California Governor Signs Assisted Suicide Bill Into Law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2015, 11:20 AM
RE: California Governor Signs Assisted Suicide Bill Into Law
My mom had been on dialysis for decades and was all shriveled up like a prune. She was in the hospital because of a fall and when I called she asked me to come. So I flew to Germany and after seeing her for 10 minutes she informed me that she wanted to die. She had no idea how to accomplish that. Then she was wheeled into dialysis, she went into shock when they disconnected her from the machine. This was painful for her, and I was told it happened every time now.

Talking to some of her nurses after she fell asleep, I found out that they were having to force her to move to an institution as she would not be able to care for herself anymore. This is something she was very scared of. She was 86, helpless and screwed. Moving to the states with me was impossible because the dialysis would have cost $10,000 per week. Neither of us had that kind of money.

Anyway, the nurses told me that mom could refuse dialysis and she would die without it in short order. ( A few days). But, because she was old, she needed to appoint a representative (me) to request the discontinuation of treatment. And she needed to be screened by a mental health doctor to make sure she wasn't demented. And, a judge would have to come to the hospital to review everything and question mom and me and sign her decision off.

So it took a couple of days to get a notary, a psychiatrist and a judge to come to the hospital. We got it taken care of.

Meanwhile, walking in the hospital hall way had become walking the gauntlet for me. Word of what was going on (not a common thing) had spread and the place seemed to be divided down the middle. Some people snubbed me and gave me dirty looks, some came up to me and shook my hands and thanked me.

The following few days were hell for me. Mom mostly slept. She asked me to make sure the priest didn't come in, which I did, and that is when I found out she was atheist. She was fully conscious but unable to talk when she died. Last thing she did was smile at me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
07-10-2015, 11:26 AM
(07-10-2015 04:18 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  In some states pharmacists cannot refuse to dispense emergency contraceptive based on religious and moral objections. The way it worked is these drugs became legal and then soon following laws were passed forcing pharmacists to dispense these drugs. I imagine the same pattern will hold with these suicide drugs.

Are pharmacists competent to reverse a prescription ordered by a doctor? If not, they have no basis for refusing to dispense medications.

(07-10-2015 04:18 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Now It is my position that a pharmacist who is an employee must fulfill their obligations of employment including dispensing emergency contraceptives if they are to have an expectation of keeping their job. However the state shouldn't force an owner/operator pharmacist to dispense such drugs if they have moral or religious objections.

Do you have a California Assembly Bill in mind aiming to do this? Or is this just soapboxing?

I'll take "soapboxing" for a True Daily Double, Alex.

(07-10-2015 04:18 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I truly hope that I am wrong here. I truly hope the majority doesn't force its morality unto the minority. Just because you think suicide pills or emergency contraceptives are moral doesn't allow you to force your morality onto someone else. But sadly, that seems to be happening a lot in our society these days.

You seem to be confusing drugs and morality. No one is forcing anyone to share their morality. They are, however, asking pharmacists to do their jobs.

I don't think laws should force Californian pharmacists to dispense any drugs. I'd be happy to see such moralistic prigs have to flip burgers when their pharmacy goes belly-up.
[+] 6 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
07-10-2015, 11:27 AM
These stories are sad. It seems obvious to me that this is a good law.

But I see why Christians would be crazy over it. They believe people that commit suicide don't go to heaven. It's not like they have malicious intent.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
07-10-2015, 11:35 AM
(07-10-2015 11:27 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  These stories are sad. It seems obvious to me that this is a good law.

But I see why Christians would be crazy over it. They believe people that commit suicide don't go to heaven. It's not like they have malicious intent.

My husband's grandmother spent the last many years of her life declining with Alzheimer's. Finally she was at the end of her life and was in hospice care at home, later moved to the hospital.

Extremely religious, husband's grandfather got to the point that he had to be removed from the hospital as his wails and pleadings with god to take her home were disturbing the other patients.

Seems odd to realize that death would be a relief to the point of praying for it but not enough of a relief to actually facilitate the process. Guess god isn't all that merciful. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-10-2015, 11:40 AM
(07-10-2015 11:20 AM)Dom Wrote:  Last thing she did was smile at me.

