Call of Cthulhu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-04-2014, 12:56 PM
Call of Cthulhu

Or for the written version

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lov...thulhu.htm

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-04-2014, 01:05 PM
RE: Call of Cthulhu
(07-04-2014 12:56 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

Or for the written version

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lov...thulhu.htm

Rev....I love you. this is awesome.

Here's the thing, were any of this true, Christian apologetics would not exist. One does not have to bend in multiple ways to defend electricity or aerodynamics. - Banjo

god's love is unconditional on the condition you do every thing he says. - Betty Bowers
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Still trying to get round to reading some Lovecraft.

Many people recommend him to me after saying I love Poe.

Something inside me tells me I will be disappointed, that's why I'm still hesitating.

Many verses are like silver threads
tied on the chimes of the stars-
if you pull them,
a silver peal makes the horizon vibrate.
07-04-2014, 01:13 PM
(07-04-2014 01:07 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Still trying to get round to reading some Lovecraft.

Something inside me tells me I will be disappointed, that's why I'm still hesitating.

I fully endorse reading Lovecraft.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-04-2014, 01:14 PM
(07-04-2014 01:07 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Still trying to get round to reading some Lovecraft.

Some if it is a bit weak yes, The thing on the Doorstep, being one even Lovecraft said stunk for example.

The Rats in the Wall is by far my favorite though.

Here's the thing, were any of this true, Christian apologetics would not exist. One does not have to bend in multiple ways to defend electricity or aerodynamics. - Banjo

god's love is unconditional on the condition you do every thing he says. - Betty Bowers
07-04-2014, 01:17 PM
(07-04-2014 01:14 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  

Some if it is a bit weak yes, The thing on the Doorstep, being one even Lovecraft said stunk for example.

Well, every writer has his bad moments.

The problem is, I expect something like Poe. After having read everything by him, I feel I need my dose of some good horror and I can't find it anywhere Sad

I just hope it will be as bone-chilling, creepy and sick as Poe.

If it's not, I hope I will find something else in him to like.

if you pull them,
07-04-2014, 01:21 PM
(07-04-2014 01:17 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 01:14 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  Some if it is a bit weak yes, The thing on the Doorstep, being one even Lovecraft said stunk for example.

Well, every writer has his bad moments.

The problem is, I expect something like Poe. After having read everything by him, I feel I need my dose of some good horror and I can't find it anywhere Sad

Lovecraft is not Poe. But he is well worth reading on his own right. If you go in wanting him to be Poe you will probably be disappointed.

07-04-2014, 01:24 PM
(07-04-2014 01:21 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 01:17 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  Well, every writer has his bad moments.

Lovecraft is not Poe. But he is well worth reading on his own right. If you go in wanting him to be Poe you will probably be disappointed.

That's what I figured. But no, to be honest, I don't want something like Poe, I want something as good as Poe, even if it's a different style.

if you pull them,
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
07-04-2014, 01:28 PM
(07-04-2014 01:24 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 01:21 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Lovecraft is not Poe. But he is well worth reading on his own right. If you go in wanting him to be Poe you will probably be disappointed.

That's what I figured. But no, to be honest, I don't want something like Poe, I want something as good as Poe, even if it's a different style.

Lovecraft is unique, his cosmic horror stories have always fascinated me, and he was quite influential to many later writers. He even influenced D&D as is shown by the far-realm and has a direct shout-out in the Original Ravenloft Red Box.

The whole crypt from the Mountains of Madness is in the setting.

07-04-2014, 01:32 PM
(07-04-2014 01:28 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  
(07-04-2014 01:24 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  That's what I figured. But no, to be honest, I don't want something like Poe, I want something as good as Poe, even if it's a different style.

Lovecraft is unique, his cosmic horror stories have always fascinated me, and he was quite influential to many later writers. He even influenced D&D as is shown by the far-realm and has a direct shout-out in the Original Ravenloft Red Box.

The whole crypt from the Mountains of Madness is in the setting.

Well there is an actual Call of Cthulhu tabletop game as well.