Campbell's Soup supports mandatory "GMO" labeling, whatever the fuq that means

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2016, 03:00 AM
Campbell's Soup supports mandatory "GMO" labeling, whatever the fuq that means
http://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/newsr.../labeling/
Unsurprisingly, I didn't see the word "transgenic" anywhere in this press release (probably because it sounds too similar to "transgender" and would evoke images of Caitlyn Jenner in more than half of their readers), but one number that really stood out to me was "...92% of consumers in favor of putting it on the label."
Wow, just wow. Facepalm

Quote:At Campbell, we are unleashing the power of our Purpose, Real food that matters for life’s moments.
No "Real Food" fallacy.

Quote:Today, consistent with our Purpose, we announced our support for mandatory national labeling of products that may contain genetically modified organisms (GMO) and proposed that the federal government provide a national standard for non-GMO claims made on food packaging.
I like how they capitalize "Purpose." It makes them sound like a new-age cult.

Quote:We put the consumer at the center of everything we do.
The customer is always right (even when they're wrong Smile).

Quote:I want to stress that we’re in no way disputing the science behind GMOs or their safety. The overwhelming weight of scientific evidence indicates that GMOs are safe and that foods derived from crops using genetically modified seeds are not nutritionally different from other foods. In America, many farmers who grow canola, corn, soybean and sugar beets choose to use genetically modified seeds and have done so for nearly twenty years. More than 90% of these four crops in America are currently grown using GMO seeds. It takes an average of thirteen years to get a GMO seed approved by the government for safety. Ingredients derived from these crops are in many of our products. We also believe that GMOs and other technologies will play a crucial role in feeding the world.
Read "Our concerned customers are most likely full of shit, but we'll cave to them anyway, because that is our ultimate PURPOSE. PUUURRRRPOOOOOSSE. Bow down to the PURPOSE BowingBowingBowing"

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like cactus's post
09-01-2016, 04:29 AM
RE: Campbell's Soup supports mandatory "GMO" labeling, whatever the fuq that means
Ever had yellow corn, orange carrots, or dairy milk? You've eaten 'GMO' products then, we all have. We've been doing GMO work since long before Gregor Mendel started experimenting with pea pods, long before man invented the Abrahamic religions. Modern dogs and house cats are products of GMO for fuck's sake...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 6 users Like EvolutionKills's post
09-01-2016, 05:05 AM
RE: Campbell's Soup supports mandatory "GMO" labeling, whatever the fuq that means
GMO labelers are the equivalent of anti-vaxers of the food industry. They think they know something they don't, they demand to have info they neither will actually read nor understand if they do.

Facepalm

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 6 users Like Heatheness's post
09-01-2016, 05:39 AM
It's a simple system. The people who don't worry about such conspiracy theories will see the label and shrug. The True Believers will see it and go "Thank Buddha, somebody's listening!" and buy their stuff.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
09-01-2016, 06:34 AM
So do I, and with the proudly GMO element too. You can also add the taglines of GMOs, yes we use product advancements all of human agricultural is based upon. Or GMO, saving millions of suffering starving communities and individuals across the planet.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
09-01-2016, 06:55 AM
[Image: 8nPa7kn.jpg?1]

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
09-01-2016, 07:02 AM
IMO all of that is beside the point. Food should have the most extensive labeling possible because I want to make my own decisions as to what I put into my mouth.

I want to know if my fish was wild caught or farmed, I want to know which country my produce comes from, I want to know about EVERY additive, I want to know nutritional values and everything else there is to know.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-01-2016, 07:11 AM
I'd prefer to see labels stating specific food standards. Ie the label should be for non GMO (or organic) and should be entered into voluntarily by companies who see a market for their label: Let capitalism sort out what consumers value.

Oh wait. That already exists?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
09-01-2016, 07:17 AM
(09-01-2016 07:11 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'd prefer to see labels stating specific food standards. Ie the label should be for non GMO (or organic) and should be entered into voluntarily by companies who see a market for their label: Let capitalism sort out what consumers value.

Oh wait. That already exists?

Luckily it works a little but slowly, my tiny local supermarket is now labeling fish, has a reasonably extensive organic selection, does offer processed meats without non-natural nitrates (recently a world wide, scientifically researched warning went out that processed meats caused cancer - because of artificial nitrates).

I want to know that stuff. I am not sticking everything into my mouth that the food industry decides is good for me. I want to be able to function as a thinking human being and make my own choices.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
09-01-2016, 08:35 AM
It's hilarious that people demand a label to tell them it's GMO (as we all know, pretty much everything we eat is genetically modified), but don't care that the labels don't have relevant info like what the animal was fed and when/where it was slaughtered!

I fuckin hate people. Humans are really stupid animals.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post