Calvin's Bizarre Doctrine.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Calvin's Bizarre Doctrine.
The sixteenth century French theologian Jean Calvin was surely one of the most egocentric and evil of all those involved in the Reformation.

A prolific writer and alterer of scripture, his influence required a good deal of rejection, and wanderings over many countries and parishes. Most essentially he is associatet with the Scottish Church and to a lesser degree Baptists and Congregationalists. He was instrumental in the burning at the stake of Michael Sevetus the prominent figure in Unitarianism and made the 'kindly request' that the latter be beheaded instead. Another enemy Jacques Gruet was also tortured and beheaded.

While some aspects of Christianity today may hold small grains of truth, Calvinism reeks of blood lust, irrationality and down right evil. Calvin taught predestination, the notion that God had predestined a select group of people to inherit his kingdon (who would wannt to go there?) while the remnant simply went to Hell irrespective of how holy they might be. Thus believers today are damned if they do and damned if they dont........" God adopts some of the hope of life and judges the others to eternal death" Calvin. As for Jews he spoke of them as "profane dogs"

I don't know to what degree much of this stuff is preached today, and maybe worse, in our main stream Churches. Probably not too much.......... as a non theist I like to make myself aware of just where the origins of these alleged moral arbiters really lie.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
29-11-2011, 05:38 PM
RE: Calvin's Bizarre Doctrine.
(29-11-2011 05:19 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I don't know to what degree much of this stuff is preached today, and maybe worse, in our main stream Churches. Probably not too much.......... as a non theist I like to make myself aware of just where the origins of these alleged moral arbiters really lie.

Though in many different degrees, Calvinism is preached to this very day. Calvinists vs. Armenian. Don't doubt it for a moment that Calvin is alive and well.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
29-11-2011, 05:45 PM
I prefer Kelvin.

There's been some mention of Calvin going on, and, I don't know, maybe it's my Gwynnies, but one leads to the other in the stupid brain. Cause Calvin just seems like an idiot. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
29-11-2011, 05:50 PM
(29-11-2011 05:19 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  The sixteenth century French theologian Jean Calvin was surely one of the most egocentric and evil of all those involved in the Reformation.

A prolific writer and alterer of scripture, his influence required a good deal of rejection, and wanderings over many countries and parishes. Most essentially he is associatet with the Scottish Church and to a lesser degree Baptists and Congregationalists. He was instrumental in the burning at the stake of Michael Sevetus the prominent figure in Unitarianism and made the 'kindly request' that the latter be beheaded instead. Another enemy Jacques Gruet was also tortured and beheaded.

While some aspects of Christianity today may hold small grains of truth, Calvinism reeks of blood lust, irrationality and down right evil. Calvin taught predestination, the notion that God had predestined a select group of people to inherit his kingdon (who would wannt to go there?) while the remnant simply went to Hell irrespective of how holy they might be. Thus believers today are damned if they do and damned if they dont........" God adopts some of the hope of life and judges the others to eternal death" Calvin. As for Jews he spoke of them as "profane dogs"

I don't know to what degree much of this stuff is preached today, and maybe worse, in our main stream Churches. Probably not too much.......... as a non theist I like to make myself aware of just where the origins of these alleged moral arbiters really lie.

Predestination (Doctrine of Election) was taught and widely believed well before Calvin. Calvin was influenced by Augustine. The reason the Doctrine of Election is attached to Calvin is because of the Reformation and Calvin bringing it into the modern forefront.

The teaching is actually Pauline and is implied in the Gospels.

Ephesians 1:4-6 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love 5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.

Acts 13:48 48 When the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord; and as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed.

Romans 8:28-30 28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. 29 For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; 30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.

Romans 9:11-20 11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God's purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls, 12 it was said to her, "THE OLDER WILL SERVE THE YOUNGER." 13 Just as it is written, "JACOB I LOVED, BUT ESAU I HATED." 14What shall we say then? There is no injustice with God, is there? May it never be! 15For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION." 16So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy. 17For the Scripture says to Pharaoh, "FOR THIS VERY PURPOSE I RAISED YOU UP, TO DEMONSTRATE MY POWER IN YOU, AND THAT MY NAME MIGHT BE PROCLAIMED THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE EARTH." 18So then He has mercy on whom He desires, and He hardens whom He desires. 19You will say to me then, "Why does He still find fault? For who resists His will?" 20On the contrary, who are you, O man, who answers back to God? The thing molded will not say to the molder, "Why did you make me like this," will it?

Romans 11:7 7 What then? What Israel is seeking, it has not obtained, but those who were chosen obtained it, and the rest were hardened;

1 Thessalonians 1:4-5 4 knowing, brethren beloved by God, His choice of you; 5 for our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction; just as you know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 13 But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

Revelation 13:8 8 All who dwell on the earth will worship him, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who has been slain.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
29-11-2011, 05:53 PM
see...?

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
29-11-2011, 05:54 PM
(29-11-2011 05:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I prefer Kelvin.

There's been some mention of Calvin going on, and, I don't know, maybe it's my Gwynnies, but one leads to the other in the stupid brain. Cause Calvin just seems like an idiot. Tongue

Thats two claims to insanity/idiocy you have recently made...Calvin/ Dennett.
Are we making progress!!!Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
29-11-2011, 05:55 PM
(29-11-2011 05:53 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  see...?

Pretty sure this topic was inspired because of me.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
29-11-2011, 06:35 PM
(29-11-2011 05:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(29-11-2011 05:53 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  see...?

Pretty sure this topic was inspired because of me.

So you are an egoist as well as a follower of garbled nonsense!
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
29-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Interesting. I'd heard of predestination before, but no ome I knew as a theist followed that belief system. Peraonally, it strikes me as a more aggressive brand of crazy than others. Most theists think they are special to God, but not all claim that the rest of us can't do anything about it...

Better without God, and happier too.
[+] 1 user Likes Azaraith's post
29-11-2011, 06:51 PM
(29-11-2011 06:43 PM)Azaraith Wrote:  Interesting. I'd heard of predestination before, but no ome I knew as a theist followed that belief system. Peraonally, it strikes me as a more aggressive brand of crazy than others. Most theists think they are special to God, but not all claim that the rest of us can't do anything about it...

Yes Azaraith.
If Christians feel that God offers an even playing field for all, so be it.
But as for claiming that a whole mass of people must suffer for the
edification of a select (for what reason?) group one would expect a "perfect" God to devise a more humane method. Undecided