Calling all Ex-catholics!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2013, 10:12 PM
Calling all Ex-catholics!
I want to hear some of your stories, about how you turned to Atheism and how it went with family and friends, and how you feel about your choices today!! Smile
I personally love rediculing the priest at my school's friday mass services Thumbsup i find it liberating!!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bjorn's post
13-06-2013, 12:38 AM
RE: Calling all Ex-catholics!
(12-06-2013 10:12 PM)Bjorn Wrote:  I want to hear some of your stories, about how you turned to Atheism and how it went with family and friends, and how you feel about your choices today!! Smile
I personally love rediculing the priest at my school's friday mass services Thumbsup i find it liberating!!

Well, like all good Catholic boys(at least not the ones taken by the priests) I simply followed like the rest of the herd and didn't question it. In my mind it truly was similar to Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. Hell, I didn't really believe a man died and came back. I only believed that in the video games I was playing. To me it was normal and it wasn't until I went to Sunday school I started having issues.

Eventually I was forced to read the bible again which was unfortunate for them and which I did before but none of the information really sunk in. I started loving science from this tine as well wondering how the world worked. From our bodies to our minds. I was fascinated at all this knowledge and literally soaked it in like a sponge. History also had a place in my mind and it was like my bible. I thought it was the best story ever in existence with multiple writers being those that influenced history.

Then, 9/11 happened. I was shocked. We were in our classroom my teacher had a small television where our entire class watched it speechless. I felt sick and horrible and unfortunately for a small girl. She asked the teacher if she shouldn't pass cupcakes for her birthday that day. I was amazed.

The world I created in my head was this one of peace and searching for better things for all mankind while having this Jesus person say it was all alright but in my mind that tragedy broke it for me. I couldn't understand how God could just watch as this happened or could wrap it around my head with why people did so.

Then I realized God was the excuse and hatred for us was the reason. It uprooted those beliefs and made them not exist. I started to try and figure out why it happened and it wasn't until I suffered from depression and God didn't help me no matter how much I prayed that he does not answer. I didn't think the term atheist existed but I knew he wasn't there. He didn't answer anybody there was just lucky people. People claimed it was a miracle when a baby survived when forty people died of an explosion. I called that a tragedy that many people died and only one survived. I began to question and think and my religious people never gave me gratifying answers.

I eventually asked why do we believe in him and think he is good when he doesn't do anything for us. They replied ti me that he does but this was also part of a time when my aunt, uncle and five year old cousin were murdered because their neighbors thought they were witches and did it for God. It blew my mind.(This was in Mexico where superstition is still large) I just couldn't understand why God could be such an excuse for evil things. Eventually I started to encounter people who simply believed because they wanted to. As I continued to read the bible so I could pass I started to realize that it wasn't based on facts or evidence and I didn't understand why we thought it was real. I met other faiths like Hindu's and Muslims and my thought was we all believes in the same God but we just do different things to please it and we will all go to heaven. Eventually as I experienced more things I still held the belief of God but he kept getting smaller. Science explained this and explained that. God was just there and then I realized God was in conflict with science and I was more confused then ever since I thought God uses science to make the world great instead he did it in six days and just made things up when he went along. To me that finally broke the Catholic deity for me. I just couldn't think it was anything more than an adults Santa Claus and I seriously thought they were going to tell me it was fake and it was just a feel good story but it never came.

I didn't became an atheist and still wanted to believe in a God where I even made my own up but realized as I kept looking more and more into religion to look for answers it only got more fragmented and disorganized as it went along. It just eventually tired me out and got me thinking.

It wasn't for a while until I realized you can believe in no God. I was surprised such a stance existed. So instead I decided to see if that was valid or if I could agree and I did. I realized I was an atheist but I didn't accept it at first and tried to justify God but I couldn't anymore. So I made a deal to myself. Just look into the evidence until something finally persuades you to the right God. At least now you take no sides and you can find the truth. I have never found that truth till this day and I look constantly to find it. I have no problem in believing in a God. Absolutely none but I would want to believe in the one that does exist. Currently, none come remotely close. So I stand here now as a former Catholic. I talk sometimes with my old priests and have at least made it more progressive on its thoughts on Gay marriage. Abortion is much harder but the priest even agrees at least on my former front. I haven't come out to my parents about my Atheism but my farther definitely knows I enjoy science and might at least be skeptical but I am glad he didn't force it upon me. I saw kids much younger then me go through confirmation and not understand anything. I at least learned while I was there. I confirmed myself for my parents but will renounce it when I become older. I feel no need to tell many people besides those who interfere in others personal lives.

Sorry about the ramblings. I probably have left a wall of text since I used my phone but I never shared my frustrations and theists might say you were angry with God because of your losses and that God isn't a vending machine for people. I understand those arguments but when the deity you are taught to adore is supposedly all good. I can't imagine what kind of wicked thing could allow so much wrong in this world and I know humans are sometimes the cause of the horror but when you do it in the name of God and he does nothing. Then it seems to me God agrees with that plan. Despite how many people it might harm.

Sorry for any misspelings. I am just exhausted but can't sleep. I apoligize if I am in a grumpy mood.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
[+] 4 users Like ShirubaDangan's post
13-06-2013, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 07:38 AM by Enlightened Romantic.)
While I came from a Catholic family, I'm not sure if I'm ex-Catholic.

I'm pretty sure, if they ever find a certain gene that predisposes one to religion, I won't have it. I remember sitting in church very young (actually, going to church is my first memory) and thinking the equivalent of "How can people believe this?" However, I went along with it, as I do to this day, because my family is VERY devout (except for 2 of my uncles which we ostracize, but I talk to in private) and professing unbelief would be familial suicide.

