Call of Cthulhu

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2014, 02:03 AM
RE: Call of Cthulhu
(14-04-2014 01:55 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  4. I like the idea of discovering that gods, or monster, or aliens exist. And are interacting with us in some way.

I love the hell out of Lovecraft, but to be honest, this is something that actually bugs me about his stories. He sets up this epic concept of a world and creatures that are beyond space and time, but then he makes them something tangible. Like in "The Dunwich Horror." It started as this awesome, unfathomable concept that was terrifying to think about, but then he turned it into a monster who can break trees and eat cows. I mean, the concept of that itself seemed ahead of its time, but tangible monsters are less scary to me than those that are left implied in a world beyond our reach. (Plus, then he rubs salt in the wound by giving the monsters tentacles. Octopodes are just cheesy)

A good example of lovecraftian terror by way of implication is SCP-028. We don't find out what makes victims react so drastically. It isn't made tangible. Instead, it's left implied and that is what makes it so fucking scary. I just wish Lovecraft had done that more often than he did.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-09-2014, 07:53 AM
(13-09-2014 02:03 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(14-04-2014 01:55 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  4. I like the idea of discovering that gods, or monster, or aliens exist. And are interacting with us in some way.

I love the hell out of Lovecraft, but to be honest, this is something that actually bugs me about his stories. He sets up this epic concept of a world and creatures that are beyond space and time, but then he makes them something tangible. Like in "The Dunwich Horror." It started as this awesome, unfathomable concept that was terrifying to think about, but then he turned it into a monster who can break trees and eat cows. I mean, the concept of that itself seemed ahead of its time, but tangible monsters are less scary to me than those that are left implied in a world beyond our reach. (Plus, then he rubs salt in the wound by giving the monsters tentacles. Octopodes are just cheesy)

A good example of lovecraftian terror by way of implication is SCP-028. We don't find out what makes victims react so drastically. It isn't made tangible. Instead, it's left implied and that is what makes it so fucking scary. I just wish Lovecraft had done that more often than he did.

You like SCP? You sir have earned my respect.

[Image: get_some_by_addmedia-d78ip4k.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
13-09-2014, 08:30 AM
(29-06-2014 01:59 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(29-06-2014 12:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Not surprising Lovecraftian imagery is rife in Kaiju.

Also monster number 7 looks like one of the monsters from disney's Hercules.

The titans! I <3 that movie. Big Grin

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
13-09-2014, 12:07 PM
(13-09-2014 08:30 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(29-06-2014 01:59 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Also monster number 7 looks like one of the monsters from disney's Hercules.

The titans! I <3 that movie. Big Grin

It was good, but which one was it again?Consider

[Image: get_some_by_addmedia-d78ip4k.gif] All request for metazoa info and my larger projects should be sent PM
25-10-2014, 04:58 PM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
27-10-2014, 11:46 AM
(25-10-2014 04:58 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

I saw the new annotated Lovecraft that they mention (in the article) last time I was in the bookstore, and was tempted to buy it -- but didn't. I already have just about everything he wrote, including the Arkham House hardcovers and Joshi's annotated Penguin editions. Do I really need another repackaging of the same stuff? No. But it would be a great buy for someone who doesn't already have it all.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
31-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Lovecraftian Kinkade Pictures + Christopher Walken reads the Raven

Lovecraft E-zine is a wonderful monthly publication that has a lot of weird and macabre stories and extras.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense