Calling all UK Critical Thinkers! Please consider signing my petition!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 07:40 AM by TheLogicalAthiest.)
Calling all UK Critical Thinkers! Please consider signing my petition!
I applied for a petition to the UK government for them to compulsory lesson in critical thinking to be taught to students in all UK secondary schools.

For all those who don't know. Critical thinking is not compulsory education. I took it as for my AS Level when I was 17, however I was only 1 of about 30 people who took it from a year group of 150. Most colleges don't even offer it as a lesson.

We should all know how important critical thinking is, with the vast majority of us here being atheists and sceptics.

To sign the petition you have to be a UK citizen unfortunately. The petition asks for critical thinking to be taught in all UK secondary schools so everyone will get to learn it, unlike further education which is not compulsory.

You can read the petition, there is a small description of what critical thinking is, and the petitions aims etc.

Please tell me if the petition has any major errors, this is the first petition I have ever wrote.

I intend to spam Facebook, Twitter and other websites to get the word out!

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48069

If we get 100,000 signatures then it could be discussed in the house of commons! "The e-petitions House of Commons Backbench Business Committee receives notification from the Leader of the House once an e-petition has 100,000 signatures. The Backbench Business Committee meets weekly when the House of Commons is sitting to hear representations from MPs for debates in backbench time. The Committee can consider any subject for debate, including those raised in e-petitions or national campaigns but an MP must make the case for their consideration."

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoreau
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2013, 07:49 AM
RE: Calling all UK Critical Thinkers! Please consider signing my petition!
Interesting, I'll sign it. When I started college we were all given a book on critical thinking, something they didn't give out the start of last year.

There must be a delay in updating, it still says theres only one sig.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
11-04-2013, 08:09 AM
(11-04-2013 07:49 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Interesting, I'll sign it. When I started college we were all given a book on critical thinking, something they didn't give out the start of last year.

There must be a delay in updating, it still says theres only one sig.

I think its very well written, succint and to the point.
I'll forward this to my friends in the UK, wish I could sign it.

FC

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Done.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
11-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Thank you both FSM_scot and DJL for signing it! You two were the first 2 signatures I think Big Grin
Thanks Full Circle for forwarding it Smile

11-04-2013, 10:35 AM
(11-04-2013 10:23 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Thank you both FSM_scot and DJL for signing it! You two were the first 2 signatures I think Big Grin

I was the third.

I'm guessing you were the first

11-04-2013, 10:36 AM
(11-04-2013 10:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 10:23 AM)TheLogicalAthiest Wrote:  Thank you both FSM_scot and DJL for signing it! You two were the first 2 signatures I think Big Grin

I was the third.

I'm guessing you were the first

Yeah, I guess I have automatically signed it, seen as I created the petition.

11-04-2013, 11:00 AM
So, less than .7% of students take this class voluntarily, from what I read. Public schools in both the UK and the US (among other countries) teach math, reading and writing by force and most graduates can't balance a checkbook, understand a simple legal contract or, write a job resume.

And you're thinking that teaching people critical thinking by force will be different?

Frusty

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bbeljefe's post
11-04-2013, 11:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 11:52 AM by bemore.)
It requires info that im not willing to share with the guberment, however I have shared it on my facebook (oh the irony of what I have just said)

EDIT: Ah fuck it I have signed it.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
11-04-2013, 01:32 PM
(11-04-2013 11:00 AM)bbeljefe Wrote:  So, less than .7% of students take this class voluntarily, from what I read. Public schools in both the UK and the US (among other countries) teach math, reading and writing by force and most graduates can't balance a checkbook, understand a simple legal contract or, write a job resume.

And you're thinking that teaching people critical thinking by force will be different?

Frusty

By force? Now childhood education is force? Your ideology carries you into realms of unreason.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user