Campbell's Soup supports mandatory "GMO" labeling, whatever the fuq that means

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2016, 08:39 AM
RE: Campbell's Soup supports mandatory "GMO" labeling, whatever the fuq that means
(09-01-2016 08:35 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I fuckin hate people. Humans are really stupid animals.

I agree. Maybe we should factory farm humans instead. I've heard we're pretty tasty.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
09-01-2016, 08:42 AM
RE: Campbell's Soup supports mandatory "GMO" labeling, whatever the fuq that means
(09-01-2016 08:39 AM)cactus Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 08:35 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I fuckin hate people. Humans are really stupid animals.

I agree. Maybe we should factory farm humans instead. I've heard we're pretty tasty.

I think that's a far better idea than I should.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post
09-01-2016, 09:17 PM
(09-01-2016 07:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 07:11 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'd prefer to see labels stating specific food standards. Ie the label should be for non GMO (or organic) and should be entered into voluntarily by companies who see a market for their label: Let capitalism sort out what consumers value.

Oh wait. That already exists?

Luckily it works a little but slowly, my tiny local supermarket is now labeling fish, has a reasonably extensive organic selection, does offer processed meats without non-natural nitrates (recently a world wide, scientifically researched warning went out that processed meats caused cancer - because of artificial nitrates).

I want to know that stuff. I am not sticking everything into my mouth that the food industry decides is good for me. I want to be able to function as a thinking human being and make my own choices.

Non-natural nitrates? Huh All processed meat has nitrates.
Nitrates are nitrates. There is no difference between a 'natural' chemical and a synthesized one.

The link to cancer is as yet unproven; the evidence is equivocal.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
10-01-2016, 12:38 AM
(09-01-2016 07:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 07:11 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I'd prefer to see labels stating specific food standards. Ie the label should be for non GMO (or organic) and should be entered into voluntarily by companies who see a market for their label: Let capitalism sort out what consumers value.

Oh wait. That already exists?

Luckily it works a little but slowly, my tiny local supermarket is now labeling fish, has a reasonably extensive organic selection, does offer processed meats without non-natural nitrates (recently a world wide, scientifically researched warning went out that processed meats caused cancer - because of artificial nitrates).

They classified processed meat as a carcinogen as deadly as tobacco, diesel fumes and asbestos. You actually have a less chance of getting cancer by eating processed meat than you do smoking cigarettes. It's actually the more you eat in a short period of time the higher the risk so if you don't eat a lot then your risk of cancer from the meat will stay small. It's like the Sun. Stand out in the sun too long and you can get skin cancer but going outside for a bit to go to the store and do your everyday errands is not going to give you cancer.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news...55349.html

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
10-01-2016, 10:22 AM
(10-01-2016 12:38 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 07:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Luckily it works a little but slowly, my tiny local supermarket is now labeling fish, has a reasonably extensive organic selection, does offer processed meats without non-natural nitrates (recently a world wide, scientifically researched warning went out that processed meats caused cancer - because of artificial nitrates).

They classified processed meat as a carcinogen as deadly as tobacco, diesel fumes and asbestos. You actually have a less chance of getting cancer by eating processed meat than you do smoking cigarettes. It's actually the more you eat in a short period of time the higher the risk so if you don't eat a lot then your risk of cancer from the meat will stay small. It's like the Sun. Stand out in the sun too long and you can get skin cancer but going outside for a bit to go to the store and do your everyday errands is not going to give you cancer.

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news...55349.html

Well, yes, the "in moderation" clause applies to just about everything you eat or do.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
10-01-2016, 10:27 AM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2016 10:34 AM by cactus.)
Red meat is not "as deadly" as cigarettes, when you're looking at the relative amounts that the average user would actually consume. It's grouped with cigarettes, based on the amount of evidence showing that it can cause cancer, not how likely it is to cause cancer.

My Facebook feed was blowing up with "OH MY GOD, BACON IS KILLING US ALL!!!" when that report was first published.

[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
10-01-2016, 10:39 AM
(09-01-2016 09:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  Non-natural nitrates? Huh All processed meat has nitrates.
Nitrates are nitrates. There is no difference between a 'natural' chemical and a synthesized one.

The link to cancer is as yet unproven; the evidence is equivocal.

Well, it isn't always true that synthesized things equal the naturally sourced ones in all aspects - when we synthesize we do the best we can at the time. For instance, synthesized medical cannabis just doesn't work, something is missing and they either haven't figured out what or they don't know how to synthesize it. We can't even feed a person intravenously - no matter how many lipids are added, the patient loses weight consistently.

The trouble with all of our processing of things is that it is impossible to test how every chemical interacts with every other chemical, given that we eat processed foods, are exposed to all kinds of environmental chemicals, have our own specific chemical compositions and take meds. Even if we could perform such extensive tests, no one would/could pay for them.

So, personally, I just like to keep it simple. Exposure limited to mostly items we have evolved to tolerate doesn't actually mean one misses out on anything. As long as there are good labels, it's easy.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-02-2016, 08:02 PM
Campbell's Soup?

I'm sure the way too much salt in them is not genetically modified. Laugh out load

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-02-2016, 08:50 PM
Considering salt is a mineral, I'd say you're probably right Wink

27-03-2016, 02:08 AM
People are unwittingly ingesting many GMO foods every day, and don't seem to know that they're (allegedly) suffering the ill-effects.
Maybe someone should tell 'em so they can start feeling crook? Big Grin

Some of these foods... Tomatoes, papayas, rice, potatoes, corn, soy beans, canola oil, squash and zucchini, sugar beets.

And this is a typical bullshit "warning" from a so-called Certified Organic store: Next time you're shopping, pay attention to these 10 common genetically modified foods. This extends to consuming meats where the animal was fed genetically modified feed, as you are ingesting these same chemicals. Genetic modification affects not only our health, but the wider ecosystem as farmers are increasingly using herbicides and pesticides which damages surrounding environments. To protect your health from potential harm, and our environment, make sure you look for Certified Organic products that are guaranteed to be free from genetic modification.

There's been more pseudo-scientific nonsense written about GMO foods than even the crap written in the Christian bibleā€”and that's saying something!

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.