Over the course of my senior year and high school and this past year as a freshman in college I have read probably 100 books on this and related subjects (history of church, philosophy, science - cosmology and evolution, etc.). I am an agnostic atheist and as active as I can possibly be without my parents catching wind.

My mother was a Sunday school teacher up through my confirmation (for which I picked the name "Christopher" in honor of Christopher Hitchens Thumbsup ). She's a more embracing Catholic, who doesn't really care or pay attention to science, but believes in evolution and largely prescribes to the watchmaker argument, but wouldn't know what that is if you brought it up. She holds a lens to the church, accepting the pope and all of his teachings (anti-gay, pro life, anti-birth control [she actually says that she god cancer because God punished her for using birth control]) but pisses away things like the criminal sex scandal as either lies or a few fringe priests.

My father, however, is the Catholic equivalent of a "born again". He came to the church after being non-religious for a long time because of my mom's disease (she's fine now, btw), and now is ultra-conservative - anti-evolution, anti-global warming (which, he says when we argue, he has theological, not scientific, objections to Bangin ) etc. He is a total sheep, claims science is a global conspiracy of liberals, and nearly disowned me for writing a 16 page detailed research report against the boy scouts' ban of gays (I'm an eagle scout).

I say this to explain that I could never come out and expect acceptance. Moreover, if they knew that I got into a secular humanist organization at school (I go to WVU and am in the Freethinking, Inquiring, Secular Humanists [FISH - our ex-president is speaking at the SSA conference this year Big Grin]) my younger sister would probably face consequences when she is choosing a school - especially because she wants to go for writing and, thus, is looking at more liberal universities.

I am writing this mostly to express that the Catholic Church is not just a bunch of looneys, but actually hurts a lot of people too - and this number isn't only measurable by the DEATHS it causes in supporting witch-hunting, anti-condom, and anti-rights groups. The Catholic Church is EVIL; I am absolutely convinced. It is just as, if not more evil than the Westboro Baptists, the FLDS church, and the Manson Family.
[+] 4 users Like Enlightened Romantic's post
13-06-2013, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 02:30 PM by Anjele.)
Ex-Catholic here.

Was 'raised' Catholic 'cause that's what you do'. Dad and generations back were Catholic. Was put through all the paces, even Catholic schools from 6th grade on. Really didn't discuss religion at all with either parent. Was just herded along through the steps...baptism, communion, confirmation....blah, blah.

The Bible didn't ever really seem to be all that important and I don't remember any reading directed study in it. I never really believed it though I thought I was supposed to. Was actually surprised in late years to learn that there are people that buy into it totally...I was shocked.

The whole thing was full of hypocrisy and it felt like a bunch of robots just plodding along with all the ceremony and supposed rules.

Pretty much crap.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
16-07-2013, 10:40 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but...

I was raised Catholic...baptism, mass every week, mass every holiday/holy day, Sunday school, communion, confirmation, the works. I started questioning it all in 1st Grade, but my mother tried to smooth things over and squelch my protests. My father was a non-practicing Methodist and I thought that sounded pretty sweet, but he left it up to my mother...so she rammed religion down our throats and said that as long as we lived under her roof, we had to be practicing Catholics. Then I turned 18 and my father said if I didn't want to go to church anymore, I didn't have to...best Dad ever!

I called myself an agnostic for many years. I still went to church on Christmas Eve with all my cousins, though we'd just load up on sugar and caffeine (and alcohol when were old enough). I still pretended to go to Church when my grandparents asked...it was just easier not to upset them and cause a fight.

As the years passed I became more and more anti-religion, especially when religion impacted legislation and public schools (two sore spots for me). I also became more and more outspoken about it. Even though I' had been calling myself an agnostic, I was clearly an atheist and after a while when friends and family would ask me, I didn't see a point in sugarcoating it for them anymore, especially after my grandparents passed away.

Although I don't usually post/share many atheist things on my Facebook page, I do "like" a lot of things on other pages and friends/family notice it. Occasionally someone will say something to my mother siblings, usually "She really hates religion, huh?" or "Why does she have to like atheist stuff?". My sister has recently become more of a deist/agnostic. And my brother, while he also leans towards deist/agnostic, he has to pretend to be a believer because of his wife. And ironically...my mother, who tried to cram religion down our throats for 18 years, has also become a deist/agnostic over the last few years.

I have no regrets about becoming an atheist.

‹« In Science I Trust »›
[+] 2 users Like jinun's post
16-07-2013, 10:52 PM
Technically I'm still catholic since I've not been excommunicated. I didn't mind being catholic with the zombie stuff (eating flesh and drinking blood) the calisthenics (standing, sitting kneeling) the rituals...

The ritual repeating rote responses.

Being catholic was kinda fun. I miss Bingo.

I miss the fun stuff and not the trappings and belief and all that crap.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-07-2013, 02:31 AM
You can find mine here.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
17-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Never was much of a believer, but since everybody was telling me about Jesus, he must be real, right? Well, wrong, stupid! After I learned the basic things like some of those that we can find in Zeitgeist, that there is no historical evidence for any Jesus guy, that everything was changed in the Bible how one person needed it... It was very easy to realize that they have all been lying to me, my whole life.

It was after I finished my high-school. It wasn't a real deconversion, because I was never a big believer in the first place. It was always more a tradition, than belief for me. Something that is normal, because everyone does it.

Boring.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
17-07-2013, 08:06 AM
(16-07-2013 10:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Technically I'm still catholic since I've not been excommunicated. I didn't mind being catholic with the zombie stuff (eating flesh and drinking blood) the calisthenics (standing, sitting kneeling) the rituals...

The ritual repeating rote responses.

Being catholic was kinda fun. I miss Bingo.

I miss the fun stuff and not the trappings and belief and all that crap.

You can still go to Bingo. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user