Call Center work and stress.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2012, 12:28 AM
RE: Call Center work and stress.
(20-11-2012 08:33 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(20-11-2012 08:31 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I spent 4 years selling insurance in a call center. It was mostly a nightmare. I was always applying for other positions in the company.

Mmmmm, insurance call centers. That's soul-sucking-squared.

A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing, always be closing.
This is what my wife does currently, and she enjoys it. She says "Where else can I paint my nails and watch movies at work?" If she's happy, I'm happy. She has worked in three or four call centers before, but the current one for insurance is the one she has enjoyed the most I think.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2012, 12:36 AM
(21-11-2012 12:28 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(20-11-2012 08:33 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  Mmmmm, insurance call centers. That's soul-sucking-squared.

A-B-C. A-Always, B-Be, C-Closing. Always be closing, always be closing.
This is what my wife does currently, and she enjoys it. She says "Where else can I paint my nails and watch movies at work?" If she's happy, I'm happy. She has worked in three or four call centers before, but the current one for insurance is the one she has enjoyed the most I think.
I shouldn't have said I completely hated it. There was a good run there where I was making beaucoup bucks...as in more money than I've ever made in a year. So I came to love it for a while. But then inbound calls started to dry up with the Recession beginning, rules on the phones changed from taking inbound calls to being required to dial for outbound calls...Can you imagine picking up the phone and someone asking you, "Hey, how'd you like to get a quote for insurance right this second?" Needless to say, it didn't bode well for me and I finally planned my extrication from that place. But I do miss the people as well as the money. I don't miss being micro-managed about every little piddly thing.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
21-11-2012, 12:48 AM
She has had a much different experience than you had. For one, she doesn't make beaucoup bucks. She makes a about as much as you'd expect a low level supervisor to make at a walmart deli or something like that. She does make some outbound calls, but I get the impression she doesn't have to make an excessive amount of them, mostly inbound. She isn't an actual agent though, she just transfers people where they need to go and asks them basic information questions. Still, I am hoping I will make enough money in five years where she can be a stay at home wife again if she wants too.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
21-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Back in the UK, I used to be a Portfolio Manager for Call Centres / IT Help Desks / Service Desks. Around 400 people.

The monitoring we did was not about spying on the staff, it was about meeting SLAs (Service Level Agreements). Budgets / pricing / penalties were set using indicators like: abandoned call rate, first call resolution and average call duration.

So it was all about the customer experience and not staff productivity.

If you work in a 'selling' call centre, I guess it's different, I dunno.

For us, we figured the following staff retention / burn-out rates:
Call Centre staff survived about 8-12 months
IT Help Desk staff survived about 18 months - 2 years
Service Desk staff survived perhaps 5 years or more.

We used to have a break-out room where stressed staff could go to scream, lie down quietly for a while or punch bubble-wrap.

I have since done training for e.g. Intel in Penang (Malaysia) and they have the same thing.

Anyone who made it to 5 years would probably have been promoted to Team Leader or Manager.

We would support these mega-stars by giving them training in Service Management (ITIL).
5 years of knowledge is valuable and worth retaining. Extra time off, shorter hours, bonuses... we would find a way to reward if the business was doing ok.

I think, if you have a good track record, you could ask the company to sponsor Management training to help you win promotion.

This probably does not apply in your case but I used to have many bipolar symptoms. They subsided when I gave up foods containing wheat / gluten.

21-11-2012, 06:36 AM
I don't get it. Why even mention the hubby? Makes it seem like there's more to the resentment than just the job... Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2012, 10:39 AM
(21-11-2012 06:36 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't get it. Why even mention the hubby? Makes it seem like there's more to the resentment than just the job... Consider
I'm guessing that your perception is spot-on. I think he was mentioned because, either consciously or sub-consciously, the OP is resentful of having a partner that doesn't contribute to the family's finances, which in turn results in her feeling trapped - if hubby worked, she would be much more able to leave her current work-trap even if it meant to a lower paying job.

