Calling in the Experts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2015, 08:21 PM
Calling in the Experts
On another forum I frequent a thread took a churchy turn and I made a tongue in cheeck remark about the crucifixion story being a fable.

One poster was obviously irritated by the remark and made a claim that the apostle Paul was a Roman tax collector at the time. I replied that I had never heard that and asked him to point me in the direction of such reading material.

The religion topic is taboo on this board and I have a lot of respect for this poster and many other regulars (I have met many of them), so I don't want to be a bull in a China shop on this, but I've never heard that about Paul.

Any of our local experts have any thoughts here about a respectful rebuttal?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2015, 08:29 PM
RE: Calling in the Experts
(04-06-2015 08:21 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  On another forum I frequent a thread took a churchy turn and I made a tongue in cheeck remark about the crucifixion story being a fable.

One poster was obviously irritated by the remark and made a claim that the apostle Paul was a Roman tax collector at the time. I replied that I had never heard that and asked him to point me in the direction of such reading material.

The religion topic is taboo on this board and I have a lot of respect for this poster and many other regulars (I have met many of them), so I don't want to be a bull in a China shop on this, but I've never heard that about Paul.

They claim Paul (Saul of tarsus), was a tax collector at the time of the crucifixion?

No. He had visions some 50 (?) odd years later.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-06-2015, 08:45 PM
(04-06-2015 08:21 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  On another forum I frequent a thread took a churchy turn and I made a tongue in cheeck remark about the crucifixion story being a fable.

They could be confused with a passage in Romans 13:6-7 where Paul says: "For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed." It is my understanding that Paul was advocating paying taxes--not that he was a tax collector himself.

Matthew was a tax collector. Paul was a tent maker: (Acts 18: 1-4-) "After this, Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. There he met a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had ordered all Jews to leave Rome. Paul went to see them, and because he was a tentmaker as they were, he stayed and worked with them."

I don't know of any passages that specifically say Paul was a tax collector, but would be interested to hear others input....
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-06-2015, 08:53 PM

I guess I'm not seeing what his being a tax collector has any bearing in regards to Jesus' crucifixion.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
04-06-2015, 08:55 PM
(04-06-2015 08:53 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

I guess I'm not seeing what his being a tax collector has any bearing in regards to Jesus' crucifixion.

Yeah, I'm not sure I understand that part either?
04-06-2015, 08:56 PM
He's saying that Paul's written records are verification of the crucifixion.
04-06-2015, 09:03 PM
(04-06-2015 08:56 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  He's saying that Paul's written records are verification of the crucifixion.

Why Paul more so than others?
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
04-06-2015, 09:07 PM
I guess because he's saying Paul was a tax collector in the area at the time of the crucifixion. Never heard that before so that's why I brought it here.

I'm no expert so I tread softly so as not to stick my foot in my mouth.
04-06-2015, 09:12 PM
Are they talking about the supposed 500 witnesses written by Paul in his letter to the Corinthians? If that is what they are talking about--the Corinthians had no way of validating Paul's claims as they lived very far away from said occurrences (over 700 miles).
04-06-2015, 09:22 PM
I cannot recall Paul being a TC from the scripture.

And I agree, what has that to do with Jesus???

The believer is clutching at straws.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post