Hug

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-10-2015, 11:41 AM
(07-10-2015 11:20 AM)Dom Wrote:  My mom had been on dialysis for decades and was all shriveled up like a prune. She was in the hospital because of a fall and when I called she asked me to come. So I flew to Germany and after seeing her for 10 minutes she informed me that she wanted to die. She had no idea how to accomplish that. Then she was wheeled into dialysis, she went into shock when they disconnected her from the machine. This was painful for her, and I was told it happened every time now.

Talking to some of her nurses after she fell asleep, I found out that they were having to force her to move to an institution as she would not be able to care for herself anymore. This is something she was very scared of. She was 86, helpless and screwed. Moving to the states with me was impossible because the dialysis would have cost $10,000 per week. Neither of us had that kind of money.

Anyway, the nurses told me that mom could refuse dialysis and she would die without it in short order. ( A few days). But, because she was old, she needed to appoint a representative (me) to request the discontinuation of treatment. And she needed to be screened by a mental health doctor to make sure she wasn't demented. And, a judge would have to come to the hospital to review everything and question mom and me and sign her decision off.

So it took a couple of days to get a notary, a psychiatrist and a judge to come to the hospital. We got it taken care of.

Meanwhile, walking in the hospital hall way had become walking the gauntlet for me. Word of what was going on (not a common thing) had spread and the place seemed to be divided down the middle. Some people snubbed me and gave me dirty looks, some came up to me and shook my hands and thanked me.

The following few days were hell for me. Mom mostly slept. She asked me to make sure the priest didn't come in, which I did, and that is when I found out she was atheist. She was fully conscious but unable to talk when she died. Last thing she did was smile at me.

I hope I have the strength to see that through to the end if needed.

Heart Hug

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-10-2015, 11:44 AM
It's that whole God's will thing. In their minds, its up to god not us. We know its crap, but its just how they are. Like I said, I don't see malicious intent in them being against it. It's the same with abortion. I can understand why they're against it. I don't believe they have some conspiracy reason to be against abortion or death with dignity. I think these religious types are just plain old against it. Their problem is they try to legislate their faith.

Reminds me of John Kerry during a town hall when he was running for president. A pregnant woman asked him something about abortion, and how he's supposedly Catholic but approves of abortion. His response was exactly what I'd love to hear from all politicians.

"What I accept as an article of faith, I cannot legislate on people who do not share that article of faith."

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
07-10-2015, 12:25 PM
It seems to me that if a doctor writes a prescription it is a pharmacist's job to fill that prescription. The only time a pharmacist should question an order is when they see a potential adverse drug reaction or if they notice someone 'doctor-shopping', at which point they should contact the physician for clarification.

Note the first vow...

Oath of a Pharmacist

The revised Oath was adopted by the AACP House of Delegates in July 2007 and has been approved by the American Pharmacists Association. AACP member institutions should plan to use the revised Oath of a Pharmacist during the 2008-09 academic year and with spring 2009 graduates.

"I promise to devote myself to a lifetime of service to others through the profession of pharmacy. In fulfilling this vow:

I will consider the welfare of humanity and relief of suffering my primary concerns.
I will apply my knowledge, experience, and skills to the best of my ability to assure optimal outcomes for my patients.
I will respect and protect all personal and health information entrusted to me.
I will accept the lifelong obligation to improve my professional knowledge and competence.
I will hold myself and my colleagues to the highest principles of our profession’s moral, ethical and legal conduct.
I will embrace and advocate changes that improve patient care.
I will utilize my knowledge, skills, experiences, and values to prepare the next generation of pharmacists.
I take these vows voluntarily with the full realization of the responsibility with which I am entrusted by the public.”

07-10-2015, 12:44 PM
(07-10-2015 06:21 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  If this law is modeled after Oregon and Washington, which it probably is, it is VOLUNTARY, not mandatory, that a doctor, health care system, or pharmacy be a part of the death with dignity programs. At least that's what I've heard from my friends that work in the medical field in the northwest.

I hope it stays that way.
07-10-2015, 12:51 PM
I don't. I hope they form specific battalions in the National Guard to enforce all prescriptions at gun point. We can dress them like Nazi storm troopers. Every time someone comes in to get a script filled, the soldier will point a gun at the pharmacist until it's filled. And, I don't want to limit it to controversial medicines. I think we apply this to all of them. That way there is no discrimination.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post