California fires

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2015, 08:57 AM
RE: California fires
(15-09-2015 08:47 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I've heard they are also vulnerable to mustard seed size faith, but I've yet to see that demonstrated... Consider

Apparently nobody has yet met the minimum requirement.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Not to downplay global warming, but another issue is, ironically, the fact that firefighters are getting too good at predicting and fighting these fires. Because they don't have the same opportunities to burn out, so to speak, like they used to, there is a lot more dead, dried, extremely flammable wood scattered around, creating ideal conditions for nasty forest fires.

'Murican Canadian
15-09-2015, 09:30 AM
Sorry to be so sentimental about this but this sign meant so much to me as a kid. When I passed through the sign it was almost like going into a magical place. There were warm springs bubbling up in various places. We had a natural spring next to our house that I drank from.

There was a beautiful outdoor pavilion with Japanese lights strung across it and dances every Saturday evening. Anderson's Springs was just lovely but I just read that every house there burned down.

I'll shut up about this now but before I do......

[Image: newpics01-246.jpg.180x130_default.jpg]

[Image: 2C508A5800000578-0-image-m-40_1442257287241.jpg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-09-2015, 09:31 AM
(15-09-2015 09:30 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Sorry to be so sentimental about this but this sign meant so much to me as a kid. When I passed through the sign it was almost like going into a magical place. There were warm springs bubbling up in various places. We had a natural spring next to our house that I drank from.

There was a beautiful outdoor pavilion with Japanese lights strung across it and dances every Saturday evening. Anderson's Springs was just lovely but I just read that every house there burned down.

I'll shut up about this now but before I do......

[Image: newpics01-246.jpg.180x130_default.jpg]

[Image: 2C508A5800000578-0-image-m-40_1442257287241.jpg]

Hug
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
15-09-2015, 01:09 PM
A couple guys from my old unit in Nevada just left to provide Blackhawk support. Yet another thing to feel nostalgic about today Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post
15-09-2015, 04:37 PM
Wow! Scary! All that smoke must have made it hard to breathe. Did the fires hit so quickly that this person didn't have time to make it out sooner, or did the person just wait too long to get out? The video looks as though the escape could have been cut off at any point.

I saw a map of CA with all the fires in progress marked, and it looked like pretty much the whole state is on fire.

Here in Spokane, WA, for about a week the smoke was so thick it hurt to breathe, but then we had a little rain and a change in wind direction and our air cleared up. It was nasty for a while, and I don't think any of the fires was anywhere near here. I cannot imagine driving through that.

(15-09-2015 08:47 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I've heard [mountains] are also vulnerable to mustard seed size faith, but I've yet to see that demonstrated... Consider

I've never been able to figure out whether the phrase "as much faith as a mustard seed" is supposed to mean that mustard seeds have faith, and if you have as much faith as they do you could move mountains; or whether a "mustard seed" is a measure of quantity of faith, the way a kilogram is a measure of a quantity of weight or mass.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
16-09-2015, 09:23 AM
That video is pretty terrifying. Apart from the obvious (Jesuschristholyfuckinginferno!), the thought of driving down smoke-obscured roads, and not knowing if the road will be open 200 yards later is horrible.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
16-09-2015, 01:38 PM
(15-09-2015 08:21 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-09-2015 08:15 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Where I live in CA is very, very dry. I am also right near a mountain, which scares me if someone decides to be stupid and light a fire/throw cigarette butts.

Mountains are flammable?
Consider

Undecided

We've had so many fires this decade, you'd wonder if someone is doing it on purpose.
16-09-2015, 04:59 PM
(15-09-2015 01:38 AM)Banjo Wrote:  When I was a kid I helped fight a bushfire outside Sale, in Victoria. Bloody scary, the fire leaps from gumtree to gumtree and flies above your head and all of a sudden you're surrounded.

When I was a juvenile delinquent hippie I started a 3-alarm fire in the woods as a protest to a planned new development. Turns out all I did was save the developers a shitload of money in clearing the land. Oh to be young, dumb, and full of cum again.

(16-09-2015 01:38 PM)Lienda Bella Wrote:  We've had so many fires this decade, you'd wonder if someone is doing it on purpose.

! was 3000 miles away. Angel

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
16-09-2015, 05:15 PM
(15-09-2015 12:23 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  One of the many places I lived in when we moved out of the Sierras Nevada Mountains was a little tiny town called Middletown. I went to school there. My father taught school there for several years. So I'm watching the news and lo and behold 400 homes burned to the ground there. They're calling it a city. Ha! It wasn't a city, believe me, it's a town with maybe 5000 people in it...maybe.

We actually lived nearby in a place called Anderson Springs which is maybe two miles away. It was a idyllic almost fairy tale place. Just a wonderful place to spend ones childhood. Well, here it is now.

Fucking global warming!

no no no, NOT global warming, it is god's wrath...god hates homosexuals, and that is why california burns Big Grin

Yeah it is really sad...all those homes lost, acres burned, animals killed...just sickening.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)