Call Center work and stress.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2012, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2012 12:25 PM by ddrew.)
RE: Call Center work and stress.
(21-11-2012 11:52 AM)Sistanis Wrote:  Ok perhaps I should explain this. He is not mooching off me. He does all the housework, cleaning and cooking. He is looking for work but choices are limited and we live in an area where jobs are hard to come by. He is trying to find work, keeping the house clean, and trying to keep me happy at home as much as he can to counter act the stress at work. All this while dealing with his own mental illness. If I didn't have him, doubt I would be here right now.

Well Sistanis..... If I were drunk right now I'd say go get a bottle of vodka and deal.

However ya caught me at a good time.... (sober) Thumbsup

While I have never worked in a call center myself... I can relate to the depression caused by work environments. Personally if I ever were in a call center I'd be fired within the first day or two.. (from telling stupid people on the phone exactly what I thought of them).
My problems came from having a great job that I enjoyed. The depression came from losing that job. Trying to find a solution to my problems were never found at the bottom of an empty bottle. I found myself in a very dark place within my own mind. Thoughts of suicide, feeling hateful of the world and it's people, placing blame everywhere else but where the blame rightfully belonged. Had to endure a year of being cut off from the world in a self volunteered institution to stay away from the bottle... to break the depression.

Been a whole year since I've left that place... I'm back to work in the field that I enjoy. While I'm back to my dreadful drinking habits... the depression is gone. I'm happy. I'm working.

I strongly urge you to seek professional therapy. Because you are right in thinking that the walls will come crumbling down should you lose or quit your current job. It sucks. I know it. But you can get through it. Make the smart choice... somthing I should have done 3 years ago.

Thumbsup

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
21-11-2012, 12:22 PM
(21-11-2012 12:07 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  That's good to hear. I mostly retract what I said, though I might still maintain that very little we do is accidental, and mentioning your husband may still have been you subconscious trying to vent, even if your only frustration is that his situation, while unavoidable and not his fault, still puts frustration and pressure on you. it's now clear that you don't resent him or blame him, but I submit that you still resent the fact that his condition creates more stress for you.

The fact that you feel that way (if you do) is perfectly fair, and I'm not attacking you.

I have RA and that limits much of what I can do usefully around the house (thankfully, my cushy cubicle job is unaffected so I can still earn an income; life would really be impossible if I were a manual laborer - I would be on forced disability if that were the case). My wife resented my disease immensely, however, since it put more workload on her to handle some things that I should have been handling, or at least should have been sharing, around the house - she wasn't trapped at work, but she was trapped at home to an extent. I didn't blame her and she didn't blame me; we both blamed my unavoidable medical condition and she definitely resented the fact that I had it.

I suspect that you might feel much the same way that she did.
That is exactly how I feel. I do not resent him, but I resent the situation. I resent the whole situation. The fact that any jobs at all are hard to come by here, If I had the money I'd move to a place with more choice, but we don't have the money to move...this is the trapped feeling.

It's true when you first mentioned friends at work. I realized I really don't have any. They are all just acquaintances. I know it doesn't help that I am probably more sensitive than most people. I wish I could just go to work and not care as much as I do, because I think I care about the job too much. I have tried to turn that off but I am not successful, I guess it's just who I am.

So I am going to concentrate on making my time away from work the best possible to hopefully outweigh the work stress.

Just being able to write it down and vent here on the forum was therapeutic.
21-11-2012, 12:27 PM
(21-11-2012 12:16 PM)ddrew Wrote:  
(21-11-2012 11:52 AM)Sistanis Wrote:  Ok perhaps I should explain this. He is not mooching off me. He does all the housework, cleaning and cooking. He is looking for work but choices are limited and we live in an area where jobs are hard to come by. He is trying to find work, keeping the house clean, and trying to keep me happy at home as much as he can to counter act the stress at work. All this while dealing with his own mental illness. If I didn't have him, doubt I would be here right now.

Well Sistanis..... If I were drunk right now I'd say go get a bottle of vodka and deal.

However ya caught me at a good time.... (sober) Thumbsup

While I have never worked in a call center myself... I can relate to the depression caused by work environments. Personally if I ever were in a call center I'd be fired within the first day or two.. (from telling stupid people on the phone exactly what I thought of them).
My problems came from having a great job that I enjoyed. The depression came from losing that job. Trying to find a solution to my problems were never found at the bottom of an empty bottle. I found myself in a very dark place within my own mind. Thoughts of suicide, feeling hateful of the world and it's people, placing blame everywhere else but where the blame rightfully belonged. Had to endure a year of being cut off from the world in a self volunteered institution to stay away from the bottle... to break the depression.

Been a whole year since I've left that place... I'm back to work in the field that I enjoy. While I'm back to my dreadful drinking habits... the depression is gone. I'm happy. I'm working.

I strongly urge you to seek professional theropy. Because you are right in thinking that the walls will come crumbling down should you lose or quit your current job. It sucks. I know it. But you can get through it. Make the smart choice... somthing I should have done 3 years ago.

Thumbsup
Thanks for this. I have made an appointment to see a professional. And I am trying to stay positive as much as possible.
21-11-2012, 03:04 PM
(21-11-2012 11:48 AM)Sistanis Wrote:  
(20-11-2012 09:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why's that? I've been manic depressive my entire adult life, some 35 years now, doesn't keep me from working. Is he that bad off or doesn't he take to the meds?

He does take meds, the issue is he is limited in the type of work he can do, and there is not alot of choices where we live. He was working in the call center as well but he couldn't take it and was starting to get hallucinations. He couldn't function. He's looking for less stressful work but has not had any luck finding any.

If I came across as insensitive, that was not my intent. Yes, a call center is not a good fit for a manic depressive, but computer programming is pretty much tailor made for one. And you don't need a Computer Science degree to be a programmer anymore. Developing for an Android phone or tablet, for example, nowadays is pretty much Google ('cause someone else has probably already done something close to what you need and has made it freely available, yes programmers tend to be commies), cut/paste into Eclipse, and modify as needed.

Good luck to you and hubby. And manic depression, while a frustrating mess, can be manipulated and maneuvered to one's advantage. I know. I've done it.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.