned from.
They could simply start making "memorials" which really say something about humanity... like they did when the world was not afraid of being human....

The Liberty Memorial in Kansas City is the location of the national World War I Museum. There is a flame at the top of the tower and an an observation deck up there as well - it's a fantastic view. The buildings on either side house parts of the museum which is also below ground level. It was designed in the classical Egyptian Revival style of architecture. In my opinion, this is one of the most moving memorial constructions I've ever seen.
[Image: Liberty_Memorial_Kansas_City_by_TThealer.jpg]
The Great Frieze by Edmond Amateis - the main inscription reads "These have dared bear the torches of sacrifice and service. Their bodies return to dust but their work liveth evermore. Let us strive on to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations".
[Image: Kansascitylibertymemorialsculpture.jpg]
There are two massive, winged sphinx which flank the tower.
[Image: tumblr_mcqo1vvH691qe7vo3o1_500.jpg]
To me, this is the most solemn and humbling part of this memorial; it is practically an antiwar statement at a war memorial. The sphinx cover their faces with their wings, crying at the shameful destruction humans have brought to themselves. It is exceptionally moving and quite secular. The construction began in 1921 and was completed in 1926.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
13-12-2013, 04:35 PM
I wonder who pays for taking this down? And why not just replace it with something relevant and constitutional instead of taking it down?

Tax money should never endorse (or defame) a religion in any form IMO. Tax money should be be used in a secular manner.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
14-12-2013, 04:00 AM
(13-12-2013 11:26 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I want the infinity one....

http://www.cem.va.gov/hmm/emblems.asp

I like the atheist one but prefer the scarlet letter version.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.