I don't know if she buys into the idea that bipolar means he's unable to work, in which case she surely resents the bad misfortune, or if she thinks bipolar does not prevent him from working, in which case she resents his laziness and willingness to avoid working with only a lame and unrealistic excuse, but I'm betting it's one of those two, even if she hasn't really admitted it to herself yet.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
21-11-2012, 11:48 AM
(20-11-2012 09:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-11-2012 06:42 PM)Sistanis Wrote:  Where I live there is not much work to choose from and my hubby cannot work because he has bi-polar disorder.

Why's that? I've been manic depressive my entire adult life, some 35 years now, doesn't keep me from working. Is he that bad off or doesn't he take to the meds?

He
does take meds, the issue is he is limited in the type of work he can
do, and there is not alot of choices where we live. He was working in
the call center as well but he couldn't take it and was starting to get
hallucinations. He couldn't function. He's looking for less stressful
work but has not had any luck finding any.
21-11-2012, 11:52 AM
(20-11-2012 11:49 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(20-11-2012 09:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why's that? I've been manic depressive my entire adult life, some 35 years now, doesn't keep me from working. Is he that bad off or doesn't he take to the meds?
Yeah, I think hubby should be contributing. So he's bipolar? He's surviving at your expense.
Ok perhaps I should explain this. He is not mooching off me. He does all the housework, cleaning and cooking. He is looking for work but choices are limited and we live in an area where jobs are hard to come by. He is trying to find work, keeping the house clean, and trying to keep me happy at home as much as he can to counter act the stress at work. All this while dealing with his own mental illness. If I didn't have him, doubt I would be here right now.
21-11-2012, 12:00 PM
(21-11-2012 10:39 AM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(21-11-2012 06:36 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I don't get it. Why even mention the hubby? Makes it seem like there's more to the resentment than just the job... Consider
I'm guessing that your perception is spot-on. I think he was mentioned because, either consciously or sub-consciously, the OP is resentful of having a partner that doesn't contribute to the family's finances, which in turn results in her feeling trapped - if hubby worked, she would be much more able to leave her current work-trap even if it meant to a lower paying job.

I don't know if she buys into the idea that bipolar means he's unable to work, in which case she surely resents the bad misfortune, or if she thinks bipolar does not prevent him from working, in which case she resents his laziness and willingness to avoid working with only a lame and unrealistic excuse, but I'm betting it's one of those two, even if she hasn't really admitted it to herself yet.
I really never should have mentioned my Hubby. Yes if he was working it would be less of a trap. I only mentioned him so I wouldn't get the "Just quit your job" response I always seem to hear. I wanted to show that it's not that easy. I do not resent him at all nor is he lazy. And he is trying to find a job, but has not had luck.

And I work in an IT call center not a selling one. And it's all the damn micro managing that is driving me crazy. Was just looking for some ways to cope with stress at work, again never should have mentioned him. I did not want this thread to be about him, as people tend to jump to the conclusion that he's a lazy moocher.
21-11-2012, 12:07 PM
That's good to hear. I mostly retract what I said, though I might still maintain that very little we do is accidental, and mentioning your husband may still have been you subconscious trying to vent, even if your only frustration is that his situation, while unavoidable and not his fault, still puts frustration and pressure on you. it's now clear that you don't resent him or blame him, but I submit that you still resent the fact that his condition creates more stress for you.

The fact that you feel that way (if you do) is perfectly fair, and I'm not attacking you.

I have RA and that limits much of what I can do usefully around the house (thankfully, my cushy cubicle job is unaffected so I can still earn an income; life would really be impossible if I were a manual laborer - I would be on forced disability if that were the case). My wife resented my disease immensely, however, since it put more workload on her to handle some things that I should have been handling, or at least should have been sharing, around the house - she wasn't trapped at work, but she was trapped at home to an extent. I didn't blame her and she didn't blame me; we both blamed my unavoidable medical condition and she definitely resented the fact that I had it.

I suspect that you might feel much the same way that she did.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein