Calvinism...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2014, 01:02 AM
Calvinism...
In which God simultaneously loves us and hates us.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DebateAChristian...r_love_me/

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2014, 01:19 AM
RE: Calvinism...
Calvin also said that the Genesis creation story was 'baby-talk.' Not that the Calvinist evangelicals who descend from his theology listen, as they profess a literal belief.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2014, 01:22 AM
Hmmmm. Pro-tip: Not many of us here are gonna put ourselves through a reddit thread if we don't have to for a thread here. You're gonna have to come up with a cogent thought of your own and present it, and then we'll discuss.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
24-01-2014, 07:31 AM
(24-01-2014 01:22 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Hmmmm. Pro-tip: Not many of us here are gonna put ourselves through a reddit thread if we don't have to for a thread here. You're gonna have to come up with a cogent thought of your own and present it, and then we'll discuss.

Yeah, I quit reading once it got all wall-of-texty. This was basically when the Christian went on to actually attack the citations.

From what I can tell, the first mistake the atheist made was to even get into this debate. The second was that he tried to provide citations for "God doesn't exist", when he could have simply said that he said those words to illustrate the point, and go on to provide the remaining citations about killing apostates and God sending us to hell for non-belief.

Basically, don't try to prove unprovable points. I can't prove God doesn't exist, but I also can't prove that invisible pink unicorns don't exist. I just don't see a reason to believe they do, so functionally speaking, I live my life irrespective of their potential existence. Stick to the winnable arguments.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
24-01-2014, 07:41 AM
did anyone else read the screen name as 'dildo' or was that just me?Blush

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
24-01-2014, 07:45 AM
(24-01-2014 07:41 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  did anyone else read the screen name as 'dildo' or was that just me?Blush

Thanks, now that's all that I see when I look at his name... Weeping

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
24-01-2014, 08:09 AM
(24-01-2014 01:02 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  In which God simultaneously loves us and hates us.
Your ability to portray the beliefs of others without misrepresenting them in an overly simplistic manner is quite impressive. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
24-01-2014, 08:55 AM
(24-01-2014 07:41 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  did anyone else read the screen name as 'dildo' or was that just me?Blush

I did, but I also saw absolutely nothing weird about that. I can't tell if this says something about me as a person, or if it's a side effect of me posting on a board with a user who's name is phonetically "hey, would ya blow me?".
[+] 6 users Like RobbyPants's post