Camp Quest donations via TTA

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Camp Quest donations via TTA
If you want to help send kids to a secular camp experience...

https://campquest.org/civicrm/contribute...et=1&id=47

Join Thinking Atheist in Raising $15,000 for Camp Quest

Help us raise $15,000 by October 15!

Seth Andrews at the Thinking Atheist wants you to help Camp Quest raise $15,000.

We served more than 1,200 campers in 2016. Your support helps more campers attend Camp Quest sessions by helping us support more camp sessions around the United States.

Imagine more than 2,000 youth ages 8-17 participating in one of thirty five week-long sessions held only a car drive away from every major city in America. That's our vision for 2020, and with your help we can get there!

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2016, 08:03 PM
RE: Camp Quest donations via TTA
(23-09-2016 07:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If you want to help send kids to a secular camp experience...

Seth Andrews at the Thinking Atheist wants you to help Camp Quest raise $15,000.

We served more than 1,200 campers in 2016. Your support helps more campers attend Camp Quest sessions by helping us support more camp sessions around the United States.

Imagine more than 2,000 youth ages 8-17 participating in one of thirty five week-long sessions held only a car drive away from every major city in America. That's our vision for 2020, and with your help we can get there!

Bolding mine. You meant 2015, yes? I'll have to use the non-internet option for a monetary donation. I think there is a CampQuest near me here in California. I'll look into that. Maybe I can volunteer some time...though I'd have to "open the door of my closet" with the wife to do that, her being a "True Believer" and all.
23-09-2016, 08:08 PM
(23-09-2016 08:03 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 07:28 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If you want to help send kids to a secular camp experience...

Bolding mine. You meant 2015, yes? I'll have to use the non-internet option for a monetary donation. I think there is a CampQuest near me here in California. I'll look into that. Maybe I can volunteer some time...though I'd have to "open the door of my closet" with the wife to do that, her being a "True Believer" and all.

The cool thing about Camp Quest is that it is open to everyone. Theist and atheist...they are also taking steps to be more accessible to LGBT kids. It's a camp where they are allowed to be who they are. It's not anti-theist...but it's not a church based camp...those are available almost everywhere.

**I copied the italicized area so it may be a mistake on the page.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
23-09-2016, 08:17 PM
(23-09-2016 08:08 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(23-09-2016 08:03 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Bolding mine. You meant 2015, yes? I'll have to use the non-internet option for a monetary donation. I think there is a CampQuest near me here in California. I'll look into that. Maybe I can volunteer some time...though I'd have to "open the door of my closet" with the wife to do that, her being a "True Believer" and all.

The cool thing about Camp Quest is that it is open to everyone. Theist and atheist...they are also taking steps to be more accessible to LGBT kids. It's a camp where they are allowed to be who they are. It's not anti-theist...but it's not a church based camp...those are available almost everywhere.

**I copied the italicized area so it may be a mistake on the page.

OK, I went and read the CampQuest page online. The Southern California location is TBD, so I don't know if that is actually going to happen. I'll contact them and see. If it is in summer 2017 and I'm still alive (you never know), I may volunteer, instead of just sending money. I ain't gonna be a Cabin Counselor, I'll tell you right now. I value my sleep too much for that.
23-09-2016, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2016 08:47 PM by cactus.)
I get that it's not intended to be anti-religious, but after hearing about a "Flying Spaghetti Monster dance" at one of the camps, I have some reservations about that. Each camp counselor has their own motives for being there, obviously.
For anyone who's interested in being a camp counselor, please don't lead a goddamn Flying Spaghetti Monster dance. Laugh out load
This camp should be better than that. The counselors are there to make sure the kids learn and have a good time, not to teach them how to mock theists. The kids can do that on their own time Wink

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
23-09-2016, 09:19 PM
The only reason I would go there (beyond the atheist volunteer part) would be to teach rocket science. It isn't on my agenda to mock anyone or anything, but to teach a little science. If it is close by, I would do it. I've done it for free for many units of the Boy Scouts, when I was a volunteer leader.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
23-09-2016, 09:23 PM
(23-09-2016 08:43 PM)cactus Wrote:  I get that it's not intended to be anti-religious, but after hearing about a "Flying Spaghetti Monster dance" at one of the camps, I have some reservations about that. Each camp counselor has their own motives for being there, obviously.
For anyone who's interested in being a camp counselor, please don't lead a goddamn Flying Spaghetti Monster dance. Laugh out load
This camp should be better than that. The counselors are there to make sure the kids learn and have a good time, not to teach them how to mock theists. The kids can do that on their own time Wink

It may well be that the parents had that sort of "prejudice" when the kids were sent there. That camp should simply be there for kids to have a good time, less the religious "stamp".
25-09-2016, 09:19 AM
I actually offered them to volunteer in 2017 (as I have time to save up for a flight) and am waiting for a reply.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)