Californians fear radiation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2011, 05:57 PM

Californians fear radiation
Since I live close to the coast it's natural our news network will squeeze every last fear tactic to gain viewers.

Your views? Will California experience radiation if the nuclear reactors blow, or are the people here running around in circles for nothing like idiots?
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2011, 06:06 PM

RE: Californians fear radiation
They are running around in circles for nothing like idiots. Rachel Maddow actually had to re-assure her viewers that the stuff in Japan posed no threat to the United States.
17-03-2011, 06:08 PM
(17-03-2011 05:57 PM)Diclonius Wrote:  Your views? Will California experience radiation if the nuclear reactors blow, or are the people here running around in circles for nothing like idiots?

I don't think those options are mutually exclusive. If they can't contain the radiation in Japan and it gets into the atmosphere it may very well make it's way to California. It will also probably get dispersed, not be nearly as harmful, and, even if is, you can't do a whole bunch about radiation so why worry about it?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2011, 07:26 PM

It's something like 5400 miles between Tokyo Japan and Los Angeles California. So, one never really knows with trade winds, etc...
I've never been so happy to live on the Mid-Atlantic coast. Confused

REAL TIME SATELLITE TRACKING
18-03-2011, 03:40 AM
There is no way that any radiation would reach California. It has a whole ocean to cross, and the reactors are already shut down, so in case of the worst possible scenario they still won't produce so much radioactivity to reach California. The disaster in Chernobyl was far worse than anything that can happen in Japan, and not even that radioactivity didn't travel that far, 5400 miles... So all the Americans that are buying and eating salt or iodine are just spending money and putting something in their body that is not necessary. Don't worry, you are safe.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
18-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I don't think the radiation in Japan is as bad as Chernobyl ...

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
18-03-2011, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 18-03-2011 05:38 PM by Glaucus.)
You don't have anything to worry about. We've been talking about this in my environmental engineering class, and while there may be a very small increase in radiation levels if things go poorly in Japan, they will hardly be noticeable due to the large distance it would have to travel. "The solution to pollution is dilution" -Environmental Science adage

The trouble is, that people get very jumpy about nuclear energy. Images of the cold war, chernobyl, and three mile island (which was a problem that was averted) come to mind whenever someone mentions nuclear energy. It's an easy way for politicians to get votes and for news companies to make money. While radiation (In high doses) is a health risk, you get 18 times more radiation exposure from living downwind from a coal power plant than a nuclear one, and ~3 times more radiation from sleeping next to someone than you get from living downwind from a nuclear plant.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Don't worry about Japan. Worry about the Texas School Board. The bullshit radiating out from there is affecting and endangering your way of life as we speak.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
20-03-2011, 10:54 AM
Here is an interesting article on the situation:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn20...nobyl.html

However I would worry if I lived in the west coast of the US. There are some nuclear power plants there, and there is a chance that the same will happen.

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
20-03-2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.xkcd.com/radiation/